THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-10-2022, 10:11 PM
Senior Chief

8 years until I’m 65, seems like a long way off . Can’t see being able to retire until I at least hit Medicare age. Wife is on disability so she is eligible already but would still need a supplement plan for her too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-10-2022, 10:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesGTO View Post
8 years until I’m 65, seems like a long way off . Can’t see being able to retire until I at least hit Medicare age. Wife is on disability so she is eligible already but would still need a supplement plan for her too.

If your income is below the threshold you can qualify for Obamacare tax credits and your premium will be quite low.

Don

The Following User Says Thank You to dhutton For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2022, 10:31 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks! I’ll be looking into that!

Old 02-10-2022, 10:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunchT37 View Post
My plan too. If that works.
Im retiring at 62 because my wife says I can,,,she says maybe earlier but I doubt it. Im going to play WAY more golf.

Old 02-10-2022, 10:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I retired in 1998 when I sold my engineering company. Was only in my mid 40's at the time. Got bored and became a general contractor and inspector. Sold that business last year and now just work as an employee....when I feel like it. I don't think I'll retire 100% anytime soon. Good to have some interaction with other humans once in awhile. The nice thing is if I don't feel like working....I don't work!

Old 02-10-2022, 11:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nas t eh View Post
Gave my notice of retirement, last day is May 10th 2022, Started with Borden Chemicals on July 7th 1982.

The T/A gets to be a top priority now, so hopefully I stay healthy for a while and I can finish what I started and make it what I want.

My wife wants to travel and we have Grandkids scattered in Canada and the US to visit, I still have some rental properties to look after as well. So the car won’t get all my time and money, but it will get a lot more than it did for the past five years.

Rob
Congrats! Amazing you stuck with one company your entire career. I thought I was going to die in a cubicle but it worked out better than that!

I transitioned to afterwork in 2019. No regrets and I'm healthier now than I was in stressville.

I started playing pickleball in July a couple days a week. I told my wife it's like going out to recess in the 5th grade.

Enjoy your freedom and family!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shiny For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2022, 11:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Turn 65 last September, no plans to retire. Work is busy and $$ is good right now. No pension and can't see making it on SS. Thank God feel very good and will continue while I can. Been auto tech since '75 and they are in short supply and the young guy's coming up make me scratch my head.

TOM
The Following User Says Thank You to salem1912 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2022, 07:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I left the 40 hour a week grind in 2018. I did take a part time retirement gig to help with the transition (not that I needed the money, just felt that by keeping busy a few days per week I'd spend less...).

Actually thought I'd be fully retired by now as my wife and I love to travel. Of course, the "pandemic" has prevented traveling as much as we'd like. We did have a wonderful 11 day trip to Italy in October of 2019, but the 65th birthday cruise for my wife, sailing out of Barcelona, Spain that we booked in January of 2020, sailing in September of 2020 was canceled (did anyone want to be on a ship at that time?).

We're currently in the process of building our retirement home, hoping to be in it by late summer/early fall. Our grandson was just stationed in Okinawa last month, so we need to get a trip over there done soon.

I actually enjoy my current retirement gig. Three days per week I move everything from Covid specimens, vaccines, monoclonal antibodies, nuclear medicine, money (pharmacy deposits) and other supplies around Mayo Clinic properties in southern MN and western WI.

I'm not getting rich doing this, but I get about 10 - 13,000 steps in per day when I work and I have the satisfaction of knowing that I'm helping people that are less fortunate than I am. The company is extremely flexible when I want time off and I get PTO and paid holidays which is unusual for a part time gig. I also get to contribute to a Roth 401K with a company match.

I have yet to start drawing on my retirement investments, but I am collecting my SS.

At least we got a little domestic traveling done in 2021. We went to Nashville for the first NASCAR Cup race at the Nashville Super Speedway in June, back to Nashville with our daughter to go to the Grand Old Opry, the Ryman and then down to Huntsville for the Lee Greenwood Tribute Concert in October and we went to see our grandson get his "wings" at his Marine graduation ceremony in MCAS New River in NC in November.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Champ For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2022, 07:45 AM

I have been semi retired for almost a year now, I still work part time for about 20 hours a week. My job was an outdoor job and this year with the cold weather we have had around here I do not miss it a bit. When I retired I pulled my pension and 401K from the company and invested it with a company with my best interest in mind, best thing we ever did. I have 2 more years till SS and Medicare to go and both my current Bosses are in the same frame of mind, looks like we are all going to do the permanent retirement at the same time.
There are three of us from school working on cars we bought when we graduated in 1977. My 71 LeMans convertible, my Boss has a 77 Trans Am and my other friend has a 72 Trans Am. It would be nice to get them all done at the same time.

The Following User Says Thank You to foxgapLeMans For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2022, 08:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
The strangest feeling for me is when I woke up in the morning and didn’t have to be anywhere.

I agree with Sirrotica.
I also have people ask me what day it is?
Don't have a clue usually. I usually have to ask my wife if it's Sunday, so I don't have to go to the mailbox and see it's empty. (or even holidays)

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
The Following User Says Thank You to johnta1 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2022, 11:24 AM
Senior Chief

Congrats! Go see the world!

1971 Grand Prix 462ci SD Performance 6x heads
1962 Catalina 389
1968 Firebird 400-455 I haven't decided

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under GOD, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Moshier For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2022, 01:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"One pattern that shows up in human experience is that we tend to perceive time as passing by more quickly as we get older."

