Old 09-20-2005, 04:41 PM

Question Replacement Turn Switch Problem

Hi there, I replaced the turn switch in my 69 Grand Prix but forgot to check the dash harness connector *before* I snaked it through my tilt column. Turns out that the plastic connector is about 1/2" longer than the previous switch connector. There is a metal harness holder welded to the side of the column which will not hold the new connector in place...

Both harness connectors have the same "D-8-67" stamped in them and I have double checked the part number for my application (tilt column, w/ cornering lights PY part GM310). The car originally had cruise control, could this be part of the problem?

I don't have a replacement dash harness yet, but should I consider switching the plastic harness connectors, one wire at a time?

And if so, does anyone have a trick/tool for getting the wires out of the harness?

TIA,
Liam
69 J

Old 09-20-2005, 04:53 PM
Suspended

buy the adapter wiring to mate up to the half moon connector or just switch wires.

Old 09-20-2005, 05:01 PM

thanks for your prompt reponse, do you know how to get the wires out of the old harness connector? thanks.

Old 09-20-2005, 07:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The tool you will need, are called picks, they are designed to release the locking tangs so you can remove the terminal from connector. Try a good auto parts place such as Napa for them, or talk to a Auto Tech you know to see where to get them. If you can not find them grind a small blade flat screw driver down, one you carry in your shirt pocket with the clip. These are handy tools to have in your tool box. You will want to practise removing terminals , from a old harness so you do not damage your new turn signal switch harness.

Old 09-20-2005, 10:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Depending on the type of terminal, the end of a paper clip works sometimes.

George