Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-10-2002, 04:33 PM

I've got my 455 ready to go into my 1972 LeMans. It still has the 400 in it with a turbo 400 tranny. So first I'll pop the 400, then drop in the 455. I'm reusing all the brackets, hoses, and linkage from the 400, so it should be pretty straight forward.

I've changed motors with my dad before, but it's been a long time. I've been going over it, and I think I have most of it sorted out. There is just one thing that conscerns me.

How should I disconnect the torque converter from the flexplate? It seems like it would be difficult to remove the 3 bolts with the tranny still snugged up against the engine. If I pull the engine forward, the torque converter will come with it. Will I lose tranny fluid all over the place after I pull the engine away from the tranny? Do I just pop the torque converter off with the engine and then unbolt it and put it on the new engine?

What do you guys think is the best aproach for disconnecting the engine from the tranny and torque converter?

Thanks,
Jason

1965 GTO 4brl/4spd

Hi, my name is Jason . . . and I'm a Pontiholic!
Old 10-10-2002, 04:33 PM

I've got my 455 ready to go into my 1972 LeMans. It still has the 400 in it with a turbo 400 tranny. So first I'll pop the 400, then drop in the 455. I'm reusing all the brackets, hoses, and linkage from the 400, so it should be pretty straight forward.

I've changed motors with my dad before, but it's been a long time. I've been going over it, and I think I have most of it sorted out. There is just one thing that conscerns me.

How should I disconnect the torque converter from the flexplate? It seems like it would be difficult to remove the 3 bolts with the tranny still snugged up against the engine. If I pull the engine forward, the torque converter will come with it. Will I lose tranny fluid all over the place after I pull the engine away from the tranny? Do I just pop the torque converter off with the engine and then unbolt it and put it on the new engine?

What do you guys think is the best aproach for disconnecting the engine from the tranny and torque converter?

Thanks,
Jason

1965 GTO 4brl/4spd

Hi, my name is Jason . . . and I'm a Pontiholic!
Old 10-10-2002, 04:52 PM

It isn't too bad. I just did this. Pull the spark plugs and remove the belts. Pull the radiator. Then have someone up top turn the engine with a half inch drive 1 1/16 socket with 6"extension and breaker bar. Have him turn engine, via the harmonic balancer bolt, until you have access with box-end wrench (11/16 I think). Be sure to have the trans supported before you pull the engine. Ask me how I know. Good luck!

Old 10-10-2002, 04:54 PM

Oh yeah. You DO NOT want to pull the t/c with the engine. Besides the fluid torrent you would have, you will ruin the seal.

Old 10-10-2002, 05:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Big screwdriver wedged against the bellhousing, and into the ring gear makes it a snap to remove the converter bolts. An offset wrench also works well so you don't slip off and lose a limb [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img].

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams

Right and wrong doesn't need facts all the time.
-Lighthouseman ("lawyer")

Starnes Performance Automatics
www.Starnesperformance.com
Old 10-10-2002, 06:51 PM
Senior Chief

A couple of other notes: With the engine OUT, Now is the time to REPLACE the front seal on the trans, you will loose some fluid but it is easier to replace seal now than pull the trans later. Once you replace Ft. seal or remove motor, tie a rope from the top hole in bell housing, go under converter and back to top hole on other side to take some if the weight off the seal, you should do this even if you do not decide to change the seal. Remove rope just before you are going to re install new motor.

Old 10-10-2002, 07:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have always pulled the engine and trans out together as a unit. For me it's easier. I have a devive that goes between the engine and the hoist. It has four chains on it and a handle to control the tilt on the motor. The chains hook to the cylinder heads and there is a loop for the hook on the hoist. If you use this method make sure you either drain the trans or plug it first. I use an actual yoke from an old driveshaft as a plug. It is easier to remove the torque converter bolts before you pull the engine. It's a piece of cake as you can control the tilt all the way out and back in without having a wrestling match with the engine. Double check and triple check that you have everything disconnected before you start pulling on it. I find it much easier to remove and install the engine to the trans by supporting the trans on a platform a few inches off the ground and holding the engine suspended by the hoist with just the right tilt. It works for me trouble free

Tim C

65 LeMans 11.06@121

Old 10-10-2002, 08:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 428GTO70

You can turn the engine over by turning the converter bolts with a wrench, get the bolt you want to remove in a spot where you can get to the other one also, then wedge a large screwdriver like somebody else said, and remove bolt. then go to next bolt and turn engine over with wrench until you can get to the next one again after this one is out. Do this in the reverse upon reinstall to get the bolts good and tight too. For leverage, slip another box end wrench over the open end of the wrench you are using, it will kinda lock on the other one and really puts some torque into it.

GR-RRR!

1970 GTO 458 CID .040 over 4 Bolt 428 Block, Forged Eagle 455 Crank, 295 CFM SD KRE D-Ports, SD Old Faithful HR Cam + Comp HR Lifters, PPR Maxx-lite rods, Racetec pistons, PRW 1.65 SS Rockers, 900CFM Holley HP TBI, Performer RPM, Hooker Super Comps, 3" X-Pipe into 2.5" mufflers/tailpipes, 2.75 1st TH400, Continental 13" Converter, 8.5" 3.08 Posi.
Everything installed, fired up and tuning has begun!