Old 05-04-2011, 12:28 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 44 years Ago Today

May 3,1967 I took delivery on my brand new (special ordered) Tyrol Blue 67 GTO Hdtp. Since that day the only time I haven't owned at least one GTO was when I was in the Army. Everybody has pictures in their mind of the special days of their lives. Of course I have family memories, but I still remember May 1st '67 the first time I saw my brand new GTO sitting on the lot at Kole Pontiac in Oak Lawn, IL. In my mind it was the perfect car. I ended up working at Kole Pontiac, while there I added a clock ($15.86), Red Wheel Liners ($24.52), and a Wood Gearshift Knob ($3.20). Sadly in August of 1968I drove it on my way to enter the Army. On an empty stretch between 115th and
111th on Cicero Ave in Alsip, IL I did a burnout and took it up to 100 MPH. That was the last time I saw my car, it was sold soon after I entered the service. On March 6, 1972 I took delivery on a new 72 GTO, which I still have. I know there's a lot of GTO owners out there, but I'm lucky enough to have taken delivery on 2 brand new ones.
The VIN on my 67 was 242177P261831, anybody seen it?

Bill Nawrot
Countyrside, IL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67 GTO Window Sticker 001.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	243335  

Old 05-04-2011, 07:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What a great story, thank you for sharing...

Old 05-04-2011, 08:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Ditto!

Great story, and it would be so cool if somehow your old 67 would be able to surface and find it's way back to you!

Old 05-04-2011, 10:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

YNOBIL, again, thanks for sharing. Great story. I was too young to buy a GTO in the '60's, but my very first car in the '70's was a Platinum Silver/black 4 speed '66 GTO. I've never been GTO-less since. I hope we can somehow find that '67 of yours....that would be the greatest!!

Old 05-04-2011, 11:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was born in the summer of '66.

44 years ago today I was figuring out how to walk without tipping over, drooling on myself and drinking out of a bottle.

I guess not much has changed...

1971 GT-37 - 350/M38, Rosewood Metallic/Black
www.GT-37.org
Old 05-04-2011, 01:26 PM
Senior Chief

My father graduated from Maine Township HS East in the spring of '63. He immediately went to work for Seltzer Pontiac on Irving Park Rd in Chicago.

He drove the first GTO's to hit the market in Chicago that fall as a car porter @ Seltzer. Later he moved into the Parts Dept where he sold parts to Pontiac racers like Arnie Beswick, Mike Garfinkel (sp?), and the late Ray Bisig.

My dad has owned over 200 pontiacs in his lifetime. Some of his best memories are those tied to the Pontiac action he saw firsthand at Seltzer Pontiac back in the early to mid 60's (before being drafted).

Old 05-04-2011, 02:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default my story 66 GTO

I took delivery of my 66 GTO in Oct. of 66, it was a demo out of Michigan with 2200 miles on the clock, I had alot of problems with small things like water pump, odometer, neutral safty switch, and the tires appeared to have more miles on them then the odometer, see where I'm going here, oh well, 18 years old, new car, working for GM here in Defiance, Ohio life was good, in Jan 68 uncle sam wanted me for the unwinable war over there so off I went for 2 years, I did manage to keep the car at my folks place in Pa. on my return from uncle sam in July of 69 I went brain dead and traded my GTO for a new 69 Z28, what a piece of junk, and yes I'm one of the reasons them cars are worth so much today cause I destroyed mine, well knowing where the new owners lived who bought my GTO in 69 I managed to get it back in 76, threw a quick paint job on it, 4 speed, and 3 new carbs and had a good time till around 85 then stored the car away in a damp barn, in 06 after I retired from GM the restoration began, what a mess, I tell everybody I'm restoring a parts car, but its allmost done now, the cars beautiful, white, black vinyle top, black interior, original motor, now a 4 speed soon to be a 5, 3/70 chevelle rear end disc brakes all options except allum. drums, and air lift. well thats my story, would I do it again? probably, I'd definintly start sooner. jd grim

Old 05-04-2011, 03:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Seltzer Pontiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache Warrior View Post
My father graduated from Maine Township HS East in the spring of '63. He immediately went to work for Seltzer Pontiac on Irving Park Rd in Chicago.

