Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-07-2002, 07:30 AM

How's it going?

I'm gonna rebuild my 8.5 rear and needed some input on replacement axles. I have an 80' TA with factory rear disc, I'd like to keep the setup and was wondering if anyone made replacement performance axles my setup?

Thanks Again

Old 10-07-2002, 07:30 AM

How's it going?

I'm gonna rebuild my 8.5 rear and needed some input on replacement axles. I have an 80' TA with factory rear disc, I'd like to keep the setup and was wondering if anyone made replacement performance axles my setup?

Thanks Again

Old 10-07-2002, 09:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

have you tried moser? they make 'em.
several years back i installed a pair, on a SD clone T/A that i built. bought them with C-clip eliminators. however with a rear disc car, the eliminators wouldn't be required as the disc itself(with caliper) would retain the axle if it were to break.

Old 10-07-2002, 07:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Moser C-clips will fit. I've found that the disc brake axles and the drum brake axles are the same length, etc. The only difference I've found is the hub that fits through the hole in the rim is slightly larger in diameter, and protrudes into the rim a little farther than the drum axle.

Old 10-08-2002, 02:05 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Brian,
Ironic that you posted that response, because today I am having the disk brake rear axle installed, which I purchased from you. your statement of "The only difference I've found is the hub that fits through the hole in the rim is slightly larger in diameter, and protrudes into the rim a little farther than the drum axle" concerns me. Does this mean I will have problems with my stock snowflakes (15 x 7 or 15 x 8) fitting onto the axle hub? I quesss my question to you is; is the diameter of the "hub hole" the same on all stock snowflake rims, regardless of whether they were mounted on a factory disk brake rear axle or a factory drum brake rear axle? I can only imagine "ALL" the snowlakes would fit, no matter which type of factory axle you have (disk or drum). I wasn't sure if your quote was Moser specific.

db

PS- are your WS6 sway bars still for sale????

Making a living is not the same thing as making a life!!

Old 10-08-2002, 07:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Moser makes them slightly different when you order if you tell them it is for the factory rear discs. I think the flange itself is a different diameter than their normal axles, that's what they told me. Mine fit fine in the discs but haven't installed the rear in the car to test fit wheels yet. I can try to slide a snowflake on tonight.

One thing to think of if you do alot of cornering or street driving is using the weld on axle ends from Moser as they take a taperd instead fo ball bearing. Takes side loads better.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 10-11-2002, 08:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok , in looking at my axles teh pilot only sticks out of the disc 0.100, total height 0.370, and has a chamfer so I doubt it even engages the wheel. In calling Moser they say it is only there to locate the disc/drum and some race cars it is milled completely off. (??)The Snowflakes are definitely not a problem.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs