Old 01-03-2011, 12:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default what's your winter project?

i have alot of things i want to do to the car i bought this past spring. a previous owner wasn't nearly as obsessive at making things "right" as i am. to each his own. unfortunately this fall didn't go as planned, so it might not be untill spring that i'll actually get started on it.

anyway, what are you guys up to? making some changes/upgrades, finishing touches, things to be done mid build, just getting started.

kieth, you always have something going on. any udates on the 71?

mrrat, how's the SSJ comming?

who else has something in the works?

Old 01-03-2011, 11:11 AM

Mine is sitting. I need to pull theengine and fix the rattle in it but that'll probably wait til spring as I have other irons in the fire and just took on an endevor that I have no prior experience in.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 01-03-2011, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Tinkering on this '70...

Have lots of little things to get done before springtime. Pulled the radio, dash speaker and clock out today to get rebuilt-repaired. Will remove rear speaker tomorrow and get them over to my speaker guy. Also need to figure out why the a/c compressor, blower motor and TCS solenoid aren't working. Last will be the engine compartment... a good steam cleaning, flush cooling system, new t-stat, re-core radiator, valve cover gaskets and possibly a new timing chain set if the original nylon cam gear is still in place. Should keep me out of trouble for a few months!

Grant

Old 01-03-2011, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Mike, what's the new endeavor?

Grant

Old 01-03-2011, 09:55 PM
Senior Chief

Hydroboost setup, rear disc, SD's KRE's, new Tri-Y's, Cliffs carb, some wiring odds and ends.

'68 hard blocked forged 463 (thanks Luhn Performance), SD prepped HO aluminum intake, SD Perf 290cfm KRE'S,'Ol Faithful cam, 2004r with a "Jim Hand special" converter to a 3.42 Trutrac 12 bolt hung from a 4 link. With a 120 shot of N2O for fun.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:35 PM

Attempting to shoehorn the IAII in the lil bird...got the front clip off...400/400 out....cleaning and painting..might as well rebuild the front susp,,,,hmm...add new heater core and blower,,,hmm...bigger swaybar.....its never gonna end,,,,lol

Old 01-03-2011, 11:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been collecting parts for a few years and it's time to get started on the 86 GP Winston Cup clone to be street driven that I have in my signature, before I'm too damn old to do it.......

I have bought a older used asphalt late model chassis that was sitting in some guys backyard. I need to build truck trailing arms for the rear suspension and find a floater 9 inch rear axle to put under it. The whole front suspension and steering is missing so I need to hang some A arms, spindles and steering linkage and get the geometry all worked out.

I have a 455 engine I built over 20 years ago that has done more sitting than running. I need to take it down and check it over and then mount it in the chassis. The car will have a 4L80E transmission so I need to find one to install and get a stand alone controller for it also.

I have an good straight 86 GP body I need to get mounted on the chassis and start putting an aluminum sheet metal interior in it. I intend to paint it reminiscent of my 69 GP dirt car I raced for 3 years in the late 70s at my home track outside of Erie PA, 1977-1979, (pictured below) I'd like to have it done before Norwalk, we shall see........

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 01-03-2011, 11:29 PM

Cool Winter Project -HP for the GP

tearing down the 455 with a dark past (pulled from Dodge Power Wagon by PO) to evaluate a mild rebuild using the original crank (if it is good), or maybe a stroker kit if it isn't usable.
The pistons are +.030 so someone has already been in there once.

No heat in the garage, so when it is warm enough I venture out there on the weekend.

At this point in time, PB Blaster is soaking into those stubborb Timing Cover bolts.
If I can't break it loose with the Impact Hammer by this weekend, massive amounts of heat will be applied to the block where those bolts are blind holed.

Dave

Old 01-04-2011, 12:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

now there's a good diversity of things to do.

i can relate to the no heat thing. that and an over stuffed garage are the biggest hold backs for me.

most of the things i want to do seem to overlap somewhat. so, i'm going to have to pic one and just have at it.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This is the first year I've had heat in mine, I just completed installing a Vogelzang wood stove kit on a 55 gallon drum heater which is low in cost, the major expense was the stainless steel chimney stack along with the through the roof parts. The drum kit was about $60 and the chimney parts were around $350. I bought some good dried hardwood for $125 so I have heat for a little bit over $500. Until this year I used to do the same things as anyone else did, I have a 25,000 BTU Kerosun heater and I also had a Mr Heater single burner propane heater and used to wait until the ambient temperature outside was warm enough to not freeze my butt off. The wood stove is a major improvement and if I was to insulate the garage it would work even better.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 01-04-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428ho4spd View Post
Hey Mike, what's the new endeavor?

Grant
Teaching at a local comunity college.

Advanced Electricity and Electronics and possibly Engine Performance depending on enrollment numbers.

I know the subject matter, building lesson plans is taking some time.

