Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 10-21-2017, 04:44 PM
Senior Chief

Default Fuel injector selection

I had to switch from a super victor intake to a victor(torker 2) due to hood clearance issues. Now my current injectors are too tall. They put the rail where the throttle bracket/ lever needs to be. A spacer tall enough to help pretty much puts things back into hood clearance issues. So, I am looking for new injectors. Pico, high impedance and in the 42 lb/ hr rating. Are there brands to stay away from? Are GM LS3 injectors a good option? I was going to get the FAST injectors, just checking before I buy. Thanks.

Old 10-21-2017, 06:48 PM
Boost Engineer

Talk to Herb at Luhn Performance. He just modded a similar Torquer II EFI to use the larger (body) injectors and position the fuel rails and intake elbow throttle body system to clear things nicely. Pictures he skyped showed some really nice work.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:35 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks. Did it involve milling the injector boss more flat? I will post whatever solution I end up with.

Old 10-22-2017, 10:57 AM
Senior Chief

Default Victor EFI (Torker II)

Here is our modified Torker II EFI intake manifold using a Holley EV-1 style Bosch injector and our fuel rails. The standoffs are from a Super Victor EFI rail set. Note the injector spacing is different from the Victor to the Super Victor EFI products
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Torker II port inj.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	465939  

www.luhnperformance.com
Old 10-26-2017, 03:59 PM
Senior Chief

Ended up buy the pico injectors from Butler Performance. Time and hassle of milling was just not worth it in this application.

Old 10-26-2017, 04:02 PM
Senior Chief

As a note. I could use the same rails for both intakes, Super Victor/ Victor(torker). Spacing was the same.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPI View Post
Here is our modified Torker II EFI intake manifold using a Holley EV-1 style Bosch injector and our fuel rails. The standoffs are from a Super Victor EFI rail set. Note the injector spacing is different from the Victor to the Super Victor EFI products
how much will this set up sell for a pontiac 400

Old 01-03-2018, 03:24 PM
Senior Chief

Default Edelbrock EFI intakes & fuel rails

Edelbrock sells two EFI ready to go intake manifolds for our Pontiac's based off their N/A cousins.

The Edelbrock Torker II part number 5056 is the N/A version and the modified casting EFI intake is dubbed the Victor EFI or the Torker II for EFI part number 50565.

The mating fuel injector rail for the 50565 intake is Edelbrock's part number 3637.

The Edelbrock Victor part number is 2956/7 for the N/A version and the modified casting EFI intake dubbed the Super Victor EFI intake is part number 29565/29575.

The mating fuel injector rail for the 29565/75 intake is Edelbrock's part number 3634.

On a factory cast Torker II EFI intake we believe it was designed for low/med Hp EFI setups utilizing the very short PICO style fuel injectors and their short fuel rails.

Edelbrock engineered the Torker II intake to possibly aid in spray pattern direction by tilting the injector bore center line at the top of the injector in towards the center line of the camshaft tunnel by a fair amount (More than 10 degrees). Thus causing any other type of fuel injector (EV-1 or EV-6) and or aftermarket fuel rail to interfere with the throttle linkage of a typical 4150 style 1000 cfm EFI throttle body.

We put both sets of EFI intakes and fuel injection rails in the CNC in our fabricated 90 degree intake manifold fixture and CMM'd all of the holes and surfaces.

We confirmed what Edelbrock told us on the phone that the fuel rails are not interchangeable (they would not divulge details and we do not blame them for that) and they have a vast difference in the center to center distance between the injector hole pair distances. This distance far exceeds any concentric tolerance specification of a fuel injector O-ring.

Now that we have this information we can provide custom and larger volume fuel rail assemblies for your EFI project. We also offer Cerakote and Anodized finish on all billet and extruded parts to deter any type of fuel erosion.

On the system in the above pictures we decided to try changing the injector hole location and angle. This would allow us to use a larger Holley brand EFI fuel rail 534-206 and the Holley HP 1000 CFM 4150 flange polished throttle body part number 112-588. This car is going to be run on 93 and E85 type fuels. Possibly later supercharged.

We moved the holes and added a new set of injector bores. It was a great learning experience but from a customer value this is not a wise choice. If someone would like to run the more standard EV-1 type injector and fuel rail system I would suggest modifying a standard (non EFI) Torker II intake with our new EFI paired injector boss.

This is a more cost effective way of modifying an excellent intake for an EFI application.

The more user friendly injector boss modification (The original intake design and experiment was $4000) would run $800.

Our AN ORB -8 anodized fuel rails are $320 a pair

With all that said, the end result on a 406 CID cast iron headed 11.3:1 compression engine in a heavy 1969 GTO convertible with 3.55 rear gears. It was equipped with a giant 295 drag radial out back and a solid turbo 400 transmission, to us it was incredibly surprising.

The off idle throttle response of this intake with the efi was phenomenal. It would spin the tires at will from a dead stop with no hesitation or bog. The pull thru the gears was very strong yet smooth but very quick. Going from 50 to 80 was instant and no sign of the change since we did not "kick in" the four barrels.

As an alternative the Professional Products Hurricane intake (Sold thru Butlers) is another excellent intake manifold that is very cost effective when used in an EFI situation. We have a number of the original ones on the shelf. If you can find one on the internet at one time this intake was sold as an EFI ready manifold too. I would say an old Torker I or HSD would work equally as well.

When planning your EFI system remember to look at where you want to end up as far as injector size/style and or placement and the fuel type you plan to run.

We will be following up with another topic on this installation and the use of the GM/Continental Flex Fuel sensor and how it allowed us to blend the fuel to an E50 blend and build a tune around it.

If you have any questions please feel free to call or email us and we will do our best to answer your question.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Torker II fixture.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	471520  

www.luhnperformance.com
Old 01-03-2018, 04:03 PM
Boost Engineer

Nice Post Mark!
Tom V

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:48 AM
Senior Chief

Do you guys know if that Edelbrock Victor EFI is able to accept the short style Bosch injectors?

This a popular many people like to chase down...
http://www.sonicperformance.com.au/B...8CNG%29/pd.php

Old 01-05-2018, 08:13 AM
Boost Engineer

You mean the PICO Injectors?

Tom V.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:16 AM
Senior Chief

Default EV-1 injector versus a PICO injector

An EV-1 type Bosch injector is around 68 mm O-ring to O-ring.

I believe like Tom mentioned, the injector that you are referencing is referred to as a PICO injector at a length of 38 mm O-ring to O-ring.

We have not used this type of injector in a boosted EFI combination to date so I do not have first hand experience with it. Based on the CAD drawings the 30 mm difference would buy you a lot as far as real estate for a throttle body and linkage.

You probably will need at least a 1/2" spacer to be on the safe side.

My recommendation would be to call Butler Performance as they do many of these N/A EFI applications with the "Torker II" EFI intake.

Thank you for the link and a reference to those injectors and that vendor!

www.luhnperformance.com
Old 01-08-2018, 10:26 PM

I just bought a set of those bosch injectors, I will try to get them stuck in my Victor intake this week and snap some pics. They look like they will work fine, but I have my throttle body mounted on an elbow so I have a ton of clearance. I got mine from vsracing, hard to beat for $535, have not heard of any issues with them yet.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:23 AM
Senior Chief

Here are pics of the same fuel rail installed on both Edelbrock intakes. Not arguing with Edelbrock, just showing what I used. The spacing was the same. Can't seem to get the pic rotated, sorry.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1052.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	472158   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1353.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	472159