THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-09-2022, 08:44 PM

Default 1965 GTO - restored but I’m just not driving it that much anymore....should I sell?

I bought a 1965 GTO back in 2014 and spent a couple of years restoring it - it was a real labor of love project with my son, but now I just don’t seem to drive it that much. I installed a brand new Tremec TKX 5 speed last summer and it really is much more highway friendly now, but again, it spends way more time in the garage than on the road. Should I sell it or hold on to it for a while? And no, I don’t need to sell it....

Old 04-09-2022, 08:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 1965 GTO - restored but I’m just not driving it that much anymore....should I sell?

Why are you not driving it? Is the ‘passion’ gone? Maybe commit to driving it at least one day a week, weather permitting? For me, since you don’t need to sell, I wouldn’t. It would suck if a fire for that car was lit under you and the car is gone.

Edit: share some pics!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-09-2022, 09:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Q, I think the brakes are still needing attention. Been driving yours?

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 04-09-2022, 09:05 PM

No real reason I’m not driving it much - I guess my “passion” for working on it and driving has diminished some and life seems to get in the way, but it’s a great car and it sits more than it should....

The Following User Says Thank You to TPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2022, 09:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
Q, I think the brakes are still needing attention. Been driving yours?

Ha! Not since late fall. Still needs some tweaking/tuning. Soon as the weather holds out, she’ll hit the streets again!

Old 04-09-2022, 09:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPM View Post
No real reason I’m not driving it much - I guess my “passion” for working on it and driving has diminished some and life seems to get in the way, but it’s a great car and it sits more than it should....

Life certainly has a way of interfering. I get that. My 67 GTO sat forever with the engine out before I got my rear in gear and got the engine to a machine shop (that’s a whole ‘nother story). I have way too much of an emotional attachment to ever consider selling. It was my Dad’s car.

That said, obviously you have to do what’s right for you, bit I still say don’t sell, figure out a way to rekindle what made you love the car in the first place. Maybe take a road trip with your son!

Old 04-09-2022, 09:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just asking if you should sell it tells me you don't have an attachment to the car anymore. Sell it to someone who will enjoy it, put the money back and when the desire hits again, buy another one.

Old 04-09-2022, 09:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

TPM, either drive it every day and enjoy it or get rid of it. Of course that’s just my opinion. I never understood why cars can only be driven on certain days or only to car shows or whatever. Cars are meant to be driven, period. If you don’t find happiness in driving it, pass it on to someone who will. I think sometimes the joy of restoring is stronger than the joy of enjoying.

Old 04-09-2022, 09:51 PM

Yes, now that weather is warming up I’ve got to make a real effort to get it out and enjoy it.....But I guess in the back of mind I’m thinking it has potential to bring good $ now, and if I hold on to it, the market might go down significantly in the future.

Old 04-09-2022, 10:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If your looking out at a beautiful car sitting in the garage and thinking, "this car could be worth good money now", then probably it is time to sell it. IMO, it will never be worth much more than it probably is worth right now. On the other hand if your looking out at it and thinking, "where do I want to go in this car, what show, what cruise, what vacation, what race whatever", then you may be sorry later when it's gone. I sold my 68 Firebird 400 convertible stick because it was so original, I couldn't have much fun with it and was always worried about changing anything from stock. It just didn't fit what I enjoy doing. Now I have a non-numbers matching 62 Catalina and who cares what I do with it. Much more fun. You have to own the car that fits what you enjoy doing. Good luck with the decision.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2022, 10:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

TPM if you were to sell the car what would you do with the money? Do you have other hobby's? If your looking at it as a investment and you think now would get you the most money yes sell it. If you have a passion for the car or any muscle car than no don't sell. The weather around here lately doesn't help but fair weather is coming.Good Luck!

TOM
Old 04-10-2022, 01:40 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You should be out doing smoky burn outs any chance you get.

Old 04-10-2022, 08:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The obvious question to me is this one. Is your son interested in driving or owning it?

The Following User Says Thank You to 400 4spd. For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2022, 08:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

I dont drive my SD alot. I do still like the feeling it gives me. When I drive it I remember when I first got it and the 'thing's I did. I'm cautious now,stay away from traffic,no street racing. I always wanted a 65 4spd GTO. Ended up with all Firebirds and 1 63 2dr Lemans.

Last edited by sdbob; 04-10-2022 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Add words
Old 04-10-2022, 08:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Start driving it more. If you don't feel the love of driving it (which is kind of the point of owning older cars we love) then sell it. But I bet the more you drive it the more you'll want to drive it.

Old 04-10-2022, 09:17 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Talk to the T bucket crowed about investments. The muscle car thing will die with the generation. Soon it will be groups of millennials and their fart cans.
I’m in the same boat. Spent years and had a blast rebuilding my perfect “high school car”. Son never joined me like I had hoped as he has interests in sports, not cars. Couple passes down Woodward and a car show or two told me I wasn’t going to impress chicks at the drive in, nor did I want to sit in a folding chair complaining that people don’t get involved in car shows anymore, between bitching at folks who “ask me stupid questions” or dare to touch it…
Currently dealing with a wife with ALS, when this finally resolves and time permits, its gone.

Simply posting that question tells me you have already made up your mind. As it turns out, life is fleeting. List it in the sale section and move on to whatever makes you happy….

236 244@ .050 108 LSA .511 lift, duration 289,297 @.oo6
Edelbrock Aluminum 87cc round port heads Larger valves ,ported polished and cut
Powerjection3,T2 manifold, Try-y’s
Flowcooler water pump.
71 formula with TKO600,hydraulic clutch 3.42 posi and 26 inch tire.
17x9 YO Honeycombs with Nitto 555's
Old 04-10-2022, 10:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It's a tough one, I get it. I am a big fan of making Pro and Con lists, then weighing each side and seeing which is longer. The classic car thing has inherent Cons..... stranded investment..... taking garage space..... precluding use of funds for other purpose, etc.

I am evaluating my situation. Not an equity car like a Goat or TA, Formy, etc. But I have other parameters also.... Moving over the next year to very remote area in New Mexico. 30 minutes to any premium. 2 hours to no ethanol. 4 hours to any hot rod shop. I have no garage at my place down there, need to build, regardless, but it is a huge urgency if I bring car. Bring car, oh yes..... Over 2K covered transport cost (1200 miles). Or, gulp, drive it.

I haven't decided, but I finally came to peace with the potential of selling by framing it as an opportunity later, if I have the need. Opportunity to get an equity car. Opportunity to get that 4 speed. Look for a no air car. Not the end of the world.

Old 04-10-2022, 10:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

65 GTO /5spd and you're not driving it? Plenty of days year round in the mid Atlantic area that are suitable to take it out. I'm surprised your son isn't more interested. I get down on my car every once in a while and then I drive it and am ready to sell my soul to keep it going. Burn some gas

Old 04-10-2022, 01:24 PM

Thanks for the input.
Maybe it is a good time to sell - a red 65 tripower 5-speed might bring more $ now than I’d ever get in the future.....

Old 04-10-2022, 01:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
...I haven't decided, but I finally came to peace with the potential of selling by framing it as an opportunity later, if I have the need. Opportunity to get an equity car. Opportunity to get that 4 speed. Look for a no air car. Not the end of the world.

You will think it is the end of the world with no air in BFE, NM in June...