Two interesting articles on the subject if interested....

https://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2...eds-get-older/

https://www.capitalgazette.com/lifes...7gy-story.html

Personally I quit working 20 years ago. Almost seems like it was yesterday !
My related tid bit of advice would be to stay busy as best you can. Try to enjoy your retirement.

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve C. For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2022, 01:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
LOL..... you'll get used to it. Nice to not have to punch a clock, or be expected to run your life by someone else's clock. Take time to talk to someone, and not have to worry about accounting for your time to someone.
I've been retired for 5 months after 42 years in the automotive industry. Will be 61 at the end of this month. Not quite used to it yet, but for the first time since age 4, I have no commitments when I get up in the morning. My time is my own. No accounting to anybody. It's liberating and great. I've been keeping busy so far, and the days are racing by. I recommend retirement to anybody, and don't do it before you're too old to do what you want to do.

Old 02-11-2022, 01:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nas t eh View Post
Gave my notice of retirement, last day is May 10th 2022, Started with Borden Chemicals on July 7th 1982. The company has been bought/sold a couple times (raped and picked clean buy KKR and Apollo including Chapter 11, finally to be refinanced buy the creditors, mostly Banks and then sold again) The name has changed a few times and is currently Hexion Chemicals. We have always been quite profitable and solid, even while under the control of the financial rapists.

A College Friend and I have stuck with them trough it all. So after 39+ years of shift work and supervising, I finally get to have control of when I get up in the morning and what I will do each day. My wife and I are going to Mexico for a couple weeks before I finish off, as I want to escape the last of a challenging winter.

The T/A gets to be a top priority now, so hopefully I stay healthy for a while and I can finish what I started and make it what I want.

My wife wants to travel and we have Grandkids scattered in Canada and the US to visit, I still have some rental properties to look after as well. So the car won’t get all my time and money, but it will get a lot more than it did for the past five years.

Rob
Congrats Rob.
I'll be retiring on my birthday this May. Started with the local Telco in 1973 and after many acquisitions and mergers later I still do the same work just for a different company. My 401K grew like wild fire during the last administration and in January of this year I move the majority into a Annuity and the rest into more secure investments.

The Following User Says Thank You to racegto65 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2022, 01:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I recommend retirement to anybody, and don't do it before you're too old to do what you want to do.
Since I grew up in Erie PA, there were many union shops, because of the industry that had plants there. I can't even guess how many retirees I've known, and heard about, that retired at 65, then died within weeks, or months of their retirement.

I'm not sure why so many in that community expired just after their retirement. My ex father in law didn't make one year after he retired.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 02-11-2022, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
I recommend retirement to anybody, and don't do it before you're too old to do what you want to do.
I retired last June after 43 years of heavy forge press maintenance. The weeks go by in a blink of an eye but I’m enjoying every minute of it. First I tackled a bunch of small projects that were on the back burner which was a good feeling. Now pacing myself on long term projects in my garage. The greatest thing is flexibility of my schedule. I work when I feel like it, sometimes until 3 am other days starting at 5 am. The best part of my day is nap time. I sleep like a baby, funny how we go full circle. Enjoy it while you can!

1963 Lemans -428 +.030, SD Perf KRE heads, turbo 350, 9" Ford 3:90, 11.01@121

1956 Chieftain gasser, 461 stroked 400, SD Perf ported E-heads, turbo 400, Dana 3:70 10.40@125
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tom63LeMans For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2022, 02:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So I have a question that some of you guys may have already experienced. I am roughly two years older than my wife. I work full-time and my employer provides health insurance both of us. My wife has been working part time for the lst fifteen years, and I have always provided her insurance.

I realize that once I go on Medicare, she will have to buy her own insurance. My company's policy is that they won't cover my spouse unless I am covered. So if I retire this summer and go on Medicare, she will need to find her own insurance. Iknow she can get a policy through Obamacare, but I'm not sure what premiums will be. If I understand Obamacare correctly, you are quoted a price that is based on the type of plan and your age. If you qualify, there are subsidies. I think Obamacare looks at your income from the previous year. Do they look at the family income, or just the individual income?

Old 02-11-2022, 02:28 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
Since I grew up in Erie PA, there were many union shops, because of the industry that had plants there. I can't even guess how many retirees I've known, and heard about, that retired at 65, then died within weeks, or months of their retirement.

I'm not sure why so many in that community expired just after their retirement. My ex father in law didn't make one year after he retired.
This is one of my reasons for stopping now at 61.
My FIL retired at 56 and his health at the time seemed OK, but he was dead at 58.
He was a heavy smoker and drinker and worked in grain dust his whole carrier, so when his lungs and kidney decided they had enough he was gone in weeks.

Old 02-11-2022, 02:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom63LeMans View Post
"The weeks go by in a blink of an eye but I’m enjoying every minute of it."

And

" The best part of my day is nap time."
#1) I find that too. Someone explained as we age, we slow down. Hence, time seems to move faster. I guess, but I see the effect............

#2) I agree. It is like heroin to me. Maybe I need a support group. NapAnon.

Old 02-11-2022, 03:32 PM
Senior Chief

I retired recently, but chipped away at my 76 TA since buying it in 1980 and after I beat on it as a youngster does. Yee haw. Since retiring I have made use of the time for several things I couldn't do since my job had me away months on end, and home time was for the family. Now still have plenty of time for family (but kids are grown and on their own) and for my wish lists topped by rapidly getting the TA where I wanted it to, finally, and making improvements that capture great improvements that are now available. Enjoy the free time, and with the TA you will never be bored.