The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 02-08-2023, 05:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Jamb paint recommendation

So, I will never be able to afford to paint my Safari but I do want to do the door jambs and under hood area body color. I plan to use a $15. Harbor Freight gun and do it in my driveway.
What’s the recommended paint? I have sprayed lacquer back in the day, not sure what’s best now. The idea is cheap & easy!
Also, the car was repainted probably 30 years ago and the color is wrong, does not match the factory paint. Would you match what’s on there now or go with the factory color just in case I win the lottery and can afford a paint job? Figuring a ‘63 Safari would be pretty expensive! A lot of sheet metal!

Old 02-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Senior Chief

If you take a piece of, or the whole car to your local auto paint store they should be able to match it. If you are doing all the jams and the whole engine bay, a pint won't be enough. I would shoot it in single stage urethane. They might have a mix for one of the lessor tier paint lines they carry, such as the type of paint fleets use (PPG Shop Line or Omni are low cost for that brand). Problem might be the lesser tier paint might not have the right toners, but might be close enough.

Old 02-09-2023, 01:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Since it sounds like a whole car paint job is probably never going to happen, I say match what you have on the exterior now to paint jambs same color. If you win the lottery, then you can afford to redo the jambs with rest of car the original color at same time.

Old 02-20-2023, 02:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs72lemans View Post
Since it sounds like a whole car paint job is probably never going to happen, I say match what you have on the exterior now to paint jambs same color. If you win the lottery, then you can afford to redo the jambs with rest of car the original color at same time.
I agree...what he said.

Old 02-21-2023, 11:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yup...single stage ...probably 2 coats and done !