THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2022, 04:34 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefkey View Post
Check was cashed a week a go. .waiting for PM. Hope there's not a problem
JK
We are awaiting a new shipment of late model castings from the foundry scheduled for the 2nd week of July. Shipments for the late model intakes will resume shortly after we receive the next batch of castings.

1969 GTO 467, Edelbrock 325 CFM, Terminator EFI
1969 Firebird Convertible
Old 06-18-2022, 04:49 PM

Just received mine via UPS. Awesome job guys. The icing on the cake for my SD. Very well packed too. Thank you guys
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220618_150955.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	592977  

Old 06-18-2022, 05:16 PM

Fear not fellow Pontiac people.

The gentlemen handling this project are doing it for YOU, for the love of the hobby and are likely just recovering enough in funds to cover their expenses.

A huge thanks to Tom and John.

This project is truly a dream come true.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2022, 05:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the update. Saw my check cleared, glad it made it there my postal person is not always great .

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 06-18-2022, 08:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Same here glad my payment made it, Skip. I worry about the USPS at times. My mother always said 'patience is a virtue ', the intake will be here sooner that later. I tease friends I'm getting a new bathtub shipped from California! They just look.

Old 06-19-2022, 09:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The past 2 years a number of my bills do not make it here or out when I pay them USPS. Our regular mail person is great but when she is off they have tossed the mail on the sidewalk by the back door of the office!

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 06-20-2022, 12:09 AM

I was also glad to see my check made it. Not much faith in the USPS although my regular mailman is awesome. I recently debuted my ‘56 Chieftain at a car show and he recognized seeing it outside of my garage and introduced himself as a deliverer of parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BF70E861-65C8-4B3F-9888-362594EC4FC7.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	593035  

1963 Lemans -428 +.030, SD Perf KRE heads, turbo 350, 9" Ford 3:90, 11.01@121

1956 Chieftain gasser, 461 stroked 400, SD Perf ported E-heads, turbo 400, Dana 3:70 10.40@125
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom63LeMans For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2022, 11:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom63LeMans View Post
I was also glad to see my check made it. Not much faith in the USPS although my regular mailman is awesome. I recently debuted my ‘56 Chieftain at a car show and he recognized seeing it outside of my garage and introduced himself as a deliverer of parts.
Nice looking ‘56! Are there any other pics posted anywhere? If not, post some up, I’d like to see more.

Old 06-20-2022, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterp266 View Post
Nice looking ‘56! Are there any other pics posted anywhere? If not, post some up, I’d like to see more.
Thanks, I did put this post in the 60 & earlier tech section. Let me know if you want to see any other pictures

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=857939

1956 Chieftain gasser, 461 stroked 400, SD Perf ported E-heads, turbo 400, Dana 3:70 10.40@125
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom63LeMans For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2022, 07:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueghoast View Post
Mine is suppose to be here today by 7 PM, Can't hardly wait.

GT
I did recieve mine at five pm fri we left right after that to go racing.
Thats why it took so long to post. Man that thing is beautiful you guy's
did a great job. Thank You very much. Can't wait for the other intake
to get here. I believe I'm going to put that late one on my 62 Tempest.

GT

Old 06-20-2022, 07:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes I just took closer look at your 56. Very Nice. I had a 55 blue and blue,1960 389,65 GTO heads,068 cam,4spd built hydro,4.30 gears. That hydro would almost knock the windows out when shifted at full throttle. I had no idea what I was building back in 68. Local John Labuda has a 56 gasser he takes around,he usually at Norwslk.

The Following User Says Thank You to sdbob For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2022, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbob View Post
Yes I just took closer look at your 56. Very Nice. I had a 55 blue and blue,1960 389,65 GTO heads,068 cam,4spd built hydro,4.30 gears. That hydro would almost knock the windows out when shifted at full throttle. I had no idea what I was building back in 68. Local John Labuda has a 56 gasser he takes around,he usually at Norwslk.
That ‘55 sounds awesome. I’m friends with John and his car helped inspire my build. I would drive my Lemans to Norwalk and John and Arnie let me pit with them starting in 2018. Hopefully I get to line up with him this year. They are great guys.

Old 06-21-2022, 12:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes. Nice men. Also I'm into Cub Cadet tractors,John and his wife are dealers for Cub Cadets and computers with knowing parts and how to fix.

The Following User Says Thank You to sdbob For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2022, 01:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd just like to say these intakes are beautiful!

But I do have a question? I'm not much of a carb tuner, so hope this isn't a stupid question. Do you need to set up the rear carb different from the front carb because it sits higher on the intake? Or do you get a enough crossover or fuel mixing from the two carbs in the plenum area that is doesn't matter? Thanks

Old 06-21-2022, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you set them up progressive you will run off the front of the rear carb and you wont ever know your driving a 2-4 setup.Will drive like a 2bbl.Tom

Old 06-21-2022, 02:23 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pggto View Post
I'd just like to say these intakes are beautiful!

But I do have a question? I'm not much of a carb tuner, so hope this isn't a stupid question. Do you need to set up the rear carb different from the front carb because it sits higher on the intake? Or do you get a enough crossover or fuel mixing from the two carbs in the plenum area that is doesn't matter? Thanks
If you look at the Plenum (with the top) removed you will see you have a LARGE VOLUME, much larger than the Doug Nash Dual Quad Intake or the OFFY dual quad manifolds. The fuel/air mixture travels downward.

It is un like later EFI intakes, that have a single throttle body on the front of the intake that can cause air distribution issues with those intakes.

