Pacific California | Idaho | Nevada | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska

Old 04-11-2013, 03:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az
Default Barona antique drags? San Diego area

Curious if anyone is going to the Barona antique drags on Sunday, April 21?
Has anyone ever been to them?

I'm thinking of going and have never visited this track. Looking for comments/opinions on the event and the facility.

thank you!

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11
Old 04-11-2013, 11:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The only ones I have missed were when my car wasn't running. D-Mac and I will both be there.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Barona is pretty much in Jim's backyard. We get down there every now and then and always have a great time. It has quite a bit of the flavor of Speedworld, just half the length.

Pic #3 shows the end of the strip. Sand, old net, and the rocks somewhere below at the bottom of the cliff.

OK, that was taken with a telephoto lens, but the view still looks pretty imposing crossing the stripe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1250.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	319499   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0194_640.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	319500   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0066_800.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	319503   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1241_640.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	319504  

Old 04-12-2013, 04:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's the one close place for me to race - 22 miles from my house. I haven't missed the Antique Drags, unless my car was down, for about 12 years. It used to be at Carlsbad.

The track does have a short shutdown, so don't dilly-dally at the end. It's not quite as bad as making the first turnout at Speedworld.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

As of now, I am going to try to attend. If anyone meets for breakfast before, or dinner after, I would like to join you if OK. Please let me know.

Steve
480-899-7873

Hosting-
Old 04-12-2013, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Need a co-pilot?

POCI.org
Old 04-12-2013, 09:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanickeith View Post
Need a co-pilot?
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Hosting-
Old 04-15-2013, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Barcak View Post
As of now, I am going to try to attend. If anyone meets for breakfast before, or dinner after, I would like to join you if OK. Please let me know.

Steve
480-899-7873
Steve - D-Mac and I plan on meeting at the McDonalds in Ramona at about 7:15 AM Sunday morning. Dinner depends on when we decide to leave. We take our cars up on Saturday and leave them there, so it's pretty easy to get into the track in the morning. We frequently stop at the Boll Weevil in Ramona on the way home, it just depends on everyone else's plans.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Taylor View Post
Steve - D-Mac and I plan on meeting at the McDonalds in Ramona at about 7:15 AM Sunday morning. Dinner depends on when we decide to leave. We take our cars up on Saturday and leave them there, so it's pretty easy to get into the track in the morning. We frequently stop at the Boll Weevil in Ramona on the way home, it just depends on everyone else's plans.
Thanks for the update Jim. It looks like Keith and I will be going and possibly Glenn Gibbons too with his race car. If Glenn goes, we will probably ride with him instead of driving separately.

Hosting-
Old 04-20-2013, 06:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Steve - Is Glenn going? If so, I think we have a place large enough for his rig. The track was already very busy today, so finding a pit spot is going to be tough. We currently have our racecars parked in between our trailers. We do this so we can get our trucks back in place in the morning. If you can get there about the same time we are maneuvering, then you can pull into it as soon as our trucks are back in place. We are pitted directly behind the bleachers. Hopefully Glenn's trailer isn't too big.

Mac and I will be at the MacDonalds on Main St. in Ramona atg 7:15. We plan on being at the track at about 8:00.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Glenn ending up going but, I did not learn of that until this morning when he was already there. Keith and I left Maricopa around 3am and had multiple problems along the way. We had a fuel delivery issue that we fixed easily then, the LR tire belt let go and battered my left quarter panel. We kept forging onward to Barona only to discover a bad trans leak outside of Yuma ( where we still are deciding what to do). We are looking into options including dropping the trans on the side of the road but, am concerned if we do not fix it, we are stuck. So, we are going to load the trunk up with trans fluid and supplies and attempt to limp the GTO back an estimated 150 or so miles. Fluid is coming out in the front seal area pretty bad. We found a car wash to clean it to look at it better but, cannot tell what it is exactly. I just do not want a wrecker bill from Yuma.
Wish us well as we journey back across the desert with a badly leaking 700r4.

This is all unexpected as my GTO has ben very reliable and I just made a 500 tow with no issues. oh well.
Anyway, we are sorry to not making it, we really gave it our best try. Have fun and be safe and let us know how you all did.

Hosting-
Old 04-21-2013, 10:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Steve - Sorry to hear that. I spoke with Glenn and he said he lost second gear on his first run. He had just rebuilt the trans. He was still running in the 6.30's going straight from 1st to 3rd. When I left he had just won his second round run in the A/FX class. My car did pretty well. First run off the trailer I had a 0.005 RT and the car ran 6.34 at 109.56. Air was 3400'. As is normal at Barona, the runs kept getting slower as the day wore on. There was a very large turn out this time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Barona 2013-0421 small.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	320793  

Old 04-21-2013, 11:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Steve,Seal Beach next sat if you want another road trip!Tom

Old 04-26-2014, 09:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.baronadrags.com/antiques.shtml

I might run my son's Chevelle.

46th ANTIQUE DRAGS at Barona 1/8 Mile Drags

SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY
MAY 4, 2014

Open to ALL 1975 & OLDER CARS!

Gates open at 6:00 AM, Racing Starts at 8:00 AM

IT'S ONE BIG GRUDGE MATCH!!

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 04-27-2014, 02:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This will be the only one I have missed in many years. My granddaughter and her family are moving to South Carolina this weekend, so I need to stay around home.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Track Photo 002 small.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	361566