Old 05-08-2012, 04:48 PM

Default 60 Bonneville

I am new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself as well as ask a question about the carburetor on my 1960 Bonneville. I have had the car for about 10 years and it is fully restored back to original. It was completely original when purchased. It is a 2 door non-ac car with an automatic transmission. I have had the carburetor rebuilt a couple of times and it just seems to work for a while and doesn't have the best drivability. I am thinking of replacing the original carb with a new Holly or Edlebrock and was hoping someone on this forum had some experience in this area and could lend words of wisdom. I would of course keep the original carb; I am mainly looking for better drivability and performance.

Thanks

Old 05-08-2012, 07:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I suggest contacting Jon at http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/. He's a member here and is probably the best source for a quality rebuild of your original carburetor. It should work fine if set up properly.

If the car doesn't get driven very often you could be having problems with modern gas; personally I haven't had any particular issues with it in my old cars, but it can cause problems.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't mention Edelbrock to Jon...he flat doesn't like them ..
A Holly would look out of place to me..Not sure air cleaner would fit ??
I take it it's a AFB 4 barrel ? Are you sure it's a carburetor problem ?? To me AFB's are one the simplest reliable carbs out there..JMO..What's the problem??
One last question...got any pictures??...

One thing to check...60's were bad for the choke heat tube rotting out inside the heat crossover in intake..tends to gum up the auto choke..

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 05-09-2012, 09:22 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the advice. The problems are basically hesitation and it just doesn't feel like it's getting enough gas, tends to run a bit hot and I am thinking lean. I am all in on getting the original rebuilt again and I think I will contact Jon at the Carburetor shop to see how to best get that done. I didn't want to have an aftermarket carb necessarily, just thought it might run better with the new ethanol blend. I have pictures, but am still figuring out how to post them.

Glad I found this site; from what I have read everyone is helpful and very knowledgeable. Even though the Bonneville has been completely restored to original, I still drive it on occasion and enjoy going to the occasional car show.

Thanks again.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:52 AM

I beleive I managed to get a few photos uploaded into my album - 1960 Bonneville. Hope they can be viewed by members

Old 05-09-2012, 03:35 PM

Might want to check the exhaust heat riser. I have seen problems like that when they are stuck shut because of carbon/corrosion or the spring rusting off.

Old 04-16-2022, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique View Post
Might want to check the exhaust heat riser. I have seen problems like that when they are stuck shut because of carbon/corrosion or the spring rusting off.
Without a spring being present - what is the position of the weight when it's open? Mine is missing and frozen in place - no other way to know if it's open or closed w/o taking the manifold off.

Old 04-16-2022, 07:19 PM
Senior Chief

You can post a photo of your car with your introduction if you like
John L

Sent from my SM-A426B using Tapatalk

Old 04-19-2022, 08:50 AM
Senior Chief

Necro-thread - Fordiac hasn't stopped by here in almost 10 years . . .

1957 Chieftain 4D HT