Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-10-2002, 07:02 PM

A couple of years ago my dad bought me a 79 TA which originally came with a 403 olds in it, but the person he bought it from had swapped out the engine for a pontiac 400. Now that im turning 18, i'm finally going to be able to build up my car for some racing at our drag strip here in Vegas, but I soon realized I had no clue what engine was in it besides it was a pontiac 400 bored .030 over. After doing some decoding i have found that it is a 1972 YX code engine with 7j2 heads originally rated at 200hp. My question is... What car did this engine originally come from? and are these heads any good? Any info. would be appreciated.

Old 10-10-2002, 07:02 PM

A couple of years ago my dad bought me a 79 TA which originally came with a 403 olds in it, but the person he bought it from had swapped out the engine for a pontiac 400. Now that im turning 18, i'm finally going to be able to build up my car for some racing at our drag strip here in Vegas, but I soon realized I had no clue what engine was in it besides it was a pontiac 400 bored .030 over. After doing some decoding i have found that it is a 1972 YX code engine with 7j2 heads originally rated at 200hp. My question is... What car did this engine originally come from? and are these heads any good? Any info. would be appreciated.

Old 10-10-2002, 09:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In '72 there were only two versions of the 400 produced. One with a 4bbl carb and one with a 2bbl. The 4bbl used 7K3 heads, the 2bbl used 7J2. Both have approximately 8.2:1 compression. The 7J2 heads have small 1.96/1.66" valves and pressed studs. They are also missing the provisions for the end exhaust bolt holes.

In short, they'll make good doorstops until the day comes when big valve heads are in such short supply that even castings like the 7J2 are worth investing the time and effort to convert to large valves and screw-in studs AND brazing on the material to the end of the heads so that exhaust bolt holes can be drilled and tapped.

As to what car it came out of, my '72 Service manual indicates it could've been a full-size like a Bonnie or a wagon, a mid-size "A" body like a LeMans or Tempest, or an F-body (Firebird), all with automatic tranny. Frankly, it doesn't really matter from a performance standpoint.

Old 10-10-2002, 11:33 PM

Thanks for the reply and info will. I guess i will be looking into buying some 6X heads or trying to get a pair of Edelbrock heads from my dad for my birthday coming up...or maybe a graduation present(I wish!)

Old 10-11-2002, 11:28 PM

Send a message via MSN to spamburger17

Edelbrocks RPM heads are modeled after the RAIV heads, something to think about. According to edelbrock, a 400 w/ the heads, rpm cam, rpm intake, 750cfm carb, and street headers, itll make about 440ft/lbs, 422hp, with a nice broad torque band.

Old 10-11-2002, 11:28 PM

Send a message via MSN to spamburger17

Edelbrocks RPM heads are modeled after the RAIV heads, something to think about. According to edelbrock, a 400 w/ the heads, rpm cam, rpm intake, 750cfm carb, and street headers, itll make about 440ft/lbs, 422hp, with a nice broad torque band.