Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-11-2002, 01:26 PM
Senior Chief

Another question for people who know cars :-P I like to post questions like these to see if my idea's are even possible.

I have a 1968 Pontiac Firebird 350HO (Possibly a 400 if I can find one). (Currently a Powerglide) with 3.08 peg leg rear.

I want to get a tranny (manual, even though it will cost a fortune to convert I bet) that will roughly match a Dodge Vipers (Ya, high hopes here) or any other good sports car of today (Firehawk?).
<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
Vipers: Mine
1) 2.66:1 | ?
2) 1.78:1 | ?
3) 1.30:1 | ?
4) 1.00:1 | ?
5) 0.74:1 | ?
6) 0.50:1 | ?
R) 2.90:1 | ?
Rear End: LSD 3.07:1 | 3:08:1
Overall: 1.54 | ?
</pre>

Reverse isn't a big deal to me, and I have no clue what the Overall means if someone could please explain to me I'd be greatful.

I'd rather have restored the car to stock but the engine chasis and tranny don't match. All 3 different (They match what the chasis originall came with spec wise just not the numbers).

If you would also have any clue what this type of change would cost it would be nice. I got quoted $7,000 (CAN) to convert to a 4 speed muncie.

Thanks again for anyone who can help, I got the idea from: http://www.popularhotrodding.com/fea...5phr_chargerb/

Tyler

PS I'm also a web designer so if anyone wants a website (free) just ask as I have a lot of free time right now (student).

Old 10-11-2002, 01:26 PM
Senior Chief

Another question for people who know cars :-P I like to post questions like these to see if my idea's are even possible.

I have a 1968 Pontiac Firebird 350HO (Possibly a 400 if I can find one). (Currently a Powerglide) with 3.08 peg leg rear.

I want to get a tranny (manual, even though it will cost a fortune to convert I bet) that will roughly match a Dodge Vipers (Ya, high hopes here) or any other good sports car of today (Firehawk?).
<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
Vipers: Mine
1) 2.66:1 | ?
2) 1.78:1 | ?
3) 1.30:1 | ?
4) 1.00:1 | ?
5) 0.74:1 | ?
6) 0.50:1 | ?
R) 2.90:1 | ?
Rear End: LSD 3.07:1 | 3:08:1
Overall: 1.54 | ?
</pre>

Reverse isn't a big deal to me, and I have no clue what the Overall means if someone could please explain to me I'd be greatful.

I'd rather have restored the car to stock but the engine chasis and tranny don't match. All 3 different (They match what the chasis originall came with spec wise just not the numbers).

If you would also have any clue what this type of change would cost it would be nice. I got quoted $7,000 (CAN) to convert to a 4 speed muncie.

Thanks again for anyone who can help, I got the idea from: http://www.popularhotrodding.com/fea...5phr_chargerb/

Tyler

PS I'm also a web designer so if anyone wants a website (free) just ask as I have a lot of free time right now (student).

Old 10-11-2002, 02:38 PM
Senior Chief

Would it be possible make it a "Tremec T56 6-speed Manual" from a new Firebird? I did a little research on my own (hoping the internet is correct here heh) and it seems like it would be a good transmission for a little bit of street racing as well as some drag racing.

1) 2.97
2) 2.07
3) 1.43
4) 1.00
5) 0.80
6) 0.62
R) 3.28

These specs are from a Cobra R, but they seem exactly what I need. Would this work well with a 3.08 rear? Thanks again.

Tyler

Old 10-11-2002, 03:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tyler, your stick conversion from a late model car would be possible except for a few facts.

Late-model cars using the "corporate" motor have a different bellhousing than our beloved Pontiacs. Pontiac enjoys a B-O-P bellhousing bolt pattern. B-O-P signifies Buick, Olds, and Pontiac. Certain trannys will fit if an adaptor plate is used to mate the non PMD pattern to the original style bolt pattern.

As to a simple auto to stick swap, it's do-able and many have done it. $7,000 Canadian sounds a bit steep to me though. The hard part is finding a "donor car" to strip the goodies out of. Once you have the donor car, you can literally take everything you need and start putting it on yours.

Other concerns are: Driveshaft length, floor pan interference, etc.

