The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 02-24-2023, 10:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think everyone considering painting their own car needs to have an honest self-assessment of what they consider "good enough". In my mind, I keep it simple. Earl Shieb good?, MAACO good?, crash repair body shop good?, OE quality good, Car show quality good? Those are the categories in my brain. I have painted 2 cars overall myself at my house. 68 Firebird was first at 18 years old. It was barely Earl Sheib good and I worked really hard on it. In my mid-30's I painted a 9 passenger Catalina wagon Barrier Blue lacquer. Built a wood walkway to get down the sides high enough to get the roof properly. Shot nearly 3 gallons of lacquer product. Then the sanding and buffing. Huge job. It was OE quality when finished. It took a 2nd place in a POCI convention show. I fully understand and appreciate the skill and work that goes into a restoration and quality paint job. That's the main reason I will only buy a car with good body and paint today. It takes a real artistic touch to produce great bodywork and paint. For our beloved Pontiacs, I just wouldn't want to drive one that was "Earl Sheib good", or "MAACO good". I would want it better than that. Everyone has a certain criteria they can live with. That's one reason "Rat Rods", and "Patina cars", became so popular. It was a way to make "road junk", acceptable to the car show folks.

Old 02-24-2023, 01:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think labor would be the bulk of the cost. I painted the race car a couple years ago in my garage, Took me 9 months in the garage after work, Have to have close to 800hrs in it, That included quarter panels and rust repair, I was meticulous with the body work because I was thinking of painting it black, After spraying you have more hours cutting and buffing,
I can see it costing upwards of $20000, I had $5000 in materials alone and then if I had to include my labor $$$$$$.
Would not want to do it for a living.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201201_153923.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	607806   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210217_160525.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	607807   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210321_153120.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	607808  

The Following User Says Thank You to Mike S For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2023, 12:20 PM

Have to agree with the above. I have a few friends that are painters. They do "side jobs". Also, they know body shops that rent their booths. All of the body work has to be completed, and basically in finish prime. Friend prices- $400-$2000 to spray color (I supply all of the supplies), $350-$450 to rent a booth. For a driver car, I have done all of the body work and prime, and I have had a few go to MAACO- with AMAZING results! Not show quality, but much better than factory! Again, I did all of the prep work and all of the masking (this is important). I had a "driver" 72 Monte Carlo that I needed sprayed. I prepped, scuffed, and masked the car... Paint $799 for the MAACO single stage, tipped the painter $100, and the thing came out amazing! Current owner frequently tells me the compliments he gets in it every time he takes it out...

1970 GTO (someday )
The Following User Says Thank You to ged2227 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2023, 10:36 AM

As I posted last year, I went to a local restoration shop and inquired what they would charge to paint my lemans sport. The car has one nickel size rust spot that developed under the vinyl top trim. No other rust. Told the guy that a driver's quality paint job was what I wanted. I was thinking maybe 10-12k. He came back with a quote of 25k maybe more he said. I was floored and disappointed knowing I would never pay that and therefore would never have a classic Pontiac with a nice paint job. Then I got pissed.

A few months later I pulled permits to build a garage so that I would have a suitable place to paint the car myself.

That was September 2022. I get my final inspection tomorrow. Ironically I have 25k in the detached garage same as my paint quote.

I actually appreciate the motivation the guy gave me.

I received much positivity from members on this board encouraging me to go ahead and paint it myself. Thanks for that.

Not sure how long it will take to get the car done, but plan to start working on it in a couple months.

I've read everything I can find on this board and spi forum as well. Probably watched 200 you tube videos on painting, blocking and sanding, stripping metal, etc.

What could possibly go wrong? Lol

I
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230222_172418054.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	607938   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230222_172409242.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	607939  

Last edited by Skidmark; 02-26-2023 at 10:44 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Skidmark For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2023, 03:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmark View Post
As I posted last year, I went to a local restoration shop and inquired what they would charge to paint my lemans sport. The car has one nickel size rust spot that developed under the vinyl top trim. No other rust. Told the guy that a driver's quality paint job was what I wanted. I was thinking maybe 10-12k. He came back with a quote of 25k maybe more he said. I was floored and disappointed knowing I would never pay that and therefore would never have a classic Pontiac with a nice paint job. Then I got pissed.

