Old 02-07-2010, 01:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting fix, I have never heard of it before but I would be inclined to try it and see if it works. Any pics available?

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 02-08-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCio1 View Post
I had the same problem. So I got a rebuilt one from the parts store. Same thing, I was told it was heat soak. I put a heat shield on the selinoid and wrapped the exhaust. It still did it a little but not as bad. But then the selinoid started to make a clicking sound, and the started was still suffering from the soak. I got a Powermaster for Christmas and installed it. No go, i was told by the "tech line"I probably have a larger flywheel then the unit was made for. I brought that back. Now I have orderedd the one from PY (GME131) the tech said it is built better then original with high torque and heat resistant and should fit like an original starter.
Whish me luck!
Installed. Drove the car few times and so far has worked great. Starts every time like it should. I did install the selinoid heat shield, with some modification the PY one is shorter then the stock size. Other then that no funny clicking noises and turns the engine as it should.

www.fquick.com/mikecio1
http://www.facebook.com/MikeCio1
Old 02-15-2010, 05:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So far I have heard of welding the starter case, Getting 0 gauge wires or trying several different mini-starters.

I have the same issue. Starts fine when cold and it just barley turns over when its hot. My cables are new (stock 4awg), every thing is set up like stock except the engine is a 455. The starter is the factory unit.

I was going to try the new starter or mini starter first and then try larger battery cable next. I hate spending this much money just to start a car.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:52 PM

As I posted above, mine was solved with a Ford Solenoid. I think the old harness has poor connections and high resistance at the firewall and many other connections. Running the Ford solenoid allows you to energize the solenoid with a new, bigger wire circuit from the battery. I had bought a mii starter thinking my other starter was at fault, but the problem surfaced again even after running a series of new dedicated ground wires.
Doug