He drove the first GTO's to hit the market in Chicago that fall as a car porter @ Seltzer. Later he moved into the Parts Dept where he sold parts to Pontiac racers like Arnie Beswick, Mike Garfinkel (sp?), and the late Ray Bisig.

My dad has owned over 200 pontiacs in his lifetime. Some of his best memories are those tied to the Pontiac action he saw firsthand at Seltzer Pontiac back in the early to mid 60's (before being drafted).

All through the 80's I was buying NOS GM parts from closed up dealers as well as dealers that were cleaning house. By then Seltzer had changed to some girl's name (Judy?). In the mid 80's they closed up. I had the opportunity to go through their parts dept., but it was more then I could handle. I didn't see any real old stuff anyway. I heard they sold it off in an auction. And before any of you ask I sold nearly all my parts in 1998.
Bill Nawrot
Countryside, IL

Old 05-04-2011, 07:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by YNOBIL View Post
All through the 80's I was buying NOS GM parts from closed up dealers as well as dealers that were cleaning house. By then Seltzer had changed to some girl's name (Judy?). In the mid 80's they closed up. I had the opportunity to go through their parts dept., but it was more then I could handle. I didn't see any real old stuff anyway. I heard they sold it off in an auction. And before any of you ask I sold nearly all my parts in 1998.
Bill Nawrot
Countryside, IL
Hey Bill!! Welcome to the board!!!

Old 05-04-2011, 10:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPC-WU2 View Post
I was born in the summer of '66.

44 years ago today I was figuring out how to walk without tipping over, drooling on myself and drinking out of a bottle.

I guess not much has changed...
I was born in 1958, and I'm still doing that!

Old 05-04-2011, 11:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It was May of 1970 I got my first 66 GTO... used. 2nd one in 1973... used. This one, the 3rd, in July of 2007... used. Wasn't quite old enough to by a new 66 GTO seeing I was only 16 tht year, so I had to settle for the next best thing... used. LOL At least I'm only the 3rd owner of the 3rd one. And I can't kick on that.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 46 Years Ago Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by YNOBIL View Post
May 3,1967 I took delivery on my brand new (special ordered) Tyrol Blue 67 GTO Hdtp. Since that day the only time I haven't owned at least one GTO was when I was in the Army. Everybody has pictures in their mind of the special days of their lives. Of course I have family memories, but I still remember May 1st '67 the first time I saw my brand new GTO sitting on the lot at Kole Pontiac in Oak Lawn, IL. In my mind it was the perfect car. I ended up working at Kole Pontiac, while there I added a clock ($15.86), Red Wheel Liners ($24.52), and a Wood Gearshift Knob ($3.20). Sadly in August of 1968I drove it on my way to enter the Army. On an empty stretch between 115th and
111th on Cicero Ave in Alsip, IL I did a burnout and took it up to 100 MPH. That was the last time I saw my car, it was sold soon after I entered the service. On March 6, 1972 I took delivery on a new 72 GTO, which I still have. I know there's a lot of GTO owners out there, but I'm lucky enough to have taken delivery on 2 brand new ones.
The VIN on my 67 was 242177P261831, anybody seen it?

Bill Nawrot
Countyrside, IL
Now I've been a GTO owner for 46 years. Today I'll upgrade the story with some more GTO History. Oddly when I decided to buy my first new GTO I was working for Ford building new '67 Galaxie's. In fact part of my down payment was payroll checks from Ford.
I was only 18 and still in High School when I decided to buy a GTO. Originally I was going to get a red hardtop with a black interior and black vinyl top. That was until one day when I went to Borek Pontiac in Blue Island, IL. In their storage lot they had a red, blk., and blk. GTO, but next to it was a Tyrol Blue, blk. vinyl top, blue interior. I was immediately hooked on Tyrol Blue. Both of these cars were turbo's so I passed on them. When I did order my car from Kole Pontiac in Oak Lawn, IL. it was Tyrol Blue.
My special ordered car was built March 27, '67, delivered to Kole on May 1st, sold to me May 3rd (Legally to my mother, I was 18 and you had to be 21 for the dealer to sell you a car). The 6 or so days from building to sale to me is the same as when I eventually bought my new '72 GTO.