A few months later I pulled permits to build a garage so that I would have a suitable place to paint the car myself.

That was September 2022. I get my final inspection tomorrow. Ironically I have 25k in the detached garage same as my paint quote.

I actually appreciate the motivation the guy gave me.

I received much positivity from members on this board encouraging me to go ahead and paint it myself. Thanks for that.

Not sure how long it will take to get the car done, but plan to start working on it in a couple months.

I've read everything I can find on this board and spi forum as well. Probably watched 200 you tube videos on painting, blocking and sanding, stripping metal, etc.

What could possibly go wrong? Lol

I
If your ok without driving an old Pontiac for 5-7 years...and giving up fishing ,hunting, trapping, kids soccer games, shooting at the range, gardening, home repairs, vacations, and other life things....you should have enough spare time to finish it.

Old 02-26-2023, 03:48 PM
Senior Chief

As long as you stick with it and don't lose interest you'll get it done in a year. I did mine in 6 months working nights and and on weekends and enjoyed every bit of it, I also do it for a living so it probably went faster than DIY.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob in NH For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2023, 05:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob in NH View Post
As long as you stick with it and don't lose interest you'll get it done in a year. I did mine in 6 months working nights and and on weekends and enjoyed every bit of it, I also do it for a living so it probably went faster than DIY.
Rob....what is a driver quality paint Job ?

Guys approach me with that line too..

Which means ..I want to see my face in the paint...but don’t want to pay for it...lol

If you put out Driver Quality paint work....the next door neighbor sees it and asks “ Who Did that for You “ ....then says to himself ...I ain’t going there.

It’s hard to half ass a paint job...for me anyways.

The Following User Says Thank You to MUSLCAH For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2023, 05:36 PM
Senior Chief

I feel I always do better than a driver quality paint job. My driver quality and the customer driver quality are 2 different jobs.

Old 02-26-2023, 06:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Took me about six months to complete the actual paint and body work, very little rust. Went down to bare metal. Probably 10 hours a week I averaged. Turned out great. Everyone that has seen it thinks it looks great, show quality no, better than OEM yes.

Without a doubt doable at home. Beyond me why anyone would put a $20k paint job on a $30k car. For the 95% of us that just have basic cars, not rare 100k cars, who needs 20k paint. I've got about $2.5k in materials in mine.

Old 02-26-2023, 07:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Took me about six months to complete the actual paint and body work, very little rust. Went down to bare metal. Probably 10 hours a week I averaged. Turned out great. Everyone that has seen it thinks it looks great, show quality no, better than OEM yes.

Without a doubt doable at home. Beyond me why anyone would put a $20k paint job on a $30k car. For the 95% of us that just have basic cars, not rare 100k cars, who needs 20k paint. I've got about $2.5k in materials in mine.
There is still something for everybody out there. Most of us with hobby cars have some skill level in one area or another. I agree spending 20K to paint a car worth 30K is not smart economics. But passion and nostalgia play a big role often. There are many, many really nice cars still out there that loving owners have spent way, way too much money on restoring them. Now for a variety of reasons , those owners need to sell them. There are some great buys out there on over-restored and non-popular restored cars available for half of what the owners have invested. IMO, those are the cars to buy now. No paint necessary. I think painting a car is much more difficult than a full mechanical restoration, but I have more mechanical skill than body and paint. Others may enjoy body and paint work but wouldn't touch an engine overhaul. Work to your strengths, save money and enjoy the hobby. If resale is the primary criteria, it's not a hobby anymore.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2023, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSLCAH View Post
If your ok without driving an old Pontiac for 5-7 years...and giving up fishing ,hunting, trapping, kids soccer games, shooting at the range, gardening, home repairs, vacations, and other life things....you should have enough spare time to finish it.
I know you make a living painting, so its kinda personal for you . I get it, but not every member here can drop 25k plus for a paint job. That's where i'm at. I'll finish the exterior start to finish in 1 -1.5 yrs maybe 2 if I change colors. I only work 18 hrs a week to make a living and I'm not much fun since I don't fish, hunt, trap, watch sports, have kids, shoot guns regularly (although I have a "few"). I do mow (gardening). I also find vacations to be a hassle. As you can see I have a lot of time to work on the car. I have to always remind myself that not all of us members here are the same or have all the same interest. The only thing many of us have in common is just our love of old cars. Specifically Pontiacs, I can appreciate that, its what I come here for.

