Old 02-11-2023, 11:28 AM

Default 65 GTO convertible dome light

Forum members-
My 10A dome light fuse keeps blowing. Was working fine for 30 years. Can someone walk me through the proper troubleshooting steps?

Old 02-11-2023, 12:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It won't be the wiring to the switches because they Ground the circuit. If there was a problem with them the light would be ON all the time. Is there anything else on that circuit? If not check the wiring going TO the light. Could be a problem in the rocker panel area.

Old 02-11-2023, 12:40 PM

Some additional information-
The dome light (under dash on convertible) won't shut off, and rear courtesy lites don't turn on.

Old 02-11-2023, 12:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

the circuits back feeding. I had an issue with the courtesy lights going off when I opened the door and on when I closed it. the problem for me was the constant 12v accessory wire meant for the glove box light (that my car wasn't equipped with) -- they put masking tape over the live end and it wore through and was touching the metal dash since they didn't tie the wire back. Had a heck of a time tracing that problem and only found it when I happened to have my head up under the dash as I replaced the fuse and saw the spark from the corner of my eye (back when I could see instead of being old and blind now!)

Old 02-12-2023, 03:35 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I'm still checking for the short with my multimeter. Nothing yet. I'm thinking it may be the headlight switch