Old 08-03-2003, 01:17 AM

Hey folks.

I found an ad for a $2000.00 1970 Bonneville ragtop about five miles from my house yesterday. It's got a 120k+ on the original 455, a rebuilt turbo 400 trans from another car, PS, PB, non-functional ("needs charge") A/C, power top ("torn up") and power windows and seats.

Apparently there isn't a panel without some kind of dings, minor dents or surface rust. The trunk and floor pans have some 2" holes and probably plenty hidden rust. The car was originally some shade of green, but is now yellow.

I called today and the owner seemed pretty straight forward. He stated that he has 2 mid sixtees goats and had initially bought the car with a blown tranny for a engine donor. After deliberation, he decided to take a rebuilt trans from a friend's car going to the junkyard and install it (without reinstalling the speedo/odo cable). He drove it for a bit and found a 389 for the goat instead.

The seller openly admits that it needs a restoration or a new top at least and he dosen't have time. He said that he'd hate to just sell the motor and trans and junk the rest as it's a "neat car". Owner also said that it is mechanically sound and a "good driver" that needs cosmetic attention. He just drives it anywhere and parks it under a tarp when it rains.

Seller was alledgedly offered $1200.00 for the motor/trans from someone in Ohio recently, but hates to see it parted. However, he said that if the guy had upped the offer a couple hundred he'd have let it go to him. He felt that if he'd taken the $1200.00, that the rest of the car would be worthless.

I'm planing to look at the car tomorrow, is there anything I should know to look for? What do you folks think about this car and it's value? I have a 1969 GTO and am the prior owner of an 1979 T/A and 1989 turbo T/A, so I know nothing about this type of Pontiac. I'm looking for a car that I can drive the doors off (and not worry about) and use the drivetrain and A/C components to restore my goat when it dies.

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated. Here's a pic...

Remember, anyone can urinate on the floor. Be a hero, defecate on the ceiling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	70_bonne.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	14972  

Old 08-03-2003, 01:17 AM

Hey folks.

I found an ad for a $2000.00 1970 Bonneville ragtop about five miles from my house yesterday. It's got a 120k+ on the original 455, a rebuilt turbo 400 trans from another car, PS, PB, non-functional ("needs charge") A/C, power top ("torn up") and power windows and seats.

Apparently there isn't a panel without some kind of dings, minor dents or surface rust. The trunk and floor pans have some 2" holes and probably plenty hidden rust. The car was originally some shade of green, but is now yellow.

I called today and the owner seemed pretty straight forward. He stated that he has 2 mid sixtees goats and had initially bought the car with a blown tranny for a engine donor. After deliberation, he decided to take a rebuilt trans from a friend's car going to the junkyard and install it (without reinstalling the speedo/odo cable). He drove it for a bit and found a 389 for the goat instead.

The seller openly admits that it needs a restoration or a new top at least and he dosen't have time. He said that he'd hate to just sell the motor and trans and junk the rest as it's a "neat car". Owner also said that it is mechanically sound and a "good driver" that needs cosmetic attention. He just drives it anywhere and parks it under a tarp when it rains.

Seller was alledgedly offered $1200.00 for the motor/trans from someone in Ohio recently, but hates to see it parted. However, he said that if the guy had upped the offer a couple hundred he'd have let it go to him. He felt that if he'd taken the $1200.00, that the rest of the car would be worthless.

I'm planing to look at the car tomorrow, is there anything I should know to look for? What do you folks think about this car and it's value? I have a 1969 GTO and am the prior owner of an 1979 T/A and 1989 turbo T/A, so I know nothing about this type of Pontiac. I'm looking for a car that I can drive the doors off (and not worry about) and use the drivetrain and A/C components to restore my goat when it dies.

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated. Here's a pic...

Old 08-03-2003, 12:48 PM

Sorry about double post in here and lobby. I wanted to hear from members who only post in the tech area. If you have anything to add and haven't done so in the lobby, please feel free. I need all the help I can get... Thanks again folks!

Old 08-03-2003, 08:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

sorry about the late reply. might want to check the frame directly behind the front wheels. due to access holes there they tend to collect a lot of road debris and rot. also check the trunk floor on the passenger side. the trunk seals leak and due to the combination of this and the exhaust on this side they tend to rust there. these are heavy cars , so check the front suspension out. other than that , these are excellent road cars , parts are realitively inexpensive due to a lack of interest in this year and model, many good deals an ebay for parts . if you need anything else , don't hesitate to ask, i have an extensive amount of catalogs, parts lists, manuals,parts sources etc. for these cars.

