Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 05-09-2022, 08:08 PM
Senior Chief

Default autotrain

Need to move a car to FL, then fly back to NJ. Thinking of using the Autotrain on the way down. Looks like @ 19 hours or so to Sanford, sure beats driving at my age! Anyone here use the train? If so, anything to watch for? And what are the options for seating? Unsure of the costs. Thanks in advance for your input.............

Old 05-09-2022, 08:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Its been 33 years since I worked for Amtrak. Things have probably changed since then so I won't rely on my failing memory.

So here are the details.

Auto Train departs Lorton VA (near DC) to Sanford FL
It is a overnight train.

https://www.amtrak.com/auto-train-experience#vehicles

https://www.amtrak.com/route-content...uirements.html

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 05-09-2022, 08:30 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsie View Post
Need to move a car to FL, then fly back to NJ. Thinking of using the Autotrain on the way down. Looks like @ 19 hours or so to Sanford, sure beats driving at my age! Anyone here use the train? If so, anything to watch for? And what are the options for seating? Unsure of the costs. Thanks in advance for your input.............
I did it about 12 years ago with the family. I don’t fly anymore so I was going to drive than thought twice about that and took the auto train. I think it was a little expensive and took about 18 hours but I did get some sleep. My traverse was new then and not a scratch on it when it rolled off the train. My wife set it all up so I don’t any of the details. Good Luck, Marc.

Old 05-09-2022, 11:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We took a motorcycle trip, 4 of us round trip from Sanford to Lawton. They filmed every car meticulously and 360 degrees. We were on 4 HD's. They had carts that accommodated two bikes each. They let us load them the way we wanted and they helped everyway possible. They went way out of their way to make sure we satisfied as to how they were strapped down and secured. We were personally involved in every bit of the process. It was actually amazing. I don't trust anybody with any of my stuff, I won't even valet. Point is, it was the best service I had ever encountered and that's a bold statement. If the world ran like Amtrak did during that trip we would be in a better place. They were very organized and professional.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
The Following User Says Thank You to FrankieT/A For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2022, 06:40 AM

My in-laws just returned on it. You can get a room or sit in a seat for the trip. We just priced the down and back trip for next year, 3400 dollars for a room. That includes the minivan.

Old 05-10-2022, 07:20 AM

Correction 3100$

Old 05-10-2022, 07:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow, never knew Amtrack did that.
They need one from Sanford to Illinois.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 05-10-2022, 11:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_Train

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

The Following User Says Thank You to OG68 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2022, 01:34 PM
Senior Chief

Appears to be @ $90 per seat + @$200 for the vehicle

Old 05-10-2022, 01:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Considering the price of gas, thats not a bad price.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 05-10-2022, 05:44 PM
Senior Chief

Couple beers in the bar car, a few hours sleep, wake up in FL. Sure beats the slog on I-95

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jonsie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2022, 05:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up Great Value

I just read the Wiki link provided by another member.
That service is a great value if you are traveling down
to Florida along that route.

Jim

Old 06-05-2022, 06:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I talked with a very high ranked Amtrak marketing manager about why they don't offer a " snow bird" service from New England to Florida.
1st thing he said was bridges, then Tunnels, then track ownership.
Since the auto train can't pass through std train bridges and tunnels, it would have to go out and around many very old cities not built for anything like this.
Only some of the std freight track is welded, not all, and that limits Amtrak to freight speeds of 45mph.
While Amtrak does own some track in the North East corridor ( their biggest money maker) this track is mostly in congested areas.
Maybe a super light weight low profile new train cars would work, but they would need many more of them.
The market here would support it though, for " Snow birds"

Old 06-06-2022, 07:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I looked into it years ago and at that time it was cost prohibitive. I have driven both cars and motorcycles from N. MD to FLA so many times I could do it in my sleep (and probably have sometimes). The trip is not bad once one gets below Lorton VA!!!
SO, for me I still had to go through some of the worst part of the trip, no bonus there. I can drive there in the same or less time frame, So, Again no bonus. At the time the cost to drive was much, much cheaper, no bonus. Prob not now with gas the way it is. So, I have never done so.
However, my sister n law and her husband take it there about once a year and love it.

Frankie t/a-Curious, how is it a 'motorcycle trip' if the bikes were on a crate in a train?

Old 06-06-2022, 02:06 PM
Senior Chief

Wife did the trip last month, got the std. seating, was very roomy. Trip went smooth, she got the priority loading/unloading, car was the 10th off the train. Can bring on a cooler w/sandwiches and beer/soda. We'll both make the trip again on July 3., our last day in NJ. Will have our last reg. car on board, shipping both Pontiacs separately on enclosed trailer. To begin next chapter of life in FL

Old 06-06-2022, 03:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Where in Florida are you going?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 06-06-2022, 06:39 PM
Senior Chief

Renting in Punta Gorda for a year. Going to travel over to FL East Coast, then up coast to GA Sea Isles and Myrtle area in SC. It's nice to finally have time to explore for a permanent landing place

The Following User Says Thank You to Jonsie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2022, 05:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just checked the price round trip, Lorton, Va. to Sanford, Fl. For my wife and I and her VW Beetle convertible. Staying lower level in coach. Price $844.