Old 03-10-2024, 02:05 PM

Default '62 Cat Front carpet problem

Looking for photos of the front carpet showing the position of the heel pad for a '62 Catalina . I have a new set from ACC that appears to have the pad placed incorrectly. Hoping that your photos may help arguing the case with the vendor. Attached pics show new section staged with & without the ACC floormat. Having the pad exposed is just not right!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New carpet in position.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	630153   Click image for larger version

Name:	New carpet with floor mat.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	630154  

Old 03-10-2024, 03:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is a picture of the ACC carpet in my '61, it should be the same as '62. I believe the location of the heel pad is correct in my car. The factory only offered rubber mats that should cover more of the floor under your heel, it appears the aftermarket carpeted floor mat is shaped differently so I think it's the problem and not the heel pad.

Last edited by Stuart; 03-10-2024 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-10-2024, 08:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree with Stuart. My 62 has the heel pad in the same position as yours and Stuarts. I had a carpeted mat similar to yours and the taper exposed some of the heel pad. I bought reproduction rubber mats from Ames last year and the problem went away. If the mats came from ACC, possibly send them a pic and possibly they can remake the driver mat a little wider around the accelerator pedal to cover the heel pad. Like the color BTW.

Old 03-11-2024, 08:11 PM

I dunno, guys. The heelpad in the photo without the mat looks like the accelerator mounting studs are coming through it, and not that it is behind them. Perhaps that's just perspective. Stuart, yours appears to be in the right place. I have a set of ACC carpets for my '63 up on the shelf (still in the box), but my upholstery shop wants to use new (fresh) carpet vs what has been sitting in the box for 18 years. I don't know whether he will use ACC or something else. I won't have pics for another month or so.

'63 Bonneville Convertible
'56 Safari
'82 Firebird SE
Old 03-11-2024, 11:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On closer inspection of your picture it does look like the pad is pushed forward a little so it's closer to the gas pedal (I'm comparing where that little rubber flap on the bottom of the gas pedal sits, on my car the floor pad is just behind it but on yours the rubber flap is on top of the pad). You're sure you have the carpet situated on the floor pan correctly? I'm wondering if it should be pulled towards the rear of the car a little. Then again, the way they're molded it's pretty evident how they're supposed to fit.

Old 03-12-2024, 06:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here are some pics of the carpet in my 62 Catalina. Different position of the heel pad and accelerator pedal than either of the ones pictured. My heel pad ends parallel to the rubber on the accelerator pedal flap. The studs go through the carpet only. This carpet has been installed 20+ years so not sure if it is ACC or some other brand. It is moulded though and fits decent, not perfect. I am certain the studs would not go through the heel pad. Possibly there is a 61,62 still out there with OE carpet in it if you want it 100% correct. Good catch Rachelsdad.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	carpet 1.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	630298   Click image for larger version

Name:	carpet 2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	630299   Click image for larger version

Name:	carpet 3.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	630300   Click image for larger version

Name:	carpet 4.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	630301  

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2024, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Good catch Rachelsdad.

Aw, shucks... T'weren't nothin'... :-)

My '63 is going in for carpet and seats April 6. The carpet that's in there now I installed myself in '79. At 19, I wasn't as concerned with matching the factory nylon loop as I am today, so I put in cut pile (from JC Whitney - LOL). I remember, however, taking pains to get the heelpad straight and "about" where the original was set fore and aft. Like yours, mine ended up with the accelerator mounting studs only through the carpet and the lower rubber "tongue" form the pedal simply overlapping the front/top of the heelpad.

When I drop my car with the upholsterer next month, I'll try to make a point of asking him as to how they determine for different cars the relation between the accelerator and the heelpad. The shop I use has been in business for decades and quite well known in the industry (Auto Mat Company, in Hicksville, NY).

Now, all of that having been said (and don't laugh, anyone), I happen to have an original '63 Grand Prix with red interior (all original, including the carpet) sinking into my back yard (another project on the list). Unfortunately, she's down about a foot in a ditch, such that to get a door open, I'll literally have to get out with a shovel and dig a trench. However, I got that car when I did because the interior was in such good shape (as opposed to the body, which was and still is quite a mess). I won't be able to get to that anytime soon, but it's been on my mind to perhaps rent a tractor and pull her out of her spot. This is another reason to put this on this spring's outdoor to-do list.

'56 Safari
'82 Firebird SE
Old 03-12-2024, 11:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For what it's worth, ACC used my original carpet as a pattern for the reproduction carpet in my car now, but I can't say if the location of the heel pad is exactly the same. (I actually got it through Harry Samuel back when he was still in business, he sourced his carpet from ACC. They didn't have a pattern for a Bonneville with a four speed manual so I sent them my original to use.)

