Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-09-2002, 01:27 PM
Senior Chief

69 350 2bbl FB Rag Top 350 THM matching numbers with 90,000 miles on it - tired & abused before I got it 3 years ago. Snow is less than 2 months away and I've got some choices to make before I put her away & would appreciate some advice. Fun to drive - runs a bit rough - burns a bit of oil - burns a bit too much gas - gas cost is not an issue. I can pay some one to pull the heads, maybe do the rings, change the original valves, maybe port & polish it. In addition, put a factory 67 GTO 4 bbl rochestor set up on it (donated by a friend) or buy an Aluminum one. Some friends of mine said - don't touch it - pull it & drop in a fresh motor. If I ever sell the car, I'll still have the original motor - but will have to store it. The car is not a racer, just a fair weather cruiser - any thoughts?

Wally

Old 10-09-2002, 01:27 PM
Senior Chief

69 350 2bbl FB Rag Top 350 THM matching numbers with 90,000 miles on it - tired & abused before I got it 3 years ago. Snow is less than 2 months away and I've got some choices to make before I put her away & would appreciate some advice. Fun to drive - runs a bit rough - burns a bit of oil - burns a bit too much gas - gas cost is not an issue. I can pay some one to pull the heads, maybe do the rings, change the original valves, maybe port & polish it. In addition, put a factory 67 GTO 4 bbl rochestor set up on it (donated by a friend) or buy an Aluminum one. Some friends of mine said - don't touch it - pull it & drop in a fresh motor. If I ever sell the car, I'll still have the original motor - but will have to store it. The car is not a racer, just a fair weather cruiser - any thoughts?

Wally

Old 10-09-2002, 01:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

4 5 5 Turbo 4 0 0

http://kurtspontiac.homestead.com/DavidJones69GTO.html

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 10-09-2002, 02:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 428GTO70

Id have to agree, my first car was a 71 lemans t-37 with a 350 2 barrel. I dumped some money into it new rings and such, 4 barrel carb, edelbrock intake and cam. I never was really happy with its performance. Now I have a 69 428 in my 70 GTO and It is way more fun. Not many people are fans of the pontiac 350, and i gotta say I am on that list. Its just nice the fact that a 455 will drop in directly where the 350 was with no modifications. Except I would get a turbo 400 to put behind it though. Good Luck!

GR-RRR!

1970 GTO 458 CID .040 over 4 Bolt 428 Block, Forged Eagle 455 Crank, 295 CFM SD KRE D-Ports, SD Old Faithful HR Cam + Comp HR Lifters, PPR Maxx-lite rods, Racetec pistons, PRW 1.65 SS Rockers, 900CFM Holley HP TBI, Performer RPM, Hooker Super Comps, 3" X-Pipe into 2.5" mufflers/tailpipes, 2.75 1st TH400, Continental 13" Converter, 8.5" 3.08 Posi.
Everything installed, fired up and tuning has begun!
Old 10-09-2002, 04:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My 69 bird came also with the 350 2bbl.
I still wish I could have had room to keep that motor.
Matching numbers didn't mean beans to me, since I have no future plans of selling the car.
I also opted to install a 428 motor that I happened to get from Bigunde.
Before I pulled the 350 though.
I installed a Summit cam, headers, and 4bbl. on the car.
Tons of fun, and good torque for a 350.
Ran it for about 5,000 miles before it finally gave up the ghost.
Of course by that time it had something like 185,000 miles without ever being rebuilt.
So there's something to be said about the lowley 350 Pontiac.
If I had it to do all over again?
I might just have had the 350 built and ran it.
But then again the 428 is a ton of fun [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Old 10-09-2002, 06:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was not very happy with 2 BBL 350 in my 68 FB. I managed to find a 455 (getting rare up here), put in a Crane hydraulic roller cam, and couldn't believe the difference. Good idle, good vacuum, and pulls like a train with stock 2.78 gears. I would never go back.

Old 10-09-2002, 06:31 PM
Senior Chief

There is no replacement for displacement! Having said that, I had a 68' LeMans convertible with the 350 2bbl and a four speed. It had 3.90 gears and headers/dual exhaust as well. That was one of the most fun cars I ever had. It was reasonabley quick, would burn the tires (well...um, tire) as long as I wanted to stay in the throttle and it pulled down 22-23 mpg (on pump gas!). I always wanted to install a 4bbl and a cam just to see what it would do. It ran as good as any of the 389's I currently have.

Brakes?! We don't need no stinking brakes!

http://motornoggin.smugmug.com/
Old 10-09-2002, 09:39 PM

Send a message via MSN to spamburger17

factory, that 350 2bbl has about 355 ft/lbs torque. I put a summit 2800 and got a good rise in overall power through rpms. a matching 4bbl/intake should work fine, im boltin up a performer right now. before i had the intake, i had a mismatched holley intake(it was only $20, lol) and itd still get my '68 movin.

anybody want a holley street dominator intake, $20.00

Old 10-09-2002, 10:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

spamburger, I'll take that Holley off your hands. You will have E-mail soon.

As for the question at hand - it will cost the same relative amount of money to fix up the 350 as it would to do the same things to a larger engine which will perform better when your done. If you're going to rebuild heads and have them ported and hone the block and put in new rings & bearings & etc. etc. then spend the money on a 400 or larger engine and keep the 350 in place and untouched until the other engine is done. You will be money and ft-lbs of torque ahead.

About the only thing you could do to the 350 now is to put a good intake, carb and headers on it. That stuff will all swap onto whatever larger engine you get for it and will probably help the 350 perform a little better. I'd only do this if it has good compression though, otherwise just wait 'til the new engine's done.