Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 06-04-2022, 02:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Frigidaire Freezer Not Running

I believe this Upright Freezer Model LFFU1465DW6 is about 15 years old. Came with the house 3 years ago. We were not using it so I turned it off. Remained plugged in. Went to turn it on by the Temp dial inside the unit and the Compressor doesn't kick on, no noises, no nothing. The light comes on with the door open.

New compressor (Embraco EMY60HER) would be way too expensive. But after looking at solutions on line I'm wondering if it could be the Start Relay,

Is it possible to do a simple test to determine if the Compressor still works?

I've pulled the Relay off the compressor. Label says Embraco Combo. Another label shows 2 numbers, 513609000 and 241667501.

Best I can tell, the latter no. was the old p/n but apparently superseded. Replacement is about $75 and some reviews make it sound like it is not a direct fit.

Even at that price, too expensive if freezer is still dead. I searched eBay for a used relay, found one that sold a month ago.

So basically I'm trying to fix it on the cheap and hoping I can diagnose the problem for free.

Anybody here know what I can do to prove the faulty component?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2268.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	592155   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2269.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	592156   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2270.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	592157  

Old 06-04-2022, 10:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have you tried to unplug it like a reboot? have had to do that with mine once awhile.

TOM
Old 06-05-2022, 11:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, even tried "sparking" it to life by repeatedly and quickly reinserting the plug into the outlet.

Also tried tapping on the relay and compressor to see if that would get it to start.

Old 06-05-2022, 09:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hello John V. Some of the older model Frigidaire uprights had a reset mounted vertically on the bottom side of the cabinet just to the left and above the compressor. I have seen them trip from being transported roughly. Also, you can remove the pan the stat is mounted to and jump across the two wire spades to confirm the stat is not the culprit.

"Bill"!

Old 06-05-2022, 10:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bill, I will try to jump the t-stat.

The reset feature looks to only be associated with electronic models. Mine is a very simple, no electronics model.

I will pull it back out to see if I see any reset switch but I don't think so. I'll reinstall the relay and see if it fires up with the t-stat jumped. Worth a shot.

I pulled out the owner's manual, prior owner was good about keeping all books and marking the date of purchase.

Freezer was purchased Feb 2006 so I guessed right about the age. The manual was about worthless for troubleshooting. Doesn't run? Make sure it is plugged in and outlet is powered! Still doesn't run, call for authorized service, haha!

Still trying to figure out if the relay can be bypassed so I can see if the compressor will run.