Good luck, -Matt

I work in high speed aluminum tubing

Old 10-11-2002, 05:51 PM
Senior Chief

An easier way to go would be the Richmond ROD six speed. It will accept a stock mechanicl clutch linkage and will bolt up to any stock GM clutch and bell housing. You can also order what gear ratio's you want. They are very stout and shift nicely. A friend of mine has one in a 70 GTO with a 570hp E.F.I. big block chevy.

Brakes?! We don't need no stinking brakes!

http://motornoggin.smugmug.com/
Old 10-11-2002, 07:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

take look at the Tremic TKO or TKO II,they are made in a GM version,around $2000 US.They are a 5 speed OD with a couple diff ODs avail.They shift much better than the Richmond and will handle around 500lb TQ.Tom

Old 10-11-2002, 07:25 PM
Senior Chief

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>take look at the Tremic TKO or TKO II,they are made in a GM version,around $2000 US.They are a 5 speed OD with a couple diff ODs avail.They shift much better than the Richmond and will handle around 500lb TQ.Tom<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The sad part is that 2000 in Canadian is 3200, which is what I was going to get charged for a 4 Speed Muncie ($3550).

I guess I should check is how much would a mechanic charge to install this into my car? (As I have only basic car knowledge like changing oil. I can take apart and put together, but changing or adding is too hard for me).

Tyler

Old 10-11-2002, 07:41 PM

Do it yourself. It's a fairly low tech job. I did a 60 pontiac when I was 16 years old with no experience. Lots of people on the boards will talk you through it. You shoould be able to put it together for under 1500.00 can using a muncie 4 speed.

Old 10-11-2002, 07:55 PM
Senior Chief

Well um, does anyone here think they can give me basic enough instructions on converting from a 2-Speed Auto (Pontiac) to a 4 speed Hurst/Muncie combo? If so I would love to print it off and keep it in my room until January when I plan on getting the tranny.

Tyler

Old 10-11-2002, 08:20 PM

Im no expert but most of the effort will be in the scrounging. First advertise on the boards for the pedals /linkage from a standard 68. Try some of the wreckers like Franks Pontiacs also - he's a pretty good source. Once you get them you'll need to get a bell housing, flywheell. The end of your crank will need a pilot bushing for the input shaft on the tanny. When you get a clutch/pressure plate make sure the spline count is the same as the tranny inout shaft. There are 2 pontiac thoughout bearings available - long and short. It might take trail and error to see which is right for your your fork / pressure plate. I dont know if you'll have to chage the yoke on the driveshaft for the tranny output. You may have to have the drive shaft shotened and balanced - locate everthing and do a trial fit. Like I say, its mostly a wrenching job. Others will give you finer details as its been a while.

Old 10-12-2002, 08:54 AM

I put the Tremec TKO in a 4 speed TA for under 2000 US. The hard part for you is going to be finding the manual trans parts. Its best if you can find a complete donor car. For my application I had to change the trans hump sheet matel and move the crossmember back and shorten the driveshaft. Get it set up with the 350 first then build the 400/455.

Old 10-12-2002, 09:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Tyler,another way to go to get rid of all the clutch linkage is a hyd throwout bearing.I have that setup with my TKO.You will need a flywheel and bellhousing and pedal setup.There will be a master cyc on the firewall that hooks to the clutch pedal and a hyd line going to the bearing.It has been in my car for almost 5 years and never been touched.You can do the whole deal your self.Tom

Old 10-12-2002, 11:11 PM
Senior Chief

"Tremec TKO in a 4 speed TA for under 2000 US"

I know mine is lame and I should go for an original tranny but I really like the idea of a 6 speed. If I had a numbers matching car I wouldn't change it, but they don't so I want to make it different, and I think getting a 6 speed and modding up a core 400 (which I learned off this bored heh) seems like the best I could do.

I really don't want my car only for drag (as it is my only car), I want to be able to do a moderate drag time 12-13 nothing great as well as having a quite high top end (around 166-170mph) and I am thinking (Correct me if I'm wrong before I get too hopeful) that this 6 speed with a modded 400 has the potential for this.

Basically I want a modern day sports car with the look of an old classic :-) (Because Muscle cars just look cool).

Tyler