Old 03-27-2023, 09:22 PM
Senior Chief

Default disc brake hold off valve? bonus - anyone using EBC pads?

Car in question is a 68 Bonneville that I converted from front and rear power drum to front disc brakes. I did the conversion using 69/70 spindles and a 1970 disk/drum master and retained the drum power booster and the 4 drum distribution block. After the conversion the brakes ok, but not truly amazing.

One piece I did not add was a hold-off valve.

I believe a hold-off valve was part of the 1970 design and seeing how no manufacturer is going to add unnecessary cost and complexity, how much would the braking performance change and how? Is there a correct valve for this application? I have a valve and bracket that I believe is for an A-body. Short of just trying it out any idea if it would work? Anyone done this? Should I get the B-body bracket?

Bonus question, I have added EBC brake pads to my 66 Mustang and they were a huge improvement over the jobber grade pads from the big box auto store. Has anyone tried the EBC pads on a full size Pontiac and what was your experience.

Old 03-27-2023, 10:52 PM
Senior Chief

I believe I have committed a common mistake here, and did not refer to things correctly. I really should have thought out my question a bit better. I did reuse the 4-drum distribution block, but did not install a proportioning valve at the master cylinder, adjustable or otherwise. I also did not add a hold-off (also known as a residual valve) in the rear brake line.

So asking my question more correctly, for folks who have done this conversion with GM parts what did you use and are you happy with the results.

For those who maybe didnt use GM proportioning valve and hold off valve, did you use an adjustable valve and then maybe an inline residual valve. If you used a residual valve, what pressure rating did you use?

Question about EBC red pads still holds too? Anyone use them, do you like them?