Old 08-04-2003, 10:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey 70cat you know where i can get a posi for my 74 grandville 2 dr?

Grandville464

2017, 74 firebird -3600 lbs (all bests) 1.33 60 ft, 6.314@108.39 9.950@134.32
M/T 275/60 ET SS Drag Radial

2023,(Pontiac 505) 1.27 60 ft, 5.97@112.86, 9.48@139.31.... 275/60 Radial Pro's
Old 08-04-2003, 12:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

not really , most of the salvage yards around here have closed. strangely enough it wasn't the government , but the owners getting too old to work them anymore. i'll keep my eyes peeled though. any idea what rearends will interchange ?

Old 08-04-2003, 06:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Grandville,
What gear ratio do you have in your MP series rear?

Old 08-04-2003, 07:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi I have a 2:93 ratio...so is that the rearend i have then is the 8'7/8 mp series?

Grandville464

2017, 74 firebird -3600 lbs (all bests) 1.33 60 ft, 6.314@108.39 9.950@134.32
M/T 275/60 ET SS Drag Radial

2023,(Pontiac 505) 1.27 60 ft, 5.97@112.86, 9.48@139.31.... 275/60 Radial Pro's
Old 08-06-2003, 01:29 AM

Well, I finally got over to see the car last night... Here's what I saw:

1- The body is pretty bad. There is rust everywhere. The rust on the floor and trunk look somewhat like someone loaded a shotgun and blasted birdshot through the pans at a wide spread.

2- Car is covered in poorly applied old faded yellow paint. Every panel on the car has either dents or a series of moderate dings. Someone apparently tried teaching the school for the blind how to do bodywork on the quarters.

3- Various trim mangled and or missing.

4- Trunk lock cylinder is missing. Seller to include "New York Key" aka. large screwdriver.

5- Convertible top is shredded. Seller to include a tarp to cover interior during downpour whilst car is stationary.

6- Vehicle interior is covered in light dirt and mold because of aforementioned missing top.

7- I have yet to drive the car because seller didn't have time on this visit because of impending rainstorm and darkness.

8- Car seemed to start up with relative ease and idle well.

9- Car currently has salvage title, meaning that the car will be tainted in this state unless I go through time and expense of "cleaning" said title.

10- Owner seemed pretty firm on $1500, down from $2000. asking price.

11- Seller states that unrebuilt 455 engine (with 120,000 miles "give or take") is original to car. Trans is from another "big car" that was rebuilt before his friend decided to junk that car. No receipts.

12- Seller is of the opinion that these are starting to bring big money and how this car in condition mentioned above would bring about $3000 - $4000 at Carlisle. He is under the impression that the car would be worth $8000- $10,000 with "little work". Also mentioned that someone called him from Sweden regarding ad for car 20 minutes before my arrival. Guy also is sticking to his story about how "someone in Ohio" offered him $1200. for the engine/trans. He just didn't want to be "stuck with what's left".

In conclusion, I wanted this car for a cruiser until it dies/rusts through in a couple months/years. I saw the engine and A/C system as possible donors for my '69 GTO. The seller is a "pontiac guy" and initially bought the car with the hopes of taking the engine and parting the rest before he got the free trans and found another correct motor for his goat. I just don't know what to do. Can you folks offer any more suggestions or advice? Thank you to everyone who has helped me thus far!

[This message was edited by My Goat Ate It on August 06, 2003 at 04:56 AM.]

Old 08-06-2003, 04:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

the body is typical for these cars , including the trunk floor. funny because almost every one of these is missing the trunk lock cylinder , mine included! not a big deal to replace. fenders shouldn't be a problem to find , as they don't seem to rust that badly. doors and quarter panels are another story. have to hope to find good used ones. the body side trim is especially tough to find for these cars the rear wheel well chrome is also tough to find. top is not terribly expensive to replace if you can do it yourself. very labor intensive though if you are paying someone to do it. i paid $200.00 for my catalina in the same condition as you describe. check out old cars price guide online and see what the value is. if you point out the problems wirh the car and can give an estimate as to the cost involved to fix the problems , he might see that his price is unrealistic. either that or you will annoy him. at least you will know for sure where you stand.

Old 08-06-2003, 05:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Too much, it will return to the earth before he sells it. I hate parting these things out but, if its that bad, thats all its good for.

Old 08-06-2003, 05:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have bought more than my fair share of decomposing cars. This car has part me out written all over it. Unless you have a penchant for stripping cars and storing parts, pass on this one.

Old 08-18-2003, 12:09 PM

Thanks again for all the advice guys! I think I'll let this one be...

The cowards never started. The weak died on the way. Only the strong arrived.
They were pioneers.