Old 04-06-2005, 01:49 AM

Send a message via MSN to Smoking Tires

Well i am soon going to be buying a 72 lemans luxury.

Its green but looks as though white was the original colour, it has luxury badges.
what else rectifys that its a luxury? trim? etc

also has a sbc 350. I do not know if its factory but i belive that means its canadian built?

it also has a mint interior , black/ brown velvet. buckets/ column shift. did they come factory this way?

i should have pictures of it this weekend. He also has a 69 gto which i belive to be a judge sitting int he barn accross from where the lemans sits.

the owner was a teenager when he owned and worked ont hese, then moved to ontario and has never come back and probally never will.

no one knows about these cars, they are located close to vancouver bc just down from my house in a barn.
I was wondering if anyone had production information on the lemans luxury and if i grabbed the trim tag and vin info would you guys be bale to decode it for me?

where should i look for rust, as it has a bit of body rust i haven't looked underneath yet.

for 2500 cdn i can't complain, he told me paid 2000 for it well over 10 years ago

the judge hes not selling to me... YET! i imagine to own it one day

im selling my 1980 malibu with a 355 to get this car! its been my dream car for awhile and im so happy hes finally selling it.

I don't think the value is their for meto full restore it so im going big block with it and it will be a stock appearing/sounding 11 second car

Thanks for all your help and look forward to discussing these AWSOME ponchos!

going to be a fun cruiser, ready for summer 2009 with a small block chev, while I fully rebuild the 455
Old 04-06-2005, 01:49 AM

Well i am soon going to be buying a 72 lemans luxury.

Its green but looks as though white was the original colour, it has luxury badges.
what else rectifys that its a luxury? trim? etc

also has a sbc 350. I do not know if its factory but i belive that means its canadian built?

it also has a mint interior , black/ brown velvet. buckets/ column shift. did they come factory this way?

i should have pictures of it this weekend. He also has a 69 gto which i belive to be a judge sitting int he barn accross from where the lemans sits.

the owner was a teenager when he owned and worked ont hese, then moved to ontario and has never come back and probally never will.

no one knows about these cars, they are located close to vancouver bc just down from my house in a barn.
I was wondering if anyone had production information on the lemans luxury and if i grabbed the trim tag and vin info would you guys be bale to decode it for me?

where should i look for rust, as it has a bit of body rust i haven't looked underneath yet.

for 2500 cdn i can't complain, he told me paid 2000 for it well over 10 years ago

the judge hes not selling to me... YET! i imagine to own it one day

im selling my 1980 malibu with a 355 to get this car! its been my dream car for awhile and im so happy hes finally selling it.

I don't think the value is their for meto full restore it so im going big block with it and it will be a stock appearing/sounding 11 second car

Thanks for all your help and look forward to discussing these AWSOME ponchos!

going to be a fun cruiser, ready for summer 2009 with a small block chev, while I fully rebuild the 455
Old 04-06-2005, 09:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Welcome to PY. Hope you enjoy your time here.

'72 was the first year of Luxury LeMans. It was a model of its own. Most of the items that were standard on the LLM were optional on LeMans. The most distinguishing characteristic of the LLM were the standard skirts. Optional on others but not standard on any other Pontiac A body. Most of the rest were trim options.

It should have come with a Pontiac engine as in about '70 the Canadian Pontiac (Chevelle w/Pontiac trim called the Beaumont for A bodies) went away and genuine, full blown Pontiacs came on line. Others here can fill in better. Buckets were optional as notchback bench was standard.

You will find here no reference to big or small block engines as all Pontiac's with the exception of the 265/301 series, have the same outside dimentions and weigh within 15 lbs. (6.75 kg) of each other. That sb or bb stuff is for the non traditional Pontiac community. The Pontiac engine falls into 2 catagories. 400 cid and less are small journal cranks and 421 and up are large journal cranks. There are kits available to turn down a large journal and put it into a small journal block and have in the excess of 460 cid.

Many parts are interchangable especially after the '65's. Plenty of people to help here.

Here is a couple of web sites you may want to go to also as one is in Vancouver and the other is the GTO club in WA.

Can't find SD (Super Duty) Performance of Vancouver, BC.

http://www.northwestlegends.com

Here is an engine/vehicle decoding site.

http://www.wallaceracing.com

Again welcome.

Old 04-06-2005, 11:43 AM

thanks for your information, it looks as though he removed the side skirts( thank god)

im definatly not going with a pontiac motor in this one... maybe another car i will or maybe this car later iw ill but not for now

Old 04-06-2005, 11:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Welcome glad you are a Pontiac owner now.

