Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 04-04-2022, 10:59 PM

Default Reproduction Oil Pan Capacity

I purchased the V8 oil pan (P/N N323B) for my 1977 Can Am with the 400. Just installed the pan and added 5 full quarts. It is still showing a quart low. The pan appears to be 'fatter' than my original that had several factory folds, creases and what not. The repro is smooth all over. Has anyone bought this pan and had a similar situation? I hesitate adding another quart unless I was sure that it just has a larger capacity.

Old 04-07-2022, 02:33 PM
Ames Tech Staff member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjenx View Post
I purchased the V8 oil pan (P/N N323B) for my 1977 Can Am with the 400. Just installed the pan and added 5 full quarts. It is still showing a quart low. The pan appears to be 'fatter' than my original that had several factory folds, creases and what not. The repro is smooth all over. Has anyone bought this pan and had a similar situation? I hesitate adding another quart unless I was sure that it just has a larger capacity.
mattjenx, thank you for the inquiry! According to the info we have here, the pan holds 6 quarts excluding 1 in the oil filter.

Old 04-07-2022, 03:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My first job at a Pontiac dealer was working on the grease rack in 1970. From that point I became a service tech and did so for 50 years. I'll give you the knowledge I have about the Pontiac V8s, and the oil capacities.

Up until 1966 Pontiacs held 5 quarts in the pan, 1 in the filter. They also used the long filter at that time that held a full quart.

In 1967, for no apparent reason, they went to 6 in the pan,. and 1 in the filter. The gauge, or dipstick, was changed to reflect the new added 1 quart. One year only dipstick is 67, pan is the same

In 1968 the returned to the 5 in the pan and 1 in the filter, but at this time the factory was changing over to the short filter, so 5.5 in the pan, and .5 in the filter. They carried that out until 1979 on the regular deck height engines. The same goes for the 301, 265, short deck engines.

Other than some minor changes, (baffles, and oil plug locations) the Pontiac V8 pans were the same design from 55-81. The dipstick markings were changed to reflect the engineers adding or subtracting oil from the full volume.

Hope this knowledge may be helpful.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2022, 11:30 PM

Great to know. Thanks!