Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 06-19-2022, 07:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default GM airbag recall ... how long to fix

I need to schedule an appointment to have the recall work done on the passenger airbag of my 2011 GMC Sierra ... was wondering if anyone knows the approximate time it requires to repair?

Dealer is 20 minutes away and it's going to be a pain to leave it and pick it up.

Thanks

Old 06-19-2022, 07:57 AM
Senior Chief

Doesn’t the recall letter give the approximate time of the repair? I’ve had several GM recall letters and they described the work that was to be done as well as the approximate time needed. Without knowing what the “repair” involves kind of hard to give an estimated time for the repair unless someone posts who has had this recall work done.

The Following User Says Thank You to 64-3Deuces For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2022, 09:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
I need to schedule an appointment to have the recall work done on the passenger airbag of my 2011 GMC Sierra ... was wondering if anyone knows the approximate time it requires to repair?

Dealer is 20 minutes away and it's going to be a pain to leave it and pick it up.

Thanks
I think I found the text of the recall. But there were several air bag recalls that year. If you could post the NHTSA recall number, that would nail it down. The main one I found is 25 pages of text explaining the replacement of the passenger air bag. The new one for a 2011 Sierra will require a new bracket to mount it as well as the new air bag. Takes a special tool to attach the new bracket. Flat rate is around 1 hour depending on the options you may have. I would expect if their not super bust to expect a 2 hour wait to be safe. One thing in the text I just hate is the repair kit includes a few Scotch Locks that they expect the tech's to use. Under the best circumstances, they are crap and the worst possible way to repair wires IMO. Using them in a air bag system is sketchy at best.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2022, 08:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Recall number is: N212328800
It's the BIG Takata airbag recall thing.

The letter they sent has no details on time required.

Yes I was kind of hoping someone that had it done would post. Was hoping since it's truck it wouldn't be a very long process ... things being much more accessible on a full size truck.

I'll do some searching on the recall number and see what I can find.

I'm up in the air about having it done. Evidently there is not one example of anyone being hurt by the passenger bag in GM trucks and I'm not keen on have the perfect factory dash torn open and probably thrown back together by someone that may not care as much about this 11 year old truck as I do. Truck is very low optioned when it comes to luxury items so at least not a lot of extra complexity there.

Last edited by dataway; 06-20-2022 at 08:27 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to dataway For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2022, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
I think I found the text of the recall. But there were several air bag recalls that year. If you could post the NHTSA recall number, that would nail it down. The main one I found is 25 pages of text explaining the replacement of the passenger air bag. The new one for a 2011 Sierra will require a new bracket to mount it as well as the new air bag. Takes a special tool to attach the new bracket. Flat