Old 05-07-2016, 03:03 PM

Default Classic car insurance policy

just renewed my Grundy policy on my 70 gto (real gto, not a judge). Seems like it was $285.00 for 35k agreed value. Wondering what others have their car insured for? Do you have a salvage option (you keep the car)? I don't have that option on mine, but being it was in a movie, seems it would be quite beneficial even if the cost goes up.

I've had the policy for over a decade and never once thought about trying to increase the agreed upon value or seek salvage options.

With my current set-up, really not sure it could be adequately replaced in the event something did happen.

Curious what others have done.

Thanks!

Last edited by Chastings; 05-07-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-07-2016, 04:22 PM
Senior Chief

I have American Collectors Insurance. I have $50,000 on my 70 GTO vert, $40,000 on my 65 GTO hardtop and $8000 on a 87 Corvette convertible. All three are on a 5000 mile mileage tier and I probably won't come close to that on all three vehicles combined. Policy costs $776.55/year. I had Hagerty for a several years before - it was a little more for about the same levels.

Old 05-07-2016, 08:59 PM
Senior Chief

68,000$ value about 500$ premium per year usual limitations ….canadian policy in the montreal qc area

Old 05-15-2016, 05:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
I have American Collectors Insurance. I have $50,000 on my 70 GTO vert, $40,000 on my 65 GTO hardtop and $8000 on a 87 Corvette convertible. All three are on a 5000 mile mileage tier and I probably won't come close to that on all three vehicles combined. Policy costs $776.55/year. I had Hagerty for a several years before - it was a little more for about the same levels.
Does American Collectors just have a mileage limit? In other words, can you drive your car to work, grocery store, etc, as long as you don't blow the 5,000 mile limit?

I have Grundy for my cars; it's not mileage limited, but you can only drive for pleasure, not to work, not for errands, etc.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:18 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletpruf View Post
Does American Collectors just have a mileage limit? In other words, can you drive your car to work, grocery store, etc, as long as you don't blow the 5,000 mile limit?

I have Grundy for my cars; it's not mileage limited, but you can only drive for pleasure, not to work, not for errands, etc.
I can find nothing in my policy that indicates at the 5000 mile tier I can drive my vehicles for general use. I did find this quote:

The mileage tier above is the maximum amount of miles that the collector vehicle may be driven based on the mileage you have indicated. Other mileage options are available. Please also note that the 7,500 miles per year Tier is our "Freedom" tier option which not on;y allows up to 7,500 miles per year but also allows for occasional general use."

I may look into the cost of the 7,500 tier for the Vette because that is a vehicle that I could use for some general use during the summer. The GTO's I wouldn't park and leave anywhere in a general use situation.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
I can find nothing in my policy that indicates at the 5000 mile tier I can drive my vehicles for general use. I did find this quote:

The mileage tier above is the maximum amount of miles that the collector vehicle may be driven based on the mileage you have indicated. Other mileage options are available. Please also note that the 7,500 miles per year Tier is our "Freedom" tier option which not on;y allows up to 7,500 miles per year but also allows for occasional general use."

I may look into the cost of the 7,500 tier for the Vette because that is a vehicle that I could use for some general use during the summer. The GTO's I wouldn't park and leave anywhere in a general use situation.
Thanks for the details. This sounds like what I am looking for.

Scott

Old 05-15-2016, 09:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That's what I'm looking for as well. Do they care if anyone else in the family uses them too?

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 05-15-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
That's what I'm looking for as well. Do they care if anyone else in the family uses them too?
I would think they would care - especially if the drivers are under 21.

I have St. Farm for all 6 vehicles I'm supporting, with a multi-car/multi policy discount. My agent told me (verbally) my policies are set as to where each vehicle has a primary user, but with the knowledge that at times, any family member may need to, and are allowed to use any 1 of the 6 vehicles.

The rates are priced as to which person is the primary driver for the car, with their age and gender factored in.

Old 05-15-2016, 12:49 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
Not sure. My wife and I are both listed as drivers on my current policy.

Old 05-15-2016, 01:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJD1964 View Post
I would think they would care - especially if the drivers are under 21.

I have St. Farm for all 6 vehicles I'm supporting, with a multi-car/multi policy discount. My agent told me (verbally) my policies are set as to where each vehicle has a primary user, but with the knowledge that at times, any family member may need to, and are allowed to use any 1 of the 6 vehicles.

The rates are priced as to which person is the primary driver for the car, with their age and gender factored in.
Does your State Farm policy include classic cars?

Thanks

Scott

Old 05-15-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletpruf View Post
Does your State Farm policy include classic cars?

Thanks

Scott
Yes -with an agreed value on a classic/vintage car.

Each car has it's own separate "policy" per se'.

Old 05-15-2016, 05:28 PM
Senior Chief

IRC on my American Collectors Policy all drivers are covered with the caveat being they've had a drivers license for a minimum of ten years.
6 0r 7 years ago I had a deer run into my car. American never question why I was driving the car early in the morning. Although I had a legit reason, I was taking it to a body shop for a repaint and body work estimate.
I always wondered how can they determine the reason you were driving the car.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:04 AM
Suspended

My ins. says I can sometimes take my car to work , but being as I'm retired I don't work so it doesn't apply any more but I could on mine if I was working. But I still have to have another car thats my main driver. I have a limit of 3500 miles , but I'll not get close to that in 5 years. The last 3 I have only put amount 4 hundred miles on the car. This year I might live it up & put about 500-600 miles if I go where I want to this year. LOL. But I can drive it to & from the store or where ever as long as I don't go over the miles.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexs73gto View Post
My ins. says I can sometimes take my car to work , but being as I'm retired I don't work so it doesn't apply any more but I could on mine if I was working. But I still have to have another car thats my main driver. I have a limit of 3500 miles , but I'll not get close to that in 5 years. The last 3 I have only put amount 4 hundred miles on the car. This year I might live it up & put about 500-600 miles if I go where I want to this year. LOL. But I can drive it to & from the store or where ever as long as I don't go over the miles.
Who is your insurance company?

Thanks

Scott

Old 05-17-2016, 01:49 PM

Mileage limitation? In all honesty, I don't even think the odometer in mine spins anymore!

Old 05-17-2016, 11:34 PM
Suspended

I would have to get it out of the car but it seems to me it is Classic american car Ins. The agency is MK INS. they are near Chicago & there phone number is 1-866-695-2774. Ask for Jackie. The agency owner is Tamaro Petro. She was given to me from another member here to. Very good rates.

Old 05-18-2016, 07:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have Condon & Skelly on both my cars with an agreed value of $115k and pay $450 a year. Our 22 year old Son and wife is on the policy as drivers too. 7500 mile year limit

1969 GTO Judge Warwick blue/blue, RAIII, 4 speed, tach/gauges, Safe T track, 3.55's, ps and radio.

1971 Torino 351c 4v GT convertible. White on white with black interior
4 speed, shaker, am/fm, ps/pdb, buckets/console, ac.
One of 26 made