Midwest Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

          
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-19-2023, 01:23 PM
freebird69's Avatar
freebird69 freebird69 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: utica, mi
Posts: 185
Default Any good classic car mechanics in SE Michigan to recommend?

I've had my 69 Firebird for over 20 years and I have always at least tried to handle all of the mechanical problems myself. The sad truth is that It's getting difficult as I age and the days of me crawling around on the concrete are over. Last summer I had to take my car in to have a broken motor mount bolt and rear main seal replaced and I had to call around to find someone that actually had experience with old cars. It would be nice if others had positive experiences.

Do any of you around SE MI know of any good an reliable shops that you can recommend?

  #2  
Old 01-20-2023, 12:22 PM
Pershing Pershing is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 79
Default

I am in SE Michigan and I feel your pain. There was a great guy in Manchester that I used for many years but he passed away last year. He even had a paint shop and a body shop in addition to a machine shop. A fellow in Ann Arbor ran a normal service station but he liked to work on "60-'80 cars too. He sold it and the new owners just want the normal wear and tear, brake jobs, AC repair, oil change lube, etc. So no, sadly i can't find anyone either that is reputable, trustworthy and can and likes to work on older cars.

  #3  
Old 01-20-2023, 01:31 PM
freebird69's Avatar
freebird69 freebird69 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: utica, mi
Posts: 185
Default

I assume that there must be guys that enjoy working on older cars and can be trusted. FYI, I just had some work done by a guy in Pontiac MI who was recommended by a Pontiac owner I met at a car show. The guy is apparently experienced with Pontiacs but I had a horrible experience with this guy regarding shoddy and incomplete work. The only thing that I can think of to do is to call around to local shops and start picking guys brains.

  #4  
Old 01-20-2023, 02:14 PM
Sirrotica's Avatar
Sirrotica Sirrotica is offline
Ultimate Warrior
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Catawba Ohio
Posts: 6,934
Default

Car clubs would also be another source to find a competent mechanic in and around your area. Some of the members have to be in the same boat as you are in, and have had to source out repairs.

Many times excellent mechanics can be found that are connected to race tracks and events. Usually dirt tracks can have some high quality mechanics around them, there are hacks too, in every field, so reputation is the key.

__________________
Brad Yost
1973 T/A (SOLD)
2005 GTO
1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

  #5  
Old 01-21-2023, 10:52 AM
freebird69's Avatar
freebird69 freebird69 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: utica, mi
Posts: 185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
Car clubs would also be another source to find a competent mechanic in and around your area. Some of the members have to be in the same boat as you are in, and have had to source out repairs.

Many times excellent mechanics can be found that are connected to race tracks and events. Usually dirt tracks can have some high quality mechanics around them, there are hacks too, in every field, so reputation is the key.
That's a great idea, thanks! Since it's winter and no events happening I might just reach out to some Pontiac related clubs near me via email or whatever and see what I can find.

  #6  
Old 01-23-2023, 11:35 AM
XLR8STEVE's Avatar
XLR8STEVE XLR8STEVE is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 179
Default

I am in SE MI also. DM me what you are looking to have done as what you need dictates who I may be able to give you for referral.

__________________

Steve
  #7  
Old 03-28-2023, 09:26 PM
RedBird67 RedBird67 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2023
Location: Detroit area
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird69 View Post
I assume that there must be guys that enjoy working on older cars and can be trusted. FYI, I just had some work done by a guy in Pontiac MI who was recommended by a Pontiac owner I met at a car show. The guy is apparently experienced with Pontiacs but I had a horrible experience with this guy regarding shoddy and incomplete work. The only thing that I can think of to do is to call around to local shops and start picking guys brains.
Im in exactly the same predicament. Being in the Detroit area, it would seem solid mechanics, especially for the iconic cars from the Big 3, that wed be deep with builders and talent.

Im glad to have found this thread, since Im in need of substantial (but straightforward) work on the car. Basically, I need to pony up and get a lift for the garage but also need skilled input with what Id like to do.

  #8  
Old 03-29-2023, 06:52 AM
Keith Seymore's Avatar
Keith Seymore Keith Seymore is offline
Ultimate Warrior
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Motor City
Posts: 8,003
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBird67 View Post
I’m in exactly the same predicament. Being in the Detroit area, it would seem solid mechanics, especially for the iconic cars from the Big 3, that we’d be deep with builders and talent.

Im glad to have found this thread, since I’m in need of substantial (but straightforward) work on the car. Basically, I need to pony up and get a lift for the garage but also need skilled input with what I’d like to do.
I'd say we are swimming in local (and national level) talent but they are working on their own stuff.

Contacting the local clubs is a good idea. I would suggest the Widetrackers chapter of POCI (more like the Lapeer area) and the Motor City Chapter (Howell/Milford area).

K

http://miwidetrackers16.org/pageone.htm

https://motorcitypoci.com/

__________________
'63 LeMans Convertible
'63 Grand Prix
'65 GTO - original, unrestored, Dad was original owner, 5000 original mile Royal Pontiac factory racer
'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
  #9  
Old 03-31-2023, 02:48 PM
freebird69's Avatar
freebird69 freebird69 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: utica, mi
Posts: 185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
I'd say we are swimming in local (and national level) talent but they are working on their own stuff.

Contacting the local clubs is a good idea. I would suggest the Widetrackers chapter of POCI (more like the Lapeer area) and the Motor City Chapter (Howell/Milford area).

K

http://miwidetrackers16.org/pageone.htm

https://motorcitypoci.com/
Yep, there are a lot of motorheads in our area but not in the shops apparently. Like I mentioned in the OP, I called a bunch of shops in my area not long ago and most said "sorry but we don't work on old cars." In my mind I think.... but aren't older cars easier to repair than new ones? Heck, I had to consult Mr Youtube just to replace the battery in my Equinox!

FYI, I popped onto the MIWidetrackers site and they have a link called "Mechanics that do good work." When you pick it it has one link that is permanently closed. :-(

  #10  
Old 03-31-2023, 04:15 PM
freebird69's Avatar
freebird69 freebird69 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: utica, mi
Posts: 185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBird67 View Post
Im in exactly the same predicament. Being in the Detroit area, it would seem solid mechanics, especially for the iconic cars from the Big 3, that wed be deep with builders and talent.

Im glad to have found this thread, since Im in need of substantial (but straightforward) work on the car. Basically, I need to pony up and get a lift for the garage but also need skilled input with what Id like to do.
You would think with all of the classic cars around our area there would be enough demand for repair that shops to work on them. I know a lot of guys work on their own cars but there are many that don't and they all need stuff done. Maybe it's too seasonal?

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:16 PM.

 

About Us

The PY Online Forums is the largest online gathering of Pontiac enthusiasts anywhere in the world. Founded in 1991, it was also the first online forum for people to gather and talk about their Pontiacs. Since then, it has become the mecca of Pontiac technical data and knowledge that no other place can surpass.

 




Copyright © 2017