Old 03-27-2023, 11:25 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to thebrat1967
Default 1967 wiring help

Morning all,
After looking at all the schematic I could fine, I have no idea what the wires are for!
I have a 1967 326 2 barrel with a super turbine 300 convertible I am redoing.
On the drivers side of the top of the engine I have found a Blk/yellow, black and a green wire going up to the carburetor area, so no idea what they are for.
I also am replacing the distributer with a hei , the original wires off the coil are black and brown the brown will make a test light glow a bit when engine is cranking and the black wire is wrapped in a cloth and is hot with the key on. I am guessing it is direct from the starter and the other from the key, am I right on this as the color code is different.
help would be appreciated,
Sparky

Old 03-27-2023, 04:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The only '67 A-body I've had was a Cutlass with an Olds 330 and a ST300 trans; if I remember right, the 3 wires went to the switch on the throttle linkage assembly that told the torque converter when to switch pitch. Not sure if Pontiac is the same.

Converting to HEI: do you have a volt meter? The wire you found hot while the key is in run is probably running through a ballast resistor and not supplying full ignition voltage. If so, you'll either want to bypass the ballast resistor, or simply find another terminal on the fuse panel that has full ignition voltage in the Start and Run position, then run a decent sized wire up to the HEI. (It's been so long since I've done that conversion that I was able to just go to a junkyard and pull a length of wire off an HEI-equipped vehicle that already had the correct connector on the appropriate sized wire.)

Old 03-28-2023, 12:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Put away the test lamp.

To wire up the ign for HEI [ great choice ], get the common 'Bosch' 30 amp relay. 4 pin version; although 5 pin is ok, middle pin is not used.

4 terminals 85, 86, 30 & 87.

Ground terminal 85. Remove ALL wires on the existing coil [+] terminal [ probably two ] & connect to 86. If the coil has a condenser under this terminal, discard it. From the 'Bat' terminal on the HEI cap, run a wire to 87. From 30, run a wire to either the bat [+] terminal or large terminal on the alt. Install a 10 amp inline fuse in this line.
Finished.

Not sure about the carb wire, could be for an idle sol.

Old 04-15-2023, 04:20 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to thebrat1967

Thank you all