Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Turbo Converter

Anyone have a torque converter guy that does not charge an arm and a leg just because it is a turbo car? Switching to automatic and it's costing me my 1st born!

Old 11-22-2017, 10:45 PM
Boost Engineer

What the Keens used to do was talk to all of the racers and ask if they had Powerglide converters that were speced out for 7500 rpm up.
Maybe the guy did not have exactly the right combination for the converter so it sat on the shelf. Being a Chebby trans and converter there were a lot of chebby racers with parts on the shelf. So each weekend (that they off from the race series they ran), they would "survey" a couple of "borrowed converters" in their race car. If the converters did the job for them, they paid the owner for the converter and put it on the shelf in the trailer with the track numbers.

A couple of times they hurt Transmissions, had 3 in the trailer and a friend named "Ron" who built/refreshed them for the Keens. So now the Converter and the Trans needed to be swapped for different parts, so they matched the converter to the different track testing on the spare powerglides and were back in the race the next day.

So that might be a potential strategy for you depending on which automatic trans you decide to run. Food for thought.

Tom V.

ps The Chebby guys at one time complained about the Keens running the well built 2 speed Powerglide trans in their car.
The Keens told the Chebby guys, "No problem" you remove the 9" Ford Rears in your cars and put a 10 bolt Chebby rear back in the cars and we will put a Ford Trans back in our car. END OF DISCUSSION. GOOD RACERS do stuff for a reason.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 11-22-2017 at 10:52 PM.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:34 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

PTC sell a nitrous converter for around $450 it has anti-balloon plate and off the shelf it stalled around 3200 for me with my 462. Give them a call.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 bird View Post
PTC sell a nitrous converter for around $450 it has anti-balloon plate and off the shelf it stalled around 3200 for me with my 462. Give them a call.
How heavy is your car and how much slip did it have? How much boost. Thanks for any info!!

Old 12-20-2017, 08:00 PM
Senior Chief

Converters are expensive, but not getting the good one the first time is gonna end up costing you a bunch more. I used my na converter when I turboed. It was way loose. Felt good on the street, but it was short bursts. On the dyno it blew through so bad that I only managed about 115mph. I took that out and traded it in for the expensive PTC. That one was way better/tighter. It ran a lot better, but would turn the shift light on most of the way down the track without getting through the quarter. After sending it in for tightening it's great now. It's so tight now that it feels like a manual lugging a little sometimes, but it's perfect under boost. Love it.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A good friend of mine has $4000.00 into a billet bolt together, I will never be that fast because I could not afford it. I am almost ready to call a few converter guys.
Pro Torque is 15-20 minutes away, PTC and ATI is on my list. I think they are all good for what I need, so the better price will win.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Stay clear of ATI converters. My choices would be either PTC or Neil Chance. We bought a 10" PTC bolt-together 9 years ago when it was a nitrous car. When we switched to boost we called PTC and they sent another stator ($261) and we went racing. When we changed the gear to go run 1/4 mile I called them again and the sent me another stator and it too was dead on. Point being pay for the right stuff from a good company and you wont regret it. The bolt together converters are nice because you don't have to send them back every time to make changes and if you need to change back like we do between 1//8 and 1/4 it just makes sense. Plus if you have a trans failure it makes it very easy to clean the converter. Just my

6.98 @ 199mph
4.53 @ 164mph
Old 12-20-2017, 10:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank's Billy, I am trying to get my friends Neal Chance bolt together, he went to a bigger spline, he is not sure because he uses his old tranny and that converter as a back up. A drag week guy.

Old 12-21-2017, 12:33 PM
Suspended

I have a Transmission Specialties Convertor...........its a Bad A$$, their customer service is outstanding BUT since you have a street car with turbos just go with a Vega convertor.......LOL!

GTO George

Old 12-21-2017, 12:42 PM
Boost Engineer

Neal Chance stuff was in Marty's Turbo 400 and as everyone knows IT was a fast turbo car that ran a lot of boost. Something to be said for buying the well known brand name converter vs an off brand. By the way Neal Chance is a heck of a nice gentleman. Had breakfast with him a couple of times in Orlando at the PRI Shows there. (Because of the connection with Marty's car).

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:20 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE View Post
I have a Transmission Specialties Convertor...........its a Bad A$$, their customer service is outstanding BUT since you have a street car with turbos just go with a Vega convertor.......LOL!