Me and my GTO April '68 (note the Red Wheel Well Liners)

Summer of '68 shortly before I sold it

Dusty engine compartment, Note 1; the random way the Pontiac, Mi. plant sprayed the black on the firewall, Note 2: The location of the "Fan Caution" label on the core support, Note 3: The little tiger was purchased at Dixie Square Mall. Trivia: After that Mall closed down they used it to film the famous "Blues Brothers" movie sequence where they raced through it destroying everything in site.

These two 18" X 20" showroom pictures were actually hanging in Kole Pontiac when I bought my car

Hope I'm not overloading the Thread / one more item: This is the model I built of my car back then. I had to steal the Rally I's from a '66 GTO kit

As Columbo would say, one more thing:

HPP Sept. 2014 https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1972...-gee-no-g-t-o/
YouTube MCACN 2014 http://youtu.be/1IPQVPevbxU
1967 GTO Conv
Old 05-02-2013, 11:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default WOW!

Those pics are "Priceless"! Thank you for sharing the stories and old photos!
PS - The Red fender liners are so cool!

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i like the old photos just a thought have you tried lost car regisrtry about your 67

Old 05-03-2013, 06:54 AM

I remember when I saw my first GTO. I was driving home from school in my '54 Studebaker, when a dark blue '64 pulled out into the street up ahead of me, got straight, and proceeded to obliterate the tires. I caught him at the next light and saw those three little letters. I wanted one. That began my decades long visits to Pontiac dealerships. I took delivery of mine on April 20th, 1966. I still remember the day. I never envisioned the effect that that car would have on my early life, but looking back, I can appreciate that now. It has been a long and happy relationship, and it will continue until the end.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:12 AM
Senior Chief

Lucky...
My first car at 16 was an 1981 Toyota Corolla.

You fortunate few were sooooooo lucky to have grown up back then.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

thanks for posting the original pictures. I love looking at these vintage photos.

In particular, I noticed how shiny the black plastic grille inserts were.
Also the white pinstripe despite the black vinyl top. I like it.

I sure wish I was around when these cars were new. Of course, there were probably a bunch running around as used cars in the early 70's that I just never noticed as a little kid. Unfortunately my folks bought a AMC Hornet wagon in the early 70's. Sigh.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6704gto View Post
i like the old photos just a thought have you tried lost car regisrtry about your 67
I just signed up to it the other day. Lots of real kooks posting on the site with all kinds of stuff that has nothing to do with finding cars. This is Chicagoland most likely my car rusted away after 10 years.

1967 GTO Conv
Old 05-05-2013, 09:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bill, I think I have some more pics of your 67 that Bob & Nancy M. gave me to scan in. They were of you and Bob showing off your Goats in the forest preserve back in 1968 ish. I'll see if I can find them!

Old 05-05-2013, 11:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripower View Post
Bill, I think I have some more pics of your 67 that Bob & Nancy M. gave me to scan in. They were of you and Bob showing off your Goats in the forest preserve back in 1968 ish. I'll see if I can find them!
Hi Norm, Hope you can find them, but Bob didn't own a car while I had this GTO. He bought his first GTO, a '66, around 1970. Maybe it's his '66 and my 3rd GTO, another Tyrol Blue '67 are what you have.
P.S. Brought the '72 out of Winter Storage today and took it for a quick spin. Your first time behind the wheel for a new season is just like being in the Midwest on the first 70* day after a long cold Winter.

1967 GTO Conv