Old 02-03-2024, 12:23 AM

Question Thoughts on Walker Quiet-Flow SS vs DynoMax Ultra Flo Welded mufflers?

I've got s '63 Bonneville with a stock 389 4bbl. Back in '86, I switched (back) over to duals, and installed a complete Kepich system in stainless (pipes and mufflers; no resonators). I've put very few miles on the system, the car has been inside, out of the weather, and driven in only some rain (and no snow since 1979...until flurries just a couple of weeks ago - LOL).

I'm breaking in a full engine rebuild (150 miles so far), and have become aware that the exhaust is not sounding as I'd remembered it (low and warm), but now rather a more "tinny" glug-glug-glug at idle (IOW, not what I want to drive onto the show field this spring). I do want to get the engine broken in and reevaluate after I adjust the carb some more and tweak the timing, but still, I don't think I'm going to be able to get the sound back to what it was.

I want stainless, and I'm eying both of the above choices. I'd like to hear personal experiences with similar engines as well as perhaps some more options. I don't want the car to sound like glass packs or straight through pipes (egad - she's a convertible; it's hard enough to carry on a conversation with the top down). For me, it's got to be as close to how she rolled off the showroom floor as possible (though a little more warmth to the tone wouldn't hurt).

(My daily driver is a 2006 Cadillac STS-V, with a supercharged Northstar. Starting that car remotely always brings a smile to my face; that sound never gets old. Take that, Tesla!)

'63 Bonneville Convertible
'56 Safari
'82 Firebird SE
Old 02-03-2024, 12:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What if you add resonators to your existing setup?

Old 02-03-2024, 12:58 AM

Thanks for the quick follow-up!

For me, it's got to be stock. These cars didn't come with resonators, which was why I opted to not install them back in '86. (In contrast, my brother's '65 Olds Starfire had resonators, and sounded amazing, so I was surely tempted.)

'63 Bonneville Convertible
'56 Safari
'82 Firebird SE