Old 04-06-2020, 11:05 AM

Default carb. rebuild

I thought i would post the carb. rebuild i did on my 67 400 auto ac , I got cliffs book and kit, I just got this car three months ago and when looking at carb. i could tell someone had rebuild it. after driving it a couple of times it had a bad flat spot, hard starting. first thoughts buy new carb. after reading many post on here and talking to cliff ( great guy to talk to ) this was the carb. to stay with., after taking it off i plug the manifoild, and did the rebuild, also i put on a elec. fuel pump. car now runs great, I only turn on elec. pump after cars sits for days to prime and starts up great, also just order new steel lines from pump to carb, to get rid of all the rubber hoses, thanks cliffs without talking to you i might have gone diff. route

Old 04-07-2020, 11:56 AM

also should i use vac, to set idle screws or the old school way

Old 04-07-2020, 12:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I watched my father do it the way I'm going to describe it, and I did the same way for 50 years working as a mechanic.

To get the best quality idle on a car with an A/T, either set the parking brake, and block the wheels, or have someone you trust, sit in the car and hold the brakes on. Put the car in gear and adjust the mixture screws until the engine is as smooth as possible. You'll have to alternate from side to side to get it just right. If after getting the best idle, you have to adjust the idle speed, up or down, you should go over the mixture screws again to get the best possible idle in gear, at the proper idle speed. It's a balancing act, but you'll get the smoothest idle in gear with the procedure I've described.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 04-07-2020, 02:31 PM

thats a good way to doy it thanks

Old 04-08-2020, 01:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That's the way I recall being taught to do it also..back in the '70s. I was thinking that I'd actually seen it in one of the old MOTORS manuals also?

Old 04-08-2020, 03:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I learned on a manual trans and still use about the same method. Only difference is starting with idle mixture, lower idle, idle mixture, and so on balancing things out for smoothest idle at the lowest possible RPM. Then return the idle speed to a normal level after you are done.

If using the auto trans procedure in gear, set the emergency really tight with wheels blocked -- just in case you forget and blip the throttle.

Old 04-08-2020, 08:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What electric fuel pump did you use to fill the carb?

Old 04-08-2020, 10:57 AM

I use a pluse pump 5lbs have to look under car to see what brand if you want. it was like 50.00 came with a filter also.

Old 04-08-2020, 11:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't forget to make sure the engine is up to full operating temp when adjusting the idle mixture screws.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild