Old 02-26-2022, 08:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default SD Bob pics

Here are some pics sent by SD Bob.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
The Following User Says Thank You to johnta1 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2022, 08:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My favorite is the Loose Papoose being towed by the Grand Prix!

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
The Following User Says Thank You to Elarson For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2022, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Excellent, thanks for posting.

Old 02-26-2022, 12:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Myself, I'd like to hear more about the late model stock car sponsored by Cochran Pontiac. Being from PA I know that Cochran as a huge dealer in the Pittsburg area, but wasn't aware they sponsored any dirt cars.

I can make out Allison on the roof, possibly Bobby Allison, or his brother Donnie? Bobby made quite a few appearances at local dirt tracks when his NASCAR schedule allowed it. I know He once appeared at the same dirt track I raced at, in Erie PA. in the mid 70s.

The real question is the car appears to be a 67-69 Firebird, what engine was in it? Not really enough showing that I could tell what powerplant it had in it. Also see the HO racing decal on the front fender indicating it may be Pontiac Stratostreak powered. Lots of late model stock cars would swap GM powerplants back and forth back in the day. Unless you strolled down to the pits after the races, you never knew what some late model cars had under the hood.

Our local track had a late model driver that ran Buick engines in his cars, for probably a decade. Some ran Pontiacs, and even an olds powered cutlass late model car.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 02-26-2022, 12:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That Trans Am is awesome!

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 02-27-2022, 12:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In the other thread I said it was a RAV. The RAV 469" Jim Miller built was in the 69 GTO of Don Gamble. Picture of car is in old HO racing newsletter. Finally talked to Jim today. The car shown was driven by Donnie Allison,6'7",no relation.he is leaning against fender. The engine was a 4 bolt 389,.150" over .it did have the special moldex crank.Jim cannot remember the heads used. It did have to have a cast iron intake and 3" mains. That pic is a story.The story goes,The Pontiac was whooping up on the Chebies. Jim said they had 454s. So it was embarrassing to be beaten by a Pontiac. The chebie guys put up $1500.00 to tear the engine down. Ckg for main bearing size,figuring 455.. Jim said one guy had a 455 bearing shell in his hand,hiding it. Jim said save your money. Nope ,Jim pulled the pan and gave them #2 main.! Rest is history.

Old 02-27-2022, 12:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The 61 was an automatic car owned by Phil. The GP was an auto,428 HO. At one time the 61 car had a 363 hp SD in it.i saw the heads. Also when I was at Kent State I brought aluminum bumpers back for that car.If you notice the 61 in 2nd pic has a hood scoop. The 303 with tunnel ram was in it.The trans was a Chrysler 4spd. I never saw the car run.Phil said above 8 g he could not get 3rd gear. Phil one time it went to 9g. Then he found the 70 F .The 303 was put in that car.Again I never saw it run. I didnt ask Jim if the block was a short deck or not. Jim did get parts from Tom Nell and Jeff Young at the road race where the Herb Adam's Firebird won, in Ohio. Jim said he could call Jeff Young for info.

The Following User Says Thank You to sdbob For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2022, 12:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The 74 SD 455 in pic was Phil's new car. Mine is the same from same dealer Constantine Pontiac where Jim worked. I think Phil got his in February I got mine in March. He needed to sell car for $ when he was sick. When he sold it the SD block ,(he traded his original block) got the block that had the oil pump on the back of the block. I guess factory block.

Old 02-27-2022, 01:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbob View Post
In the other thread I said it was a RAV. The RAV 469" Jim Miller built was in the 69 GTO of Don Gamble. Picture of car is in old HO racing newsletter. Finally talked to Jim today. The car shown was driven by Donnie Allison,6'7",no relation.he is leaning against fender. The engine was a 4 bolt 389,.150" over .it did have the special moldex crank.Jim cannot remember the heads used. It did have to have a cast iron intake and 3" mains. That pic is a story.The story goes,The Pontiac was whooping up on the Chebies. Jim said they had 454s. So it was embarrassing to be beaten by a Pontiac. The chebie guys put up $1500.00 to tear the engine down. Ckg for main bearing size,figuring 455.. Jim said one guy had a 455 bearing shell in his hand,hiding it. Jim said save your money. Nope ,Jim pulled the pan and gave them #2 main.! Rest is history.
Thanks for the history, always like hearing about Pontiac dirt cars.

Any chance that picture was taken was at Heidelberg, Lernerville, or PMS?

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 02-27-2022 at 01:41 AM.
Old 02-27-2022, 07:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jennerstown. When it was dirt I believe Jim told me. I did see in person the 69 GTO run at the old Latrobe Speedway,( Schumuckers). Don Gamble driving ,he had the pole,came off turn 2,he was at turn 3 and the rest of mostly chebies were about half way down the straight. It was something to see. Technology!! Jim Miller knew how to set the car up and knew how to control the oil in the pan. He was a good welder learnt from his father he told me. He said those cars took alot of his family time.

Old 02-27-2022, 12:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I talk to Jim again I'll get more info. Body, 303 build specs etc. Its funny those times then were just times now they seem very exciting. I remember helping Phil deliver the 61 without engine but with aluminum bumpers to new owner.pushing it in a garage. Now where is it?

Old 02-27-2022, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The single 4bbl was a Nash before the tunnel ram was finished. I'm not sure but Jim maybe had a pipeline to get special parts back then. He did say he doesnt remember how he got talking to the Pontiac engineers. I found Fred Davisson,then put Jim in touch with him.

Old 02-27-2022, 09:22 PM

Talking

Thanks for sharing vintage pics! ELarson beat me to it that the best pic is the ‘61 being flat towed by the ‘69 Grand Prix! If there’s more pics and stories, please keep them coming!

68 Mustang FB-Green/Black (Bullitt)