Old 11-20-2022, 01:23 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default compressor questions....

Looking at a used shop compressor.....

I'm just a hobbyist...and don't want too much...or not enough...

This one is 5hp...and 135 max psi....

Plan on running a DA sander......and other misc. air tools.... 1/2 impact...

Any input is appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	602342   Click image for larger version

Name:	data tag.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	602343  

Old 11-20-2022, 09:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Looks like 11 cfm at 90 psi. Look up the air consumption of the tools you want to use.

It’s a single stage compressor by the look of it. So it’s not going to be a real work horse. It really depends on the price.

Don

Old 11-20-2022, 10:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

ingersoll rand is a good brand, as long as its not worn out it should run a DA & other basic tools for a hobbyist with no problem. hopefully you can test it out to verify it builds pressure ok. even if the cfm rating is a little under the tools, it will still run them ok for a hobbyist that isnt using it for extended times or all day like a body shop.

looks like a 60 gallon which is what i have but a different sanborn brand, it will run a DA, cut off wheel, impact tools, & even a sand blaster without any problems or running non stop. i have a friend with that same IR that has painted his car in his shop running all sorts of body tools, a large stand up blaster & the paint gun. he bought it used too and its worked great for many years now.

Old 11-20-2022, 10:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My first compressor was a single stage IR of the same size and worked well for most intermittent tools (impact, ratchet, drill, non-DA air sander, etc.) but quickly ran out of air volume trying to do continuous work with high consumption tools (DA sander, blasting cabinet, sandblasting rig). Of those 3, the DA was not as bad as the blasting equipment but I did have to pause at times.

For a serious hobbiest, a true 5HP (single or 2 stage) 60 gallon is probably the smallest you should go. If the price and condition are right and you do not intend to do much blasting you should be happy.

I wanted to blast a lot of parts (frame, wheels, control arms, etc.) and blasting for 45 seconds and waiting for 3 minutes of recovery got old fast so I upgraded to a 7.5HP 2-stage 80 gallon 21CFM unit. I can now work continuously without feeling like I am abusing the compressor.

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
Old 11-20-2022, 11:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a single stage compressor with almost the same specs. for many years. It was a Campbell Black Max. 60 gal. Used it for all types of work you described. Sometimes, I had to wait and let it catch up for certain high capacity jobs. It was a nice reliable compressor. But I bought it new and really took care of it. Somewhere on a sticker or tag, there should be a production date. Also, I would open the drain tap underneath and see what comes out. If pieces of rust or really rusty water comes out, and allot of it, then the tank may be near the end of life. If it's under 20 years old and just a small amount of lite, rusty water comes out, it would be worth $400-450 tops IMO. If over 20 years old in good working condition $350-375 is all it's worth IMO. It's a $850.00 compressor new all day. See them on sale for $700.00 pretty regularly. IR is a good brand.

Last edited by mgarblik; 11-20-2022 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-20-2022, 01:57 PM
Senior Chief

In addition to the CFM output also pay close attention the horse power rating if you decide to look at other compressors.

I have an IR 2-stage 60 gallon and it clearly states it’s 5 HP running (Baldor motor). Many of the more consumer oriented compressors will say something like 5 HP*---the * referring to the fine print that the 5HP is peak HP (usually at start up) with 2.3 HP running.

Old 02-24-2023, 01:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You have 11.3 CFM at 90 PSI plenty of volume for what your doing.