Old 02-13-2023, 05:30 PM

Default ENGINE MOUNT ALIGNMENT

Advice needed. I put a 461 stroker in 68 GTO with Butler oil pan. Initially the oil pan was hitting the frame cross member bolt that holds the brake line in place. I was advised I needed to put the shims under mount brackets. I purchased new reproduction mounts and shims from Ames. The left one is ok,not know why the right one won't line up? Appreciate help. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1280.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	607136   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1281.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	607137  

Old 02-14-2023, 03:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

From your pic it should go right in place. Have you tried wiggling the motor around to get it to drop? If not its hanging up or binding on something.

Old 02-14-2023, 04:46 PM

Thanks for your response Bruce. I have tried wiggling the hell out of it. Today I took the right mount off and put the old one back on. I put the long bolt through the mount first, then bolted it to the block. Now the left side was slightly off, but I was able to get a punch in the holes and pull them together. I thought a 69 400 would drop in a 68 GTO with no issues. Boy was I wrong.

Old 02-14-2023, 05:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

68 and 69 cars, and engines are the exact same specs as far as mounts and positions. The Butler mounts on the other hand have had more than one thread posted about not dropping into a chassis using the same engine. and chassis.

Some people report theirs dropped right into place, while others have to fight them into place. I would expect maybe a quality control issue is the reason some go in without a struggle, as opposed to others that have problems such as the OP is describing. The first run of these mounts were about 50/50 as to whether they'd fit easily, or not. Judging from the number of posts fitting, or not even close.

Myself, I just use a turnbuckle to secure the left cylinder of the engine as a limiter, and am not interested in using solid, or high tech motor mounts as a way to keep my engine in proper orientation in the chassis. Been using that system for over 50 years, never failed me in any race cars that I've owned. The "KISS" method has worked well for my own cars.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated