WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:33 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Safety Issue: Tires rubbing on Struts

News article about tires rubbing up on struts on '04 -'06 GTOs.

http://www.newsnet5.com/video/13344209/index.html
Old 05-21-2007, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey, I know those guys...! Anything to get on camera, JK, wonder what Pontiac will end up doing.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto4door
News article about tires rubbing up on struts on '04 -'06 GTOs.

http://www.newsnet5.com/video/13344209/index.html
Unbelievable. That's what happens when a car is thrown together in 17 months. I feel bad for the guys that shelled out good dough only have something unexcusable as that happen. GM ought to be ashamed of themselves.

Last edited by red70goat; 05-21-2007 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dude, please come up with something original for the love of god!!!
Old 05-22-2007, 06:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBLER
Dude, please come up with something original for the love of god!!!
Now that's some advice Beavis and Lutzhead could have used in 04!
Old 05-22-2007, 09:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hey Red, are you a closet New GTO owner? The reason I ask is, I never see a post from you in ANY other forum. If you DO, own a NEW GTO, it's quite okay. I have two and love them both, regardless what you, or anyone else says about them. I also own and love three old Pontiacs so I post in quite a few different forums. I can understand if you don't accept the new GTO, but why exist on a board solely to bash a new model? It's 2007 now and you are still posting the same crap from four years ago. I've owned my '04 for almost three years now, and my '05 for almost two. You can do as you please but, I gotta tell you, the cars don't deserve the constant ridicule. They are GREAT cars. I have a '72 GTO, a '71 Lemans Sport, and a '72 Grand Prix, all licensed, insured roadworthy, and they are great cars as well.

But the hardest part to understand is, for a car you supposedly hate, why so much hate contribution? There are many cars out there I find uninteresting, but I don't interject my opinion amongst those who find them interesting. It's pointless. Any member here could accurately recite your ramblings without ever re-reading your posts. Your posts are somewhat true, but what's the point? Most who surf this forum are owners so do you really think they care? But even still, I personally welcome your comments so don't think I'm upset by them. I LOVE my new GTOs. No problems at all, with either of them.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pont3
They are GREAT cars. .
I don't hate the car.

Too may self proclaimed experts on this forum who have never had a GTO, Firebird,etc new or old. Easy targets and way too much fun to ignore.

Somebody has to tell GM what a bunch of a-holes they are for trying to screw the public on the coat tails of a legendary name.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:13 AM
Senior Chief

There are already a couple of threads in this forum about the strut rub issue.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=510026
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=510632
....many more on LS1GTO.com too.

As I mentioned in one of those threads this is a serious safety concern because many owners do not inspect their own cars, nor would they know what to look for. Yes, strut rub can be mitigated with an alignment, but as many are now finding the root cause is not necessarily 245 tires on a car designed for 235s. Many cars are being found with compressed and/or torn strut tower bushings, believed to be the result of shipping from Australia. These cars were put on a boat for 3 months, strapped down tightly with spacers wedged into the coil springs to keep them from bouncing around...basically far too much pressure exerted on the suspension over an extended period of time. Collapsed bushings = sloppy suspension = strut rub.

Personally I have not had any more rub since I had my dealership do an alignment, but I will be checking all of my bushings the next time I get the chance. And if they're bad GM will be replacing them under warranty and doing another alignment.

Oh, and I still love the Hell out of this car. It's absolutely badass. GM just needs to do the right thing and keep their customers safe and happy.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

[QUOTE=red70goat]Too may self proclaimed experts on this forum who have never had a GTO, Firebird,etc new or old. Easy targets and way too much fun to ignore/QUOTE]

Who would that be? Easy targets for what, simple name calling that you dish out? I'd give you at least 1 point if you actually kept it clean and uninsulting when one tries to cover a topic in each of these threads...

Ditto on GM needing to do the right thing, actually it may be too late for that at this point!
Old 05-24-2007, 08:36 PM

Strut rub beat to death, next...
Old 05-25-2007, 07:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

[QUOTE=HUMBLER]
Quote:
Originally Posted by red70goat
Too may self proclaimed experts on this forum who have never had a GTO, Firebird,etc new or old. Easy targets and way too much fun to ignore/QUOTE]

Who would that be?
Ok, I'll keep it to one : Mr_Gee_I_Don't_Know. He insults everybody except GM, even those that own the car. I think he's just frustrated still living with the folks or something. Most of my criticism for the most part is aimed at GM.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87LC2
Strut rub beat to death, next...
I love it how you Lutz Moonies can ignore such blatant and careless flaws as if they were insigficant.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

[QUOTE=red70goat]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBLER

Ok, I'll keep it to one : Mr_Gee_I_Don't_Know. He insults everybody except GM, even those that own the car. I think he's just frustrated still living with the folks or something. Most of my criticism for the most part is aimed at GM.

I'll stop insulting you when you post something of usefullness. Do you even own a GTO? If so post a picture of it...I asked you years ago and you still haven't produced one.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Pontiac issues fix to dealers of remaing 06s to be sold, now what about the rest of the cars!
Old 06-01-2007, 06:57 AM

There is a limited number of cars that have this issue, when found they will be fixed under warranty. This problem is old news and is cured easily. The government is slow to react, as usual, many of the cars have already been fixed. It's just starting to show up on their bureaucratic radar and thus making the news. GM is cheap, you have to bug them to get off their wallet, plain and simple.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_GTO

I'll stop insulting you.... .
Your posts have never been insulting to me, just humorous.