Old 03-13-2024, 09:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That is interesting Stuart. This may explain why the heel pad placement is slightly different in our Catalina's than your Bonneville? If they used your original Bonneville carpet for a pattern, it would probably fit a little differently in a Catalina or other full size with a "Slim Jim" transmission tunnel. To get really crazy about this, there would be 4 different carpet patterns really to fit all the 4 size cars perfectly, possibly 6. Bonneville with wide tunnel for Super Hydro trans, then one for 4-speed. Different one for bucket seat vs bench? Same for short wheelbase "Slim Jim" and 4-speed. Bucket vs bench? Or does ACC just make one carpet set based on your sample and say make it fit all the full size cars? That would be my guess. May be why my carpet doesn't fit as snug around the tunnel as it could. Carpet was probably made for the wide Bonneville tunnel. Crazy stuff.

Old 03-13-2024, 09:40 AM

Thanks for the feedback as it helps when talking with the vendor. I have been using Stock Interiors as they have been giving better pricing than direct from ACC along with better customer service.

Old 03-13-2024, 12:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another example of what to expect. 1961 Ventura. Originally Slim Jim so small trans hump. Carpet was I'm pretty sure replaced by PO. Not sure what brand but I have paperwork showing he got samples from both Ames and Harry Samuels in early 2006. I have had car since mid 2006 so I know it is at least that old.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1961Carpet4.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	630317   Click image for larger version

Name:	1961Carpet5.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	630318  

Old 03-13-2024, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Your example is similar to mine. Looks like heel pad is about parallel with the accelerator pedal flap. The entire carpet piece or the heel pad is just an 1" or 1 1/2" back toward the rear of the car from mine. I like the way your installation looks. Lots of variation for sure.

Old 03-13-2024, 04:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
That is interesting Stuart. This may explain why the heel pad placement is slightly different in our Catalina's than your Bonneville? If they used your original Bonneville carpet for a pattern, it would probably fit a little differently in a Catalina or other full size with a "Slim Jim" transmission tunnel. To get really crazy about this, there would be 4 different carpet patterns really to fit all the 4 size cars perfectly, possibly 6. Bonneville with wide tunnel for Super Hydro trans, then one for 4-speed. Different one for bucket seat vs bench? Same for short wheelbase "Slim Jim" and 4-speed. Bucket vs bench? Or does ACC just make one carpet set based on your sample and say make it fit all the full size cars? That would be my guess. May be why my carpet doesn't fit as snug around the tunnel as it could. Carpet was probably made for the wide Bonneville tunnel. Crazy stuff.
That's an interesting question. I looked at my 1961 parts manual and there isn't any mention of floor shift cars, so maybe at the factory they had a way to make the carpets fit over the floor shift porch on the assembly line (I'm thinking like a heat gun to make a hump in the regular carpet.) No separate number for bucket seat cars either, so maybe they handled that on an as needed basis on the assembly line as well (by adding a short piece to cover the driveshaft tunnel between the seats.)

The parts book has part numbers for Ventura two and four doors, Star Chief and Bonneville two and four doors, and Bonneville convertibles. Catalinas were separate since they had vinyl mats with a carpet insert over the trans and driveshaft tunnel. I'm not sure what the difference would be for a Bonneville convertible, I used to have one and I thought the carpet looked the same.

Old 03-13-2024, 06:51 PM

Like you, Stuart, I have always wondered what the difference could possibly be between the Bonneville coupe and convertible. It might have to do with sides of the floorboard which rise up over the frame (the frame on the convertible is wider than the coupe for rigidity lost in the roof).

I've never had a coupe handy to actually measure the sides of the floorboards to prove that, so as I say, I've always just wondered about it.

'56 Safari
'82 Firebird SE
Old 03-13-2024, 09:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Without going back upstairs to look at the parts book again. I think I remember that for 61 Bonne conv at least there were notations for early and late versions. Seems like there was some difference because of changes in the door pillar bracing.

Old 03-14-2024, 12:21 AM

Here is a highly cropped, slightly brightened, and more highly contrasted pic of the accelerator area in a '61 Ventura from last year's POCI convention (I went searching for comparison pics). The car is mostly stock (ignore the modern seat belt and perhaps some other things), though I doubt the carpet is original. Still, it's another example of the rubber just slightly overlaying the heelpad. I hope that's clear in the image.

BTW, Stuart, your mention of Harry Samuels brought a smile to my face. He was a good guy, a wealth of knowledge, and a real asset to the old car hobby. Many moons ago, I wanted to get my interior from Harry for my '63, but the price of the whole thing was just out of my reach. By the time I could afford to go that route and I had the car back to the point of being able to consider an interior (after everything else), Harry had passed. A great loss to us all.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20230701_125345443_HDR.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	630354  

'56 Safari
'82 Firebird SE
Old 03-14-2024, 06:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Rachelsdad

For 1961 at least, although there is a different parts listing for conv frame, the shop manual does not show a different width dimension for conv. The station wagons were all about five inches narrower in the rear section than other models. All seem to be the same width in the passenger area. Maybe that was to allow for the right-side spare tire well in the back to drop lower than the nominal rear compartment area. I'm guessing that the spare tire was in the right rear fender in that year wagon. And I suppose the gas tank was in the left rear fender,

Sorry, I guess we are getting far afield from the OP carpet question.