Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-09-2002, 08:24 PM

My friend bought a 77 Trans Am that needs "A Lot of work" (Guess who will have to do it??)Where is the "Best" place to buy front end parts?I want to re-build the whole front end (Upper/Lower ball joints,arm bushings,drag link + new springs / shocks etcs)I want to buy a "Kit"....I also need a fuel level gauge,as his dosen't work.I know that the tank sending unit is also bad,I saw them in year one for $119.00,is that to much?Where else can we get parts...Last,I think the engine is a 400,there is "WA" stamped on the block under the head on the left bank,is this a 400?It has a RPM intake,how is the "Q-Jet" carb from Edlbrook,what that be a Good choice for a street ride,(ie:cold starting,idle,gas mileage etc)I know there big bucks,but thats what the owner wants to get,we where told $500.00 new.The engine seems to have a cam in it,not sure how "big"Has a "Lope" to it..Also,car had a 4 speed,is that rare?We have the trans/bell housing etc to put 4 speed back.The trans "Looks" like the input shaft/main shaft have been "Hot'(Lack of lube)
Soooooo,we are not sure "How" much to get trans fixed....

89 LX 5.oh GT heads.Milled & home ported,"Explorer" upper & lower,re-located ACT,70 MM MAF, + 65 mm Throttle body,K&N,MSD 6AL,blaster coil
FRPP 9.mm wires Electric fan,Under drive pulleys,crane cam(lumpy!!)BBK 1 5/8 LTs,2.5 w/no cats + flow masters,3:73
Frame connectors,south side lift bars (I know,you wish you where me)
High Po add on chest$ 000.00
NOW TAKING DONATIONS

Old 10-09-2002, 08:24 PM

My friend bought a 77 Trans Am that needs "A Lot of work" (Guess who will have to do it??)Where is the "Best" place to buy front end parts?I want to re-build the whole front end (Upper/Lower ball joints,arm bushings,drag link + new springs / shocks etcs)I want to buy a "Kit"....I also need a fuel level gauge,as his dosen't work.I know that the tank sending unit is also bad,I saw them in year one for $119.00,is that to much?Where else can we get parts...Last,I think the engine is a 400,there is "WA" stamped on the block under the head on the left bank,is this a 400?It has a RPM intake,how is the "Q-Jet" carb from Edlbrook,what that be a Good choice for a street ride,(ie:cold starting,idle,gas mileage etc)I know there big bucks,but thats what the owner wants to get,we where told $500.00 new.The engine seems to have a cam in it,not sure how "big"Has a "Lope" to it..Also,car had a 4 speed,is that rare?We have the trans/bell housing etc to put 4 speed back.The trans "Looks" like the input shaft/main shaft have been "Hot'(Lack of lube)
Soooooo,we are not sure "How" much to get trans fixed....

89 LX 5.oh GT heads.Milled & home ported,"Explorer" upper & lower,re-located ACT,70 MM MAF, + 65 mm Throttle body,K&N,MSD 6AL,blaster coil
FRPP 9.mm wires Electric fan,Under drive pulleys,crane cam(lumpy!!)BBK 1 5/8 LTs,2.5 w/no cats + flow masters,3:73
NOW TAKING DONATIONS

Old 10-10-2002, 07:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Where to buy suspension rebuild kits? One can buy suspension rebuild kits from many of the biggees. PST for one. From my experience, if you want top quality, you blow off the cheap chinese stuff, & buy Moog or GM nos parts. Unfortunately, no kits, I know of in major catalogues for Moog, best to have an acct or other access (friend's acct) to really good price from good local autoparts store.

On the Performer RPM, it will not fit with the stock shaker w/o bolting it to the hood. Pontiac Dude offers a taller shaker (Dude scoop) & Bryan Blocker offers a special designed aircleaner base that allows the Performer RPM to be run with stock shaker top. Both are PY members & offer really nice product.

On the engine, WA is the '77 code for 4spd T/A engine. This was 200 net hp engine with crossflow rear muffler. The relatively low 200 hp figure is deceiving. Though designed for the W72 400, the factory cam for these were quite mild by earlier stds. W/o a cam card, hard to say what cam is in your buddy's engine. Many major metro areas will have a cam regrind operation, or top notch machine shop with a cam doctor. Either should be able to give you the specs of the cam. Before pursueing that, I would 1st pull the cam & lifters & look for cam lobe or lifter wear. If any exists, start fresh with new quality cam & lifters.

Different trains of thought on how big a cam to go with stock 6X-4 heads on late 70's T/A engine. Many will use one of the Extreme Energy Comp grinds to add cyl pressure with stock chamber size heads. With milled 6x-4's, another proven combo is the trusty RA4 cam with Rhodes lifters...will need 3.73's gears & slightly looser convertor. Many more even healthier build-ups utilizing ported milled 6x-4's or ported 67-70 big valve heads.

On the carb, I'd stick with the stock #17057263 ('77 400 4spd Q-jet) & have it properly set-up. If not, another '76-78 Pont 400 Q-jet. The stock Q-jet is an 800 cfm carb & is a much better carb for a Pontiac performance application than a $458 Edelbrock Q-jet. Having gone through the the reinstallation & tuning of an Edel Chevy Q-jet on a '78 T/A, I won't take on the job again. Just too easy with a well built correct linkage, correct fuel inlet late 70's Pontiac Q-jet. I'd ck out CliffR on the board for his expertese in a performance modified Q-jet or mods to your buddies carb. Well worth the the money for his mod's.

Would also step up for some decent 4 tube headers & a performance mandrel bent 2 1/2" exhaust system.

On the tranny, best to have someone look at it that knows what they are looking at. Good luck.

[This message was edited by ol' Pinion head on October 10, 2002 at 10:37 AM.]

Old 10-10-2002, 06:50 PM

Well,about the only thing done "Right" on the whole car was the exhaust system!Imean,it was a nice job,who every bent/fit it....Its atleast 2.5,
w/cross over and flow masters(Which I'd say are gonna go to get some hearing back!)It has some really low rear gear in it now...I'm not sure "What" gear...Some one had to put it in....About 4000 RPM @ 50-55 MPH!We may need to addersess the gear for street use...How about a standard rebuilt carb for it?I just went to day and got a whole "Front" wiring harness for it...
And("Gasp") I'm installing a Hi-Amp (130) Ford one wire 3G alt.(I finshed that,fit really good..)I guess your right about the front end parts...What about the company Performance suspension technology,that is PST,right?They sell a "Kit" for $219.00.Do they have good stuff?
Thanks for the help...Gotta get to bed,Its "The Worlds Fastest Street Car Shoot Out" starting in the morning! Talk @ you guys later!

NOW TAKING DONATIONS