I am looking at buying a 72 Luxury for some of the parts. If it has skirts I will list them on here for sale.

*SOLD * 1971 LeMans street car, 428ci TH350 3:31 12 bolt, 3880#,13.6 @ 101.82 Show & go

1964 Tempest work in progress 400 with Tremec 5 speed

1967 LeMans drop top project. I tracked down my great grand father & dad's old car.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:17 PM

not interested in buying the skirt as my fat tires will probally disagree with them, i also do not like the look... its going to the factory colour i hope thats white, does anyone have the paint chip picture available to the 72 lemans

and im not a owner...... YET give me a month or so

Old 04-06-2005, 03:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's one of 1634 built on Oshawa in '72,most likely came with SBC.

Old 04-06-2005, 06:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here is the site you need for paint chips.
http://www.autocolorlibrary.com/scri...gm=aclgate.bbx

*SOLD * 1971 LeMans street car, 428ci TH350 3:31 12 bolt, 3880#,13.6 @ 101.82 Show & go

1967 LeMans drop top project. I tracked down my great grand father & dad's old car.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:08 PM
Senior Chief

Welcome,

I also own a 72 Lux LeMans that will one day go back to the original appearance (except the fender skirts).

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Jeff Gordon Edition
2017 Dodge Challenger SXT Black Top Edition
Old 04-06-2005, 07:13 PM

cool can i see some pictures of yours, it looks to be the same colour mine was originally.. also id like to see some pics of your gauges

also what did the factory tach come in? gts? gtos etc? i am going to buy one eventually

Old 04-06-2005, 07:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Did the Luxury's have a chrome front vallance?
I found two today in a local salvage yard, 1 had a chrome one the other's was missing. I wish they would have not bent the chrome one. That was the first time I saw that.

Old 04-06-2005, 07:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Welcome aboard. Does this mean you will be giving up your G-body (is it a Malibu?) or are you going to be like me and start collecting cars?

Old 04-06-2005, 08:24 PM
Senior Chief

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Smoking Tires:
cool can i see some pictures of yours, it looks to be the same colour mine was originally.. also id like to see some pics of your gauges

also what did the factory tach come in? gts? gtos etc? i am going to buy one eventually </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you go to this website http://www.aliencarclub.com/members/bobh/member.htm

You'll see pics of the car and what it used to look like. The white on it now is just to hide the putty I think. I bought it this way.

Here should be a pic of my dash gauges.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	guages.JPG
Views:	319
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	4519  

Old 04-06-2005, 08:26 PM
Senior Chief

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lethal-428-lemans:
Did the Luxury's have a chrome front vallance?
I found two today in a local salvage yard, 1 had a chrome one the other's was missing. I wish they would have not bent the chrome one. That was the first time I saw that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have no clue. Mine does but I can't vouch for it's originality.

Old 04-06-2005, 08:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Is my Lemans strange it has a 140 speedo in the dash. Looks the same other than the clock.

Old 04-06-2005, 08:37 PM
Senior Chief

I thought the 140 speedo was an option on GTO's but they may have been one on any LeMans. I'm sure someone else knows.

Old 04-06-2005, 08:44 PM

ive compleatly lost interest int he 80s cars, i want a car with histroy, and that was in the era of power! im 19 turning 20 in 20 days exactly and i owned a 64 chev truck stepside and it was awsome, but needed to much work for me so i flipped it and compleatly regret it

the malibu has alot done to it

Old 04-06-2005, 10:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Chrome valance on all '72. Painted on '71. 140 mph speedo came in '71 only w/rally guages. Not sure on '72. Rear valance is either metal or plastic and no cut outs regardless of model.

Wood grain dash and steering wheel part of LLM.

Old 04-06-2005, 10:21 PM

i forgot to ask if anyone knows of a company that sells repo front bumpers or does anyone have one, i remember it being a little tweaked

also heres a pic off of some factory book with a chrome valance, looks sharp imo
http://members.shaw.ca/smokingtires/...20brochure.bmp

Old 04-07-2005, 03:23 AM
Senior Chief

Hey Jack - my '71 LeMans Sport has idiot lights with the 140 mph speedo. Had the car since spring '83, so I don't think anyone added it after the fact (if they did, I would have hoped they had the brains to add gauges too!). Is it possible the Sport versions got the 140 and the others 120?