At one time Joe Zajac, Larry Kauffman, and I added short stub stacks under the carb gasket to see if the carbs needed more signal strength. IT MADE NO DIFFERENCE in the performance of the intake on the quarter mile runs so the STUB STACKS were not used. This was using the 3rd Generation Randy Williams "V" intakes.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-30-2022, 04:07 AM
Suspended

Mike has a question:

On the original Factory bathtub Intake there was a "V" in the lower plenum with two offset raised ledges at the rear of the front carb. and one to the front of the rear carb. down on the valley floor that I presume would not allow the fuel from one carbs. cylinders to get into the other. What is to keep the fuel from going forward on deceleration and backward on acceleration without them? This ledge was necessary and tried and tested by Engineers and won races, yes? If I am correct a fix, if needed, is to add the ledge back in to this design, if it becomes necessary. You won't know until someone gets there's running and test and tuned. Secondly, since the "W" in the current Plenum divides the driver's side half cylinders 1,3,5,7 from 2,4,6,8the left side primaries and secondaries feed the left side only and the same on the right side. This I am very curious to see how well this works. This too is not what the Pontiac Pros designed into the original Bathtub Intake. I fear that you had the chance to duplicate the original to the letter. Why change a winning tested and proven design to begin with? What you have is an untested, unproven very expensive trial and error product that may not work as intended. Then again you could get lucky because you are an engineer as well, but I believe in those Pontiac Gurus that manufactured the original design because it is tried and we know it works. I saw this way back earlier in this post and I came up with a possible solution and I still stand by my theory, after all as long as your changing things why not experiment with it. I am waiting to hear from the new owners on how well the changed design works. Good luck.

Last edited by TRADERMIKE 2012; 06-30-2022 at 05:05 AM.
Old 06-30-2022, 08:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRADERMIKE 2012 View Post
Mike has a question:

On the original Factory bathtub Intake there was a "V" in the lower plenum with two offset raised ledges at the rear of the front carb. and one to the front of the rear carb. down on the valley floor that I presume would not allow the fuel from one carbs. cylinders to get into the other. What is to keep the fuel from going forward on deceleration and backward on acceleration without them? This ledge was necessary and tried and tested by Engineers and won races, yes? If I am correct a fix, if needed, is to add the ledge back in to this design, if it becomes necessary. You won't know until someone gets there's running and test and tuned. Secondly, since the "W" in the current Plenum divides the driver's side half cylinders 1,3,5,7 from 2,4,6,8the left side primaries and secondaries feed the left side only and the same on the right side. This I am very curious to see how well this works. This too is not what the Pontiac Pros designed into the original Bathtub Intake. I fear that you had the chance to duplicate the original to the letter. Why change a winning tested and proven design to begin with? What you have is an untested, unproven very expensive trial and error product that may not work as intended. Then again you could get lucky because you are an engineer as well, but I believe in those Pontiac Gurus that manufactured the original design because it is tried and we know it works. I saw this way back earlier in this post and I came up with a possible solution and I still stand by my theory, after all as long as your changing things why not experiment with it. I am waiting to hear from the new owners on how well the changed design works. Good luck.
Don't buy it if you don't like it. Show us 1 tunnel ram that is designed like you describe that was designed in last 20yrs. Things change, people learn. It isn't 1960 any more. A mild grocery getter build makes as much or more power than those engines did back then.

Old 06-30-2022, 09:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRADERMIKE 2012 View Post
Mike has a question:

This intake is an improvement over the original PMD design. The original was built the way it was because there was an additional plenum above the main plenum, created by the aluminum plate that was laid on top of the base before the top was installed . Gaskets were installed below and on top of that plate. The flat between the carbs that you mention allowed fuel to puddle as the car idled, and when the car was launched that fuel was thrown into the rear carbs primary throttle bores and caused a bog. Racers dealt with this in various ways but primarily by welding a dam at the rear edge of the flat area just in front of the rear carb. The design of the upper plenum, between the aluminum plate and the roof of the top, for the two barrel idling carb which Pontiac never used, trapped fuel laden air when the engine was running, which settled out after the engine was shut down and cooled down and over time accumulated into a black combustible sludge unless the top was removed periodically and the goop cleaned out. This could be overcome by drilling breathing holes in the top between the two carbs but lots of folks never figured this out. The original bathtub was a wondrous thing but was not perfect, and had PMD improved it over time and upped the casting and part numbers as they did with other things, it would likely have evolved into what we have here with the Cogger/Schlauch repop.

Old 06-30-2022, 10:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike,please do your self a favor and search the internet to see what fuel in a running engine looks like!I believe John Kasse(spelling) had a intake with a clear top.When the engine is running at RPMs it is just a cloud of atomized fuel and air.You dont see any fuel.Engine at idle is where puddling can acure.I have owned just about every Bathtub since 1963,raced the factory ones and had to build the dam as John said.The Johnson Zajac was a big improvement over the factory.Rand Williams made many diff plenums,I actually test 3 of them for him with a 461 E headed engine and there was about 5 HP diff between the 3.His latest and one I did not get to test is the W plenum which I used to reproduce.I have a Johnson on my 63 434 Tempest and the Williams W plenum on my 62 434 GP.Both have factory 750 421 SD NASCAR AFBs.The Tempest has way more cam and better heads than the 62 so they drive diff.Both are running progressive off the front 2 bbl of the rear carb.They both drive better on the street than the BEST running tripower you will ever drive,more like driving a 428 2 bbl engine.No lugging,nothing but good smooth throttle.I drive the 62 every Saturday to a show and am amazed how well it drives.My 62 has 2.68 rear gears,I can shift from 3rd to 4th and end up at 1200 RPMs driving down a city street and it just pulls with no bog or hesitation.The factory intake was done back in 1962,they did well but no comparison to the W design.Break out some dollars and get one and try it for yourself.Tom

The Following User Says Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread