Old 01-07-2010, 12:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to snakepitt1
Default Key off and engine will continue to run

Okay this is now frustrating. When I would turn the ignition key to the off position the engine would continue to run normally. I replaced the ignition switch and the problem went away. Now it is back again. The only way I can shut the engine off is by turning the key to off, with foot on brake, shifting into drive. This kills the engine. Any ideas?

1968 Pontiac Firebird convertible, 400, Ram Air 3 heads, rebuilt TH350 transmission, balanced driveshaft, H-beam rods, forged pistons, Edelbrock performer cam, intake and 750 carb, new top, new interior, powdercoated frame, stripped and painted underbody, front disc brakes, complete MSD ignition. Hotchkis sub frame connectors. All this because I wanted a 4 barrel carb!
Old 01-07-2010, 01:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you replaced the ignition and it worked before I'd say you have an ignition switch problem. Most of the replacement stuff you get now a days is just junk and you may be better off looking for an old lock. Original reg and alternator?

Old 01-07-2010, 01:28 PM

Replaced external voltage regulator last year and new alternator 2 years ago. Could neutral safety switch be at fault? In order to kill car, key off and pull shifter into reverse.

1968 Pontiac Firebird convertible, 400, Ram Air 3 heads, rebuilt TH350 transmission, balanced driveshaft, H-beam rods, forged pistons, Edelbrock performer cam, intake and 750 carb, new top, new interior, powdercoated frame, stripped and painted underbody, front disc brakes, complete MSD ignition. Hotchkis sub frame connectors. All this because I wanted a 4 barrel carb!
Old 01-07-2010, 01:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What kind of ignition do you have? Some ignitions, like the MSD 6al box or a HEI that's wired to a relay for power may cause the issue.

If this is your case, the problem can be corrected by adding a $1.00 diode to the charging circuit wiring.

let us know what ignition configuration you have.

george

Old 01-07-2010, 01:42 PM

I have an MSD Billet distributor and MSD 6AL ignition box along with MSD coil. I replaced the ignition switch once and everything worked great for awhile. Now it is back to engine runs when key is turned to off. Only way to shut off engine is to turn key to off and shift to reverse.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Un-plug the alternator and see if the engine cuts off like it's suppose to.
If it does, get the diode George was talking about.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:18 PM

Okay 2 questions. Are you talking about pulling the connector out of the alternator while the engine is running? I won't get shocked will I. Electricity and me do not like each other.
Next - where would this diode be installed? And what size?

Old 01-07-2010, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Unplug it, crank the engine, then see if it will cut off. You could do it running though.

Get with George for the value/specs of the diode.

Oil light gremlin could be part of this. Oil light only has two wires; ignition and blue to sending unit. A short causing feed back through the oil light could keep the MSD turned on.

MSD site has the diode and how to hook up the hood tach.

Need to get all the eggs in one basket. Probably be a good idea to fix the gas leak before the electrical repairs. Nothing wrong with you and electricity not liking each other.
IMO Getting shocked is better than being on fire. I kinda like the shock thing. Gota TENS unit on 24/7.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

diode is a 1N4001 thru 1N4007. any of those is fine; the voltage ratings are higher in the higher numbers but the 1N4001 at 100V is good enuf. radio Shack has 'em. As QS said, the MSD site has the info on how to install the diode.

QS: that TENS unit do any good? my wife's aunt had one for many years, but she was a hypochondriac...I assumed it was all in her head.

George

Old 01-07-2010, 06:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

with msd you need that diode mine did.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:13 PM

Thanks guys, I'll check out the MSD site for diode placement.