Old 05-23-2022, 01:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 79 Trans Am - What Should I Bid For This Car?

This car is available in a local estate sale auction. I don't know much about this generation TA so would appreciate some help on what to bid. Lots of photos but I haven't seen it in person yet. Looks to be in good shape and complete - just needs a bath and some TLC ?

https://www.proxibid.com/PONTIAC-TRA...ation/69034860

Thanks,
BJ

Old 05-23-2022, 01:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Maybe this thread currently running will help...

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=1979+Trans

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
The Following User Says Thank You to vertigto For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2022, 03:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thats a very nice looking car. I think the inch thick dust on the outside is from sitting on a dusty parking lot. Int. looks almost perfect, engine bay looks almost perfect, wheels look almost perfect. Shame there are no pics of the bottom. I would think that car would sell easily for $20k-$25k. If I didnt have one in the shop patiently waiting for its new heartbeat I would put a max bid around $20k and hope that it goes for a lot less. Automatic will bring the value down but its sill a very nice Tenth Ann. car.

The Following User Says Thank You to TAKerry For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2022, 09:17 PM
Suspended

The engine appears to have been repainted, so possibly some work or just tidying up. Also has A/C updated to R134a. I kinda like that it still has the original radio with the grey surround, and that the CD player below is still in a console insert to limit and major mods for those who like that.

The Following User Says Thank You to Trevor78 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2022, 10:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor78 View Post
The engine appears to have been repainted, so possibly some work or just tidying up. Also has A/C updated to R134a. I kinda like that it still has the original radio with the grey surround, and that the CD player below is still in a console insert to limit and major mods for those who like that.
I had noticed these as well and assumed that it had some engine bay detailing. I think the exterior will clean up nicely beneath the dust. I plan to inspect the car this week. Hopefully it is a good driver and looks as good in-person as it does in the photos sans the dust.

Were the engines in these cars in 79 still Pontiac motors or had they started with the Buick engines by then?

Thanks,
BJ

Old 05-24-2022, 02:53 AM

You cold still get a Pontiac 400 (last year available) but only with a 4-speed manual trans. The 301 was also available. This particular car was born with the Oldsmobile 403., as indicated by the 5th digit in the VIN (K). Decent smog era engine with good low end torque (320 or so) and decent fuel economy if that matters to you (in tune) The second digit, X, indicates a true 10th Anniversary Edition.

I won't opine on value but here are some, but not all, of the things that stand out to me. -

-Someone did their version of a "restoration" on it
-Repaint has been noted-Firewall and underside of hood painted body color. Original would be black.
-Wheel flares are really poorly fitting, but it looks like there also missing the vinyl gaskets around the edge that are meant take take up some of that gap.
-Core support is missing emissions label. Likely meaning is was replaced. Rust or accident repair? Who knows from here. Scrutinize closely in person.
-Interior upholstery has been replaced with low quality vinyl repops. These Anniversary cars were the only second gen cars to come with a genuine (silver) leather interior. Decent quality repops are available last I checked, but quite expensive.
-Headlights and radiator "upgraded" to LED/Aluminum.

What I like about it is that it's appears to be a real 10th Anniversary car that's both complete (though not totally correct) and someone has tried hard to get it in decent cosmetic shape. As noted you've got to get underneath to see what's doing there. No way of knowing how good or bad the repaint is in pictures and under the dust,. If it's dry underneath and drives well, it could be a fun cruiser as is or with some small and medium weekend projects to sharpen the details. Definitely not a "survivor" or extremely original example.

That's my 2 cents.

'79 T/A Solar Gold Metallic W72/WS6

'71 GT-37
The Following User Says Thank You to Hoodshaker For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2022, 09:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would bet anyone a 5 dollar bill this car has been restored. It does present very well. That being said you are already about $20k ahead of the game. I cant tell if the seats are proper repros or not, but it does look like it has new door panels (carpet on bottom does not look original). The carpet in the car looks like it may be original though which would indicate to me that the floors could have been in good shape when this car was rebuilt. Missing stickers on the core support etc. are all signs of a restoration, albeit not a very thorough one.

This car has the Olds 403 motor. I for one do not race and just want a nice looking car to cruise around in, this one fits the bill.

I think with some patience and a bit of attention to detail this car could sell in the high 20's, low 30's. I would stand by my $20k bid though. With an auction you are kind of in the dark as far as the important stuff -new brakes, fuel lines, internal condition of motor etc.

Old 05-24-2022, 12:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On-line bidding is at $14,000 with 8 days and 20 hours to go

Clay

Old 05-24-2022, 03:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On-Line bidding is up to $17,250 now. Will be interesting to watch. Thanks for everyone's input. I was thinking about bidding on it when I posted this and the bidding was at $2,500...we all dream of finding one like this and getting a great bargain! Looks like it's been found and the buyers are circling their prey LOL.

BJ

Old 05-25-2022, 07:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

For an online bid I would think its right about where it should be price wise. Curious to see where it settles in.

Old 05-25-2022, 11:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I would expect this car to go for 30-35 but not sure if it is well advertised

Old 05-26-2022, 06:08 AM
Suspended

And yet they can't even wash it for the sale. Deserves an equally lazy response.

Old 05-26-2022, 07:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Unless my eyes are/have been tricking me, it looks like they cleaned the car and resubmitted photos. As I suspected it looks like a fairly recent restoration. That alone is worth is $25k+! I would be pleasantly surprised if this hits the $30k mark especially being an auto.

Old 05-26-2022, 08:17 AM
Suspended

They have indeed. Perhaps the 'barn dust' wasn't pushing the price fast enough.

Old 05-26-2022, 01:42 PM

That is a pretty good looking TATA and would be kewl to cruise in and not worry about some idiot running into you unlike a 400 4sp TATA. I wouldnt be suprised if this went to 30k myself or more. The TATA still has the original red light 8 track player, that alone is work 1k by itself. Not to mention the correct chrome t-tops, that should make some lucky TA fan very happy

Last edited by ta6point6; 05-26-2022 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-26-2022, 09:39 PM
Suspended

I think I'd still worry about some idiot running into me regardless of engine. That was a dumb comment.

Old 05-27-2022, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor78 View Post
I think I'd still worry about some idiot running into me regardless of engine. That was a dumb comment.
I was talking about rarity and value of a Tenth Anniversary Trans Am with a 400 4 spd (1,817) compared to 403 auto (5,683). Of course no one wants to get run into whatever car they are driving...............wow just WOW

Old 05-31-2022, 02:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

$20,750 now, with less than two days remaining before the live auction begins. It does look better in the photos now, and there should be a good crowd at the live auction, so I would bet it goes for closer to $30K.

BJ

Old 05-31-2022, 03:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I didnt realize there was going to be a live auction. In that case I bet it does hit $30k.

Old 06-02-2022, 05:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sold for $45k!! As an owner of one of these I say 'yay', however I think thats a bit of a stiff price for an auto. Then again same auction someone paid almost $70k for an Indian m/c, I looked them up and found several of the same model for sale in the $30k price range. Gotta know what youre doing and be careful at an auction.