GTO George
So an ADD on to my above post..........The reason I choose Transmission Specialties was they were one of the only companys that would redo my B & M convertor when it started to slip "top end" too much (15%+). Bought my B & M convertor a very long time ago it was one of the BEST converters at the time...paid over $1,000 for it (Mech. Diode, Steel Stator, ETC.), anyways after a while it started to slip ALOT! So I called a bunch of Converter companies (Neal Chance, PTC, ETC.) AND THEY WOULDNT TOUCH IT.........they all wanted to SELL me a NEW one (Gotta make MONEY), so I called Transmission Speaciliaties they said send it to them! They called me a short while later and said they'll tighten it up but wasn't sure how much, they also wanted to replace my anti-balloning plate (or something like that). I said just tighten it up (I thought it would hold). Well after installing it my slippage went down to single (6% maybe less) digits but I ballooned it after a while (me BAD). I shipped it back to them and they Fixed it for FREE! No I told you so's.... they just fixed it!! Got it back VERY QUICKLY and its been ROCK solid ever since! Over 1,100 foot lbs of torque at over 3,200lbs hammering it every pass!! This isn't an i know some one thing....this it real Racer to Racer thing!

GTO George

Old 12-21-2017, 06:24 PM
Boost Engineer

I knew you could not keep from running your mouth or complaining about how poor you are.
No one cares that you found someone to fix your one time mess George, they are asking about converters out there today.
You continue to amaze me with your stupidity on so many things. But you are an excellent example of what not to do with an engine or transmission.

Tom V.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:07 PM
Suspended

Tom,
You are total A$$, my post has nothing to do with you and your post had nothing to do with my post. My post is about a converter/transmission place “Transmission Specialties!”

GTO George

Old 12-21-2017, 10:14 PM
Boost Engineer

So you bought a converter from a company and when it had issues no one else would 'touch it".
Wonder why? DOH. So then you find a place that will do something with your POS and they recommend that you replace parts with better parts and you say no.

So then it fails again due to your stupidity, (you admitted it) and you shipped it back to them anyway and the they fixed it on their dime even though it was your stupidity.

So now you are bragging the people up because they felt sorry for you being an idiot, and fixed your deal for free. So you are an idiot, a moocher of parts, and a braggart that you got the parts on someone else's dime. Not because they were better than say Neal Chance. They were cheaper (FREE).

Typical, George, Typical. Someone always has to cover your mistakes. That is the part that bothers me the most about you. You are stupid, you break parts, and then you want someone else to fix the broken parts for free on their dime. As many people have said, you are the perfect example of IDIOT.

Tom V.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:14 PM
Suspended

.........anyways Transmission Specialties is a Great converter place and an awesome customer service!

GTOBGeorge

Old 12-22-2017, 08:03 AM
Boost Engineer

ALWAYS buy the best that you can afford, and then don't complain if something goes wrong with it later. If you cannot pay, you should not play.

Tom V.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I am leaning towards a bolt together now. I like the idea of being able to change it myself with out shipping, As Billy said, if you break the tranny, cleaning the converter is easy. Sometimes haste makes waste. I will keep saving. This car is bleeding me right now with the changes going on. Winter just started so I have time.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:46 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
ALWAYS buy the best that you can afford, and then don't complain if something goes wrong with it later. If you cannot pay, you should not play.

Tom V.
Hey......NON-racer/wanna-be I always buy the BEST for my car......Billet Crank, Aluminum rods, Transmissions, Converter, Aftermarket Block, Oil Pan, ETC......MONEY is never an issue. Transmission Specialties is one of the BEST out there. You can't make over 1,200 HP (at only 11 lbs of boost) and make it live PASS after PASS after PASS (Racing) without buying the BEST! Yes WE know YOU know someone who knows someone that has a Brother thats married to someone that races........GOOD for you! LMAO! Like you said If you can't pay, you shouldn't play........I'M STILL PLAYING (year after year after year)....how about you? NEVER mind We know the answer! Hows your race car coming........cant AFFORD to play huh! LMAO!

GTO George

Old 12-22-2017, 08:48 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPONT View Post
I am leaning towards a bolt together now. I like the idea of being able to change it myself with out shipping, As Billy said, if you break the tranny, cleaning the converter is easy. Sometimes haste makes waste. I will keep saving. This car is bleeding me right now with the changes going on. Winter just started so I have time.
Take your time and do it right the first time! Good Luck!

GTO George