THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 03:50 PM
Suspended

Boris Johnson is now in ICU

Old 04-06-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyakr View Post
We also live near a small town. Main grocery stores are WM & Brookshires.

Have you found any TP at your store ?

It's been around 2 months since we found any TP to buy. It's absolutely ridiculous !

The best we can do is non-flushable paper towels, napkins, & facial tissue.

But hey, that's better than the Sears & Roebuck catalog pages, corncobs, etc, we had to use in my grandparents double-holer outhouse. Ah, those were the days ! My Dad told me that the only thing good about the "good ole days" was that he was younger back then.

Hey, he came up in the '20's & '30's, during the great depression days, driving T-models, A-models, as well as horse & mule drawn wagons. When he told me all that, it was up in the '60's. So, for him, it had to be almost a completely different world, than the one he knew, growing up. Think about all the changes old people saw, when they grew up in the early 20th century, & lived into the 21st century. Many things existed only in their memories, or in old pics. My Mom & TJ's Mom both lived into their late '90's, & passed within the last 10 years. They saw a LOT of changes during their lifetime.

Here's TMI about TP. Apparently, TP has been around for a long time, for those who could afford it. I'm old enuff to remember a time when lots of poor country folks couldn't afford the luxury. Now that we can afford it, we can't find any to buy, in the year 2020. How weird is that ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toilet_paper
I can relate : back in the 60's , going to "Grandmother's house :
using the "monkey wards & S-R catalogs" in the 'two-holer' - - in East Texas , before "Lake Tawakoni"'
Then, going to Sunday Church in my Granddads "wagon" . . . . just ---
dated myself, I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
My wife's grandmother was born in 1901 and passed away at the age of 95.

She went from horse and buggy and fabric covered airplanes to a man on the moon.

K
Also, I'm with you on this one, too .
But, I've got = = One Of Those " Fabric - Covered - Airplanes , sitting in my
drive-way right now .
Thanks , for th' "memories ……………… jim

Stay SAFE out there . - - - - - - - --- This 'virus' may be over in JULY ………………………………………..
………………………………
……………………..

of 2030 .

Old 04-06-2020, 05:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I like it when the college kids tell me how bad things are, that they are living through the worst world ever.
I mention I was alive for JFK, RFK, Martin Luther King ( I lived in Memphis at the time), attempts on Ford and Reagan, Watt's riots, Kent state, Vietnam War, tail end of Korea, several other small wars, 9-11 (lost a brother-in-law), domestic bombings happening every other month, various radical domestic terrorist groups of the 60's and 70's ... and ... Hippies.

And all that of that was nothing compared to WWII ...

But they are convinced that the world is horrible and so unfair to them and their lives are just the hardest it's ever been.

The Following User Says Thank You to dataway For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 09:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
I think he would get a pretty fast run through into ICU being how he is the UK Prime Minister.

And I don't blame them for admitting him to ICU. They need him back on deck, fully fit ASAP.

Old 04-07-2020, 02:24 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinshadows View Post
... Grandmother's house :... in the 'two-holer...
... just dated myself, I guess...
Dated yourself? I was six before we had indoor plumbing. There were only my parents and three kids, so just a one-hole outhouse. Anybody else here had a chamber pot in their bedroom during cold winter nights? And... "If you use it, you empty and clean it in the morning".

Old 04-07-2020, 09:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gifford View Post
Dated yourself? I was six before we had indoor plumbing. There were only my parents and three kids, so just a one-hole outhouse. Anybody else here had a chamber pot in their bedroom during cold winter nights? And... "If you use it, you empty and clean it in the morning".
We did, Jack. We lived in a two story house when I was growing up but Mom was afraid one of use would fall down the stairs at night going to the bathroom, so we had a “thunder mug” upstairs until I was 7 or 8.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 04-07-2020, 10:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Last night, our Walmart had lots of paper towels and a fairly decent supply of TP.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 04-07-2020, 12:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Like many, I look at grocery workers in a new light now. Four have died with COVID so far, I just read.

Old 04-07-2020, 01:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post
Last night, our Walmart had lots of paper towels and a fairly decent supply of TP.

Eric
Albertson's, somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200406-190129_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	536589  

Old 04-07-2020, 01:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
As of this morning, PM Johnson is listed in "stable" condition.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 04-07-2020, 01:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by einstein View Post
Albertson's, somewhere.
Someone has a sense of humor in all this insanity.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
The Following User Says Thank You to hurryinhoosier62 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2020, 01:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Got our new stats from INDOH this afternoon. As of 1:07 PM EDT, Indiana has 5,507 positive cases of COVID-19; 3,371 of these cases are in the Indy metro area. The statewide average infection rate is holding at just over 19%. There are still counties here in IN reporting zero cases. Locally, we have 74 cases and had our first death reported. Nationally, two states account for 57% of all COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. and 48.5% of all confirmed cases: New York and New Jersey.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 04-07-2020, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Numbers are being skewed. ANY QUICK Test ONLY tests for antibodies that you could have made in last 20 years for a cold or the Flu. Also they are lumping in Flu cases into these numbers. SO, if you EVER had a cold, or FLU, YOU can test positive. These blown up numbers just scare people.

Old 04-07-2020, 01:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

To Culture a sample and correctly ID it, takes 24 hours at least. Drive thru testing is not a helping anything but Panic.

Old 04-07-2020, 02:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
To Culture a sample and correctly ID it, takes 24 hours at least. Drive thru testing is not a helping anything but Panic.
Bruce, IN does NOT use "drive thru" testing. They are all cultured tests performed by INDOH in coordination with private labs. IN also has one of the most aggressive testing protocols, especially for the elderly, in the U.S.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 04-07-2020, 02:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Numbers are being skewed. ANY QUICK Test ONLY tests for antibodies that you could have made in last 20 years for a cold or the Flu. Also they are lumping in Flu cases into these numbers.
Quote:
Who is using serological tests?
All the drive through testings around here are specific for SARS-CoV-2
using swaps of mouth and nose.
They are accurate and specific for the Covid-19 and no others.
Also what the data US uses for their reports.
Back in the 1st weeks of the spread, there were a lot of problems, but now the problem is not enough tests to accurately define how many infections are here.
Now the data is under-reported, so actually the totals are higher.

Most panic is from not adhering to the guidelines to stay away from other people. Hard to spread if you're not in contact with other people.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 04-07-2020, 03:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post

Eric
Real good sign
Sounds like your town is settling down and balancing out.
Congrats !

The new standard of measure

Old 04-07-2020, 05:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

still no TP around..did get some clorox wipes..first time in a month...food was normal levels..i didnt see anything crazy...store was kinda empty

but traffic was crazy..havent seen that in a few weeks..where is everyone going if theres a shelter at home order?? THE craziest thing i saw today was an ice cream truck driving thru the neighborhood open for business...music and bells ringing loud..like really???

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 04-07-2020, 07:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The county just south of me is one of the hot spots in Georgia. Dougherty county, Ga. has 939 positive cases and there have been 52 deaths. I live in Lee county, just a mile north of Dougherty county, where there are 195 positive cases with 15 deaths. My wife works at the hospital in Dougherty County so I am justifiably concerned for her health. Toilet paper and paper towels are easy to find but hand sanitizer, disinfectant and now dish detergent are nowhere to be found.

Old 04-07-2020, 08:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxjunk View Post
........ THE craziest thing i saw today was an ice cream truck driving thru the neighborhood open for business...music and bells ringing loud..like really???

Sounds like a Twilight Zone scene.

The Following User Says Thank You to 400 4spd. For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread