THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2023, 08:52 PM

Default Update on the 1971 455 HO car I bought from Franks

Been picking away at it slowly but surely as time/life allows. A couple people have asked me about it so I thought I would show updates to where I am now.

Frame/undercarriage/suspension/engine/tkx trans/rear end are all done. attacking the rest as I have an hour here or there.I'm just a hobbyist, not a professional doing this in his garage. I kept the original parts that were important but many of the common parts I did get rid of, they were pretty trashed and a dime a dozen. I know it will not be everyones choice and taste what I am doing but it is mine and I am building it to enjoy.

First pics are from when I first got it early this year. I was blessed to start with a really solid platform

After

Last edited by chaosrob; 08-22-2023 at 08:59 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chaosrob For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2023, 06:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice!

The Following User Says Thank You to JSchmitz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2023, 06:34 AM

Where did you get your belt system?

Old 08-23-2023, 07:32 AM

Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchmitz View Post
Nice!

Old 08-23-2023, 07:32 AM

I bought it used from a member here. It is a march system
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSZR View Post
Where did you get your belt system?

Old 08-23-2023, 07:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks great, quite a before and after

Old 08-23-2023, 08:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yea, that is progressing nicely.

The Following User Says Thank You to Half-Inch Stud For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2023, 08:39 AM

Huge difference. Looking good.

The Following User Says Thank You to Skidmark For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2023, 10:05 AM

Thanks all

Old 08-23-2023, 10:29 AM
Senior Chief

I have an observation regarding that rear sway bar and it’s design. I don’t understand how it can be effective given its attachment point locations.
I would think a pair of them should be attached to the body of the car to provide enough leverage to control body lean.
I don’t need a bunch of answers here sidetracking this build thread, it’s just an observation, not a question.

The car looks great and it’s looking nearly finished from what I see, I’m very happy for you regarding this as I have my own project that is nearly done after many years of little progress. Keep up the hard work and please keep posting pictures.

Last edited by nas t eh; 08-23-2023 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-23-2023, 01:51 PM

I do not understand this post at all. If you have issues with their design you should post a thread with that as your topic. To post negatives and then add that you do not wish to see rebuttals to it in my update thread is ridiculous. Did it make you feel better?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nas t eh View Post
I have an observation regarding that rear sway bar and its design. I don’t understand how it can be effective given its attachment point locations.
I would think a pair of them should be attached to the body of the car to provide enough leverage to control body lean.
I don’t need a bunch of answers here sidetracking this build thread, it’s just an observation, not a question.

The car looks great and it’s looking nearly finished from what I see, I’m very happy for you regarding this as I have my own project that is nearly done after many years of little progress. Keep up the hard work and please keep posting pictures.

Old 08-23-2023, 04:36 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrob View Post
I do not understand this post at all. If you have issues with their design you should post a thread with that as your topic. To post negatives and then add that you do not wish to see rebuttals to it in my update thread is ridiculous. Did it make you feel better?
I guess there is no room to comment when something looks odd. My point was, If you want to explain the mechanics of how that rear bar functions - send me a PM, if you want to give me crap for the post... send me a PM. And this was meant to be directed at all the other followers so we would leave the build thread alone, far too many get sidetracked.

Like this one is now.

Sorry,

Since it is your thread, if you want to explain or give me more feedback and mess up your thread, feel free. If you want the moderators to get rid of my posts on your thread, I have no issue with that either.

Last edited by nas t eh; 08-23-2023 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-23-2023, 04:40 PM

not really, I would think that would be more geared towards the tech section rather than bird dropping in an update thread. Regardless I have attempted to break the link to the pictures and I will vacate this forum, using it only as a resource for parts. I will leave the thread starting and posting to the more mature, opinionated with a lack of self control. have fun with the thread
Quote:
I guess there is no room to comment when something looks odd. My point was, If you want to explain the mechanics of how that rear bar functions - send me a PM, if you want to give me crap for the post... send me a PM. Leave the build thread alone, far too many get sidetracked.

Like this one is now.

Sorry

Old 08-23-2023, 05:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I thought this was the lobby where questions and comments were allowed except for politics ( that would be the Clubhouse).

After that note, OP, your progress looks amazing and I would like to ask if you liked the rear cover ( Perfect Launch) and felt that it will help the rear stay together?

Old 08-23-2023, 05:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Chaosrob, don't leave because of one odd comment. Nas T eh, you could take up your question with Hotchkis, I think they're pretty well recognized as knowledgeable about suspension design. From their website:

The Hotchkis Extreme Sport Rear Sway Bar for your 1964-1972 GM A-Body is designed to eliminate the hard mounted factory design rear bar allowing for better rear suspension articulation in extreme usage vehicles. This system allows the rear sway bar to slightly pivot reducing fatigue and stress placed on the sway bar in the factory design. Handling and traction are dramatically improved while the adjustable design allows for tunability for specific car set ups. This system is highly recommended for high horsepower cars or any GM A-Body owner looking for improvements in handling and traction.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2023, 10:03 PM
Senior Chief

I thought Hotchkis knew what they were doing too, but looking at the bar in that now gone picture had me scratching my head.

What I remember from physics class so very long ago. For the lever to work the fulcrum needs to be fixed in place. When both ends of the lever and the fulcrum all move ...not much happens.

In no way was it a personal attack to the builder or his car.... however that is not how he saw it.

Old 08-24-2023, 04:06 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrob View Post
Hey chaosrob don't let this be the defining moment here. Things are always dicing on open forums. You just gotta work and weed thru it. Threads get derailed all the time but come full circle. I'm guilty of it and shame on me! I was looking forward to watching your progress. The response that put you off was odd and I didn't understand the why/where he was coming from either.

Old 08-24-2023, 08:55 AM

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=854558

I noticed the OP can get upset quickly.
Here is another example. Post #3 and #4.
Pretty much comes out of nowhere.

One thing I've learned is if you hang around here long enough, you'll likely get your feelings hurt at some point. It comes with the territory.
For me the good by far out weighs the bad.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Skidmark For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2023, 09:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I have an observation regarding that rear sway bar and it’s design. I don’t understand how it can be effective given its attachment point locations.

There's nothing wrong with that sway bar setup. The rear end is the anchor. It's kind of the inverse of your front sway bar. Transfers force from one side to the other. Similar to a factory rear bar. Just uses end links for a little more flexibility.

Old 08-24-2023, 10:50 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchmitz View Post
There's nothing wrong with that sway bar setup. The rear end is the anchor. It's kind of the inverse of your front sway bar. Transfers force from one side to the other. Similar to a factory rear bar. Just uses end links for a little more flexibility.
I’m not seeing it, but thanks.

Last edited by nas t eh; 08-24-2023 at 11:29 AM.
Closed Thread