Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 01-10-2018, 11:28 AM

Question Replacing '68 Carpet

I want to replace the carpet on my '68 GTO which is not cut correctly. It a 3 speed with the console. I have good information about the cuts for the seat brackets. Does anyone have some pictures about fitting it over the hump? Thanks, MaxWT

Old 01-10-2018, 12:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you remove the seats and let the carpet sit in there for a while it will help it conform to the contours better. Then you will be able to get a better idea of where you need to "make" it fit. I see you're in Ohio...if you can do this in a heated garage it will conform better to the contours of your floor and the hump.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:23 PM

Yes, I would not try this in a cold garage. Thanks for the reply.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Also...once you have the carpet more or less conforming to your floor you can install the seat bolts (I use longer than stock for this trick , not to install seats) from underneath the car and when they lift the carpet a bit you can cut an X in the carpet to help locate the holes after the carpet is final installed. You can do the same thing for seat belt bolts but it's a bit trickier. The drive shaft may be in your way.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxWT View Post
Does anyone have some pictures about fitting it over the hump? Thanks, MaxWT
What is it you need to see?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0042.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	472235  

Old 01-11-2018, 10:17 AM

Thanks for sending the picture. Do you know if original carpets had a "bare floor" space between the seat brackets cut out of the front carpet?

Thanks for the way to mark the location of the seat bolts/nuts.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've never seen any bare floor on any GM car from this era...so, I'd say 'no'.
Another tip...Use an old soldering iron or woodburning iron to make holes in the carpet for seabelt bolts and so on. Prevents unraveling.
For the seat mounting brackets themselves, I made the factory style 'L' cuts so that foot of the bracket remains hidden under the carpet but bolt is accessible for removal, if needed, by simply raising the flap of carpet away from the mounting point.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:05 PM

Greg, Thanks for answering my questions and posting the picture.
MaxWT

Old 01-11-2018, 02:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No problem. I have a drawing somewhere of the carpet cuts too if you need that.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:00 PM

Default Bare space under bucket seats...

Attached pic is of my two owner, Fremont built 1966 442's original carpet set after I removed it.
It DID have a cut out from the front section of carpet under each seat that left a small section of bare floor exposed.

On my new set I did replicate the cuts to hide the track feet (details highlighted), but I didn't cut out the part that exposed the floor.

I've done other carpets, but never had another one with the oem carpet still in it, so i can't say for sure if this was common or not. I've seen the cuts for the track feet before, but never the bare spot under the seat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	factory-carpet-cuts1.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	472380   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00004_zps694e5e31.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	472381   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00008_zps3bd458f8.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	472382  

Old 01-11-2018, 08:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

ranbow, I really should have known better than to say 'no'... The fact is, I would not have paid that much attention to that detail back when these were daily drivers.
By the way, your photo on the left is one of the pics I referenced for my carpet cuts. I found it somewhere online.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
ranbow, I really should have known better than to say 'no'... The fact is, I would not have paid that much attention to that detail back when these were daily drivers.
By the way, your photo on the left is one of the pics I referenced for my carpet cuts. I found it somewhere online.
Cool! Glad to know they are out there helping folks out! Thats why I posted them!

I just remember the bare floor part because i thought it was odd- which is why i took pics of it.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A heat gun is your friend as the new carpets take some work to lay well on the hump. Let it sit as suggested but it must be warm to fit it correctly.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Any body know if i can get a NEW ACC Molded Automatic carpet to fit my Manual trans hump floor, or should i return it for the Manual carpet?

Old 02-24-2018, 10:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Might be able to work it out if you have a console to cover the cutout for the shifter porch.

Old 02-24-2018, 11:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Might be able to work it out if you have a console to cover the cutout for the shifter porch.
No console. Just Shifter Boot & ring. My 2003 carpet is for Manual and has been baggy around the Manual hump and between the seats.

Old 02-25-2018, 01:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can always try it. As long as you don't cut it I guess no real harm done.

Old 02-25-2018, 02:23 PM

Rambow, I have done some more research and have been able to see an original '68 GTO carpet. It is cut so that there is a bare space of about 4" by 12" between the seat supports under the front buckets. Also, the binding does not go completely across the carpet like the replacement carpets. In fact, it is offset. The binding over the hump I several inches closer to the front than the binding at the edges. I have also seen an original carpet in a '69 Judge that is cut the same. Evidently, GM decided to save about 6 inches of carpet per car. If anyone is planning on entering Concours judging it is best to have the carpet cut as original.

Old 02-26-2018, 03:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I want to replace the carpet on my '68 GTO which is not cut correctly. It a 3 speed with the console. I have good information about the cuts for the seat brackets. Does anyone have some pictures about fitting it over the hump? Thanks, MaxWT
I hijacked this Thread fair & square ... My prior carpet was loose over the hump between the seats: DID NOT hug the hug the hump properly and that drove me nutty for over a decade.

My chance is now to put in a new MANUAL hump carpets ( the new AUTO hump carpet i accidentally ordered, is being returned) ACC carpet said " the AUTO hump carpet won't fit the Manual hump, so return it for $30 shipping.

I've done a few 68 & 70 GTO/ LeMans carpets the past 35 years but only had this 1 baggy hump carpet from 13 years ago. Trouble is not knowing how i did it correctly all the other times.

Think it a matter of paying attention and using great lighting during the install.
Has there been a Thread response that described how to get a tight fit?

Old 02-26-2018, 05:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Rambow, I have done some more research and have been able to see an original '68 GTO carpet. It is cut so that there is a bare space of about 4" by 12" between the seat supports under the front buckets. Also, the binding does not go completely across the carpet like the replacement carpets. In fact, it is offset. The binding over the hump I several inches closer to the front than the binding at the edges. I have also seen an original carpet in a '69 Judge that is cut the same. Evidently, GM decided to save about 6 inches of carpet per car. If anyone is planning on entering Concours judging it is best to have the carpet cut as original.
I don't think it's a matter of saving carpet, I think it's the ease of stuffing it back underneath after you bolt the tracks in. extra material underneath could also bunch up and interfere with the seat tracks if something wedged down there.

Back in the day (late 80's), there was no difference between manual and auto repop rugs, it was one rug fits all 68-72 A body for $70 at the swap meets. I've got an auto rug I put into my 69 4spd back in 07, just a matter of cutting the jute out of the way and careful trimming on relief cuts under the console. wouldn't work as well without the console to cover up the stretch though.