I know you've been following Roger 1 and his GTO complete restoration as I have. I think he is about 2.5 yrs in on his and basically finished. Not bad considering he does it for fun. He is just one example.

Last edited by Skidmark; 02-26-2023 at 07:47 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skidmark For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2023, 07:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
There is still something for everybody out there. Most of us with hobby cars have some skill level in one area or another. I agree spending 20K to paint a car worth 30K is not smart economics. But passion and nostalgia play a big role often. There are many, many really nice cars still out there that loving owners have spent way, way too much money on restoring them. Now for a variety of reasons , those owners need to sell them. There are some great buys out there on over-restored and non-popular restored cars available for half of what the owners have invested. IMO, those are the cars to buy now. No paint necessary.
Truth...much cheaper to buy someone's nicely restored car when they are done, than to pay to have it done.

Unfortunately I belong to the latter, mainly due to health issues and limited time. My 69 was the last resto I undertook and had to sell mid way through when I got sick.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 02-26-2023, 08:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There are some extremely nice big Pontiacs out there for sale now for reasonable money, really nicely restored stuff. I might have to pick up one of those sometime .. for like $12-15K you can buy an outstanding big car.

Old 02-26-2023, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post

If I get your results, I'll be happy even if it takes me twice as much time and money. Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to Skidmark For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2023, 08:49 PM
Senior Chief

Some things require a talent, something you can’t learn. No matter how long I try I’ll never paint like Picasso. Either you got it or you don’t. I helped a 77 year old guy paint my car. I learned very quickly I didn’t have the eye to do body and paint on any car myself that I would be happy with. If you believe you’ll be happy however it turns out go for it, nothing wrong with that. If a guy pays 20 grand to paint a 30k car and is happy with it nothing wrong with that either, in my book. For me, it’s a hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Following User Says Thank You to DavesGTO For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2023, 02:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I do understand spending that kind of money on some cars. Mine for instance that I bought graduation day from high school .. and still own 45 years later. I guess one aspect of it is I don't have $20k to spend on a paint job

Old 02-27-2023, 08:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I did a frame off on my 72 vert doing everything myself within 2 1/2 years. I did have help with the engine rebuild. My paint had lots of orange peel that sanded and buffed nicely. I have about 3 grand into the paint, but it is Lamborghini orange pearl ($1600/gallon) and cleared. I did this while working full-time. I'm a hobbyist and this is my fourth time painting a car of my own. None came out perfect without a little extra work. But, the cost was worth it.

Old 02-27-2023, 09:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you don't want a superior paint job, some of the Maaco shops can do an acceptable job. I ended up doing my 67 GTO myself with PPG 9300 SS black. A hell of a lot of work but it came out really nice. After 15 years I'm going to respray it this year and also my 62 Grand Prix.

Old 02-28-2023, 01:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine was painted for around $5k after years of bodywork that l did myself. I probably had another thousand or so in it from buying primer, filler, sandpaper and that sort of thing. I don't charge myself anything for labor so I'm not counting that LOL.
I can see flaws in my car but they are pretty minor and I get lots of compliments on it. The color itself was laid down by a friend who knows what he's doing and has a paint booth.
As someone stated above, I did not go cheap on the materials. I think I paid right at $1,000 for a gallon of the base coat. No hardware store sandpaper, primers or fillers, I got everything at the auto body supply store. I also talked to the employees a lot during the process.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2023, 02:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just got my Judge back from paint about a month ago. It was about $23k for paint/rechroming/striping and upholstery (labor - I provided legendary seat kit).

Can't recommend the place I took it to enough. Conservative Auto Body in San Diego. Phil Sanchez. He's having a hard time turning a profit so prices might go up from here but he is very skilled and very trustworthy.