The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 04-28-2024, 12:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Removing rust stains

What product/method is good for removing rust stains from painted surfaces? Have a few spots in the door jambs where these rust stains won't wash off.

Old 04-28-2024, 01:19 PM

We used to use Ospho, on the boats and barges, at work to remove rust stains back in the day. Like the rust streaks seen in the vertical white strip on the side of the barge. It worked well but got outlawed.

It may affect the shine on automotive paint so test it someplace hidden first. You can try diluting it too. Which we used to do when removing rust from vinyl logos on the equipment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180814_111106.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	632762  

Old 04-29-2024, 09:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 Pontiac View Post
What product/method is good for removing rust stains from painted surfaces? Have a few spots in the door jambs where these rust stains won't wash off.
What is the rust from? if its coming from underneath the paint, you cant really remove the stains as they are not just a surface type stain.

There are products for stains, Ive used one called "the must for rust", its a phosphoric acid liquid that you apply & leave on for 15-20 minutes & it chemically removes the rust, works on stains and heavier surface rust. There are others like rid-rust or even CLR that works on calcium/lime or rust stains.

Need to determine what the rust is from, a product might help or remove your stains but if its happening under the paint it will come back & eventually break through the paint.

Old 04-29-2024, 03:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think it's from a bolt head or washer, definitely not under the paint. I'm going to try the CLR and see what happens.

Old 04-29-2024, 04:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Get an aerosol can of Gibbs penetrating oil. It is mazing. STOPS rust and removes stains. I use it every year on any natural finishes on my cars. Guaranteed to work. I had to order my cans. No one sold it locally. GOOD STUFF.

"Bill"!