Mike

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 01-04-2011, 03:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I will be swapping intake manifolds on my 461 in my G.P.
I'm going to switch from an RPM to Kaufmans Northwind single plane .

I think It will Compliment my KRE alum d's 310cfm heads .

Also got an ATI 8" 4200 converter to replace the Redneck 3500 deal .

My goal is to be able to run 11.50's thru the exhaust in the heat of the summer.
Currently run's 11.90's-12.0

Old 01-04-2011, 07:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428ho4spd View Post
Have lots of little things to get done before springtime. Pulled the radio, dash speaker and clock out today to get rebuilt-repaired. Will remove rear speaker tomorrow and get them over to my speaker guy. Also need to figure out why the a/c compressor, blower motor and TCS solenoid aren't working. Last will be the engine compartment... a good steam cleaning, flush cooling system, new t-stat, re-core radiator, valve cover gaskets and possibly a new timing chain set if the original nylon cam gear is still in place. Should keep me out of trouble for a few months!

Grant
i need to get to my blower motor switch to replace it. how do you go about getting the radio out to access that area?

Old 01-04-2011, 07:59 PM

Radios are as follows IIRC. Lower A/C duct, Brace on rear of radio, disconnect wiring and antenna, pull off the knobs, remove nuts on shafts, Gently remove radio from escutcheon. kinda of a pita with a console.

Mike

- Winston Churchill
Old 01-04-2011, 10:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike nixon View Post
Radios are as follows IIRC. Lower A/C duct, Brace on rear of radio, disconnect wiring and antenna, pull off the knobs, remove nuts on shafts, Gently remove radio from escutcheon. kinda of a pita with a console.

Mike
thanks Mike, i was thinking removing the console would be required. will do it anyway for the extra room.

when you say "pull off the knobs" do they literally pull off (with some effort) or is there some kind of release to them. don't want to go breaking something.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by daduck View Post
tearing down the 455 with a dark past (pulled from Dodge Power Wagon by PO) to evaluate a mild rebuild using the original crank (if it is good), or maybe a stroker kit if it isn't usable.
The pistons are +.030 so someone has already been in there once.

No heat in the garage, so when it is warm enough I venture out there on the weekend.

At this point in time, PB Blaster is soaking into those stubborb Timing Cover bolts.
If I can't break it loose with the Impact Hammer by this weekend, massive amounts of heat will be applied to the block where those bolts are blind holed.

Dave
do you have some sort of plan as to how you want to build this yet?

all the times i've had problems with the t-cover bolts, they have been stuck in the sleves where they pass through the cover. the cover corroded around them. the head would break off and the stud part would be stuck in the cover and the cover still wouldn't come off.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutrone View Post
I will be swapping intake manifolds on my 461 in my G.P.
I'm going to switch from an RPM to Kaufmans Northwind single plane .

I think It will Compliment my KRE alum d's 310cfm heads .

Also got an ATI 8" 4200 converter to replace the Redneck 3500 deal .

My goal is to be able to run 11.50's thru the exhaust in the heat of the summer.
Currently run's 11.90's-12.0

do you plan on doing one thing at a time and dialing it in and measuring its gain, or just have at it and see what happens? any idea what will give you the biggest gain? a solid half second gain is a good accomplishment. it won't be long before you need a roll bar.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Meaney View Post
thanks Mike, i was thinking removing the console would be required. will do it anyway for the extra room.

when you say "pull off the knobs" do they literally pull off (with some effort) or is there some kind of release to them. don't want to go breaking something.

Knobs just pull off on every one I've removed. Unless someone's glued them on. I've seen that before.

Mike

- Winston Churchill
Old 01-07-2011, 08:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
do you plan on doing one thing at a time and dialing it in and measuring its gain, or just have at it and see what happens? any idea what will give you the biggest gain? a solid half second gain is a good accomplishment. it won't be long before you need a roll bar.
Matt,
I'm not sure. I should do one change at a time but i'm way to impatient lol .
I'll probably just have at it .

Hope to pick up a couple tenths with each swap ?

Roll bar.. No ! not in this car . I'll be happy with 11.5-6's

Old 01-08-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
i have alot of things i want to do to the car i bought this past spring. a previous owner wasn't nearly as obsessive at making things "right" as i am. to each his own. unfortunately this fall didn't go as planned, so it might not be untill spring that i'll actually get started on it.

anyway, what are you guys up to? making some changes/upgrades, finishing touches, things to be done mid build, just getting started.

kieth, you always have something going on. any udates on the 71?

mrrat, how's the SSJ comming?

who else has something in the works?
I have to run up to Maine and cut a left lower quarter out of a good parts car. Gonna put a timing chain in it for now and a good tune up and rebuild carb. Stroker kit in the summer. Enjoy looking at it in the cellar next to my chevelle while watching a Patriot's game.