Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-10-2022, 02:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Picked it up today and drove it. She is great! Clutch pressure is lighter than with my old street clutch. Gotta get used to the MacLeod clutch - can’t just tap the gas and feather the clutch, or you stall. (Fortunately, the new motor fires up again instantly)

Last thing to do is fix the heat gauge. Damn thing told me I was running 230, but my laser thermometer on the sender unit housing read 185.

Thanks all for your tips!

Old 03-10-2022, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a clutch that took a lot of leg force to disengage that broke 2 ball studs off the block, so be aware.

041 cam with Rhoads lifters 1.65 rockers
RPM rods
800 Cliffs Q Jet on Holley Street Dominator
ST-10 4 speed (3.42 first)
w 2.73 rear gear

__________________________________________________ _______________________________

469th TFS Korat Thailand 1968-69 F-4E Muzzle 2
Old 03-12-2022, 05:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris65LeMans View Post
Picked it up today and drove it. She is great! Clutch pressure is lighter than with my old street clutch. Gotta get used to the MacLeod clutch - can’t just tap the gas and feather the clutch, or you stall. (Fortunately, the new motor fires up again instantly)

Last thing to do is fix the heat gauge. Damn thing told me I was running 230, but my laser thermometer on the sender unit housing read 185.

Thanks all for your tips!
Great news! I struggled for a long time with 'hot' temps showing on my '65 dash gauge. Then I got a temp sensor from Lectric Limited, which solved my 'hot' issue. The reading dropped 30 degrees on the gauge, to the actual temp.

Old 03-12-2022, 11:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I dont' get all the clutch fuss. I used to drag race a (ram?) dual disc unit that held everything behind a 535. I even twisted the splines in an upgraded driveshaft yoke. That clutch never failed.

Now, single disc units - high dollar centerforce, etc, - were no better than just upgraded Borg Warner units. Even Paul Spotts used to sell me a "brute force" clutch for street use - was as good as the high dollar deals. IMHO, most of the single disc units are the same.