Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-06-2002, 05:39 AM
Senior Chief

should be shot. Topic was to help my 455 pass the sniffer,someone said to put a whole gallon of washer fluid in a 1/4 tank,the methenal would help the sniffer,"IT WORKS!!!" I did so,almost instantly the damned thing wouldn't run. figured I would dilute the remaining contents of the tank,with 4 trips to the gas station with a 2 gallon can,got it enough to where I could drive it 2 days ago,went to the gas station filled it up. Put 2 cans of dry gas in it,got up this morning to take it to the track,and it won't stay running. Last day at the track,can't go. Lesson learned. Don't use someone else's advice,unless they have been there,done that. leave the half assed philosophys' to Socrates. (God I hope my spelling is correct)

Old 10-06-2002, 05:39 AM
Senior Chief

should be shot. Topic was to help my 455 pass the sniffer,someone said to put a whole gallon of washer fluid in a 1/4 tank,the methenal would help the sniffer,"IT WORKS!!!" I did so,almost instantly the damned thing wouldn't run. figured I would dilute the remaining contents of the tank,with 4 trips to the gas station with a 2 gallon can,got it enough to where I could drive it 2 days ago,went to the gas station filled it up. Put 2 cans of dry gas in it,got up this morning to take it to the track,and it won't stay running. Last day at the track,can't go. Lesson learned. Don't use someone else's advice,unless they have been there,done that. leave the half assed philosophys' to Socrates. (God I hope my spelling is correct)

Old 10-06-2002, 05:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

And you said I got the wool pulled over my eyes, hahahahaha.

Old 10-06-2002, 06:10 AM
Boost Engineer

Charles,

I think very shortly you will be replacing EVERY rubber part in your fuel line system and the fuel
pump and all of the carburetor guts. Alcohol and
methanol are like death for normal fuel systems.

Oh! I forgot the fuel sock in the tank. I got some alcohol mixed with gas one time in my tank
and it melted the fuel sock and screwed the carb and fuel pump big time. To quote you: Been there
done that. Have fun!

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 10-06-2002, 08:08 AM
Senior Chief

The problem you are having with the windshield washer fluid is the fact that it is mostly WATER! The water is causing your no-run problems. You have to drain the tank and fuel system to get rid of it. After you do that, pour in a couple bottles of fuel dryer (iso, etho, or metho, alcahol) and re-fill with fuel. This should cure your problems. I really don't think you caused any other harm and you should not need to replace any lines or seals. Windhshield washer fluid? Now I HAVE heard everything!

Brakes?! We don't need no stinking brakes!

http://motornoggin.smugmug.com/
Old 10-06-2002, 08:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cpertice this is just another reason Not to got out drinking on Saturday night. 700+ posts Why didnt you ask us first. I appreciate your honesty and the ability to confess to your friends here. This sounds like another one I heard. I have a friend who wanted his car to be louder. Not me. But I will call him Bob anyway. Advise given get car up to normal engine temp and then run a garden hose up the exhaust and when the cold water hits the hot metal it will disintegrate the internals of the muffler. This sounded good to me I mean my friend Bob so he tried it. Mufflers did not get louder but the cracked head made it crack and pop some. Bob and I searched for weeks for another double hump Chevy head for a 64 Chevy and finally found one at an exuberant price. I uh I mean Bob paid for it and installed it never to try another wives tail again.

Old 10-06-2002, 09:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I remebmer years ago hearing that for cleaning the inside of the engine or for a sicky lifter run kerosene instead of oil in the crankcase for a few minutes as it is a light oil. Never thought I'd try that one.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 10-06-2002, 10:30 AM
Senior Chief

I did put one gallon of racing alcohol to 1/2 tank of gas for an old Nova that wouldnt pass. Drove right through E-check

Old 10-06-2002, 12:55 PM
Senior Chief

Cpertice, After you drain tank and line, Don't forget to pull off top of carb and clean out fuel bowl. The water will lay on the bottom of the carb even if you run it dry! Clean tank, line and carb BEFORE you refill fuel. If for any reason the motor still does not run as it should,This will have eliminated any chance of water being in the system.

Old 10-06-2002, 09:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to Bud Lyons

My Grandfather used to run cleaner for an oil burner thru his engine. Drive it for a day then change the oil. I don't remember him ever having a problem with it.

My Rig's a little old, but that don't mean she's slow.

Only two defining forces have ever offered their life for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
One for your soul; the other for your freedom
Old 10-07-2002, 05:50 PM

Windshield has very little methanol, like 5%, the rest being water. You have a gallon of water in your fuel tank, which must be drained. That small of a concentration of methanol for that short of time will not destroy your rubber.

What really works to pass a sniffer type test is a gallon of anhydrous isopropyl alchol (meaning on water, rubbing alcohol off the supermarket shelf has water, so is a no-no). Iso-Heat is one brand. Works great. Windshield washer fluid. Good Lord!

Old 10-07-2002, 07:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

He won't be happy 'til he blows up this 455 too [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I suspect whomever told you this never tried it. Alot of "hearsay" advise flying around as gospel.

Old 10-07-2002, 07:38 PM
Senior Chief

Sad part is this advise came from this board! I suspect that the person posting didn't mean for him to use washer fluid just the methanol that is in it!!!!! Everything should be fine if you drain the tank Chalie!!!! All things will work out, you live and laern from your mistakes!!!! Let us know if you need a hand! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-08-2002, 06:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

bull! Show me the thread from this site that even comes close to recommending washer fluid in the gas tank.

I've been all over this board and...

Sold 2003: 12.00/112MPH/1.61 60'/26"x3.31:1/10"/469 #48/245-255-110LSA/Q-Jet-Torker/3650Lbs//18MPG 94oct
Sold 1994: 11.00/123MPH/1.50 60'/29.5"x4.10:1/10"/469 #48/245-255-110LSA/Dual600s-Wenzler/3250Lbs//94oct
Old 10-09-2002, 11:36 PM

Don't EVER put anything but gasoline in you GAS tank. Don't EVER put anything but Oil in your engine. Take it from an engineer, anything else is a gimmick or rip off. At best nothing will happen, at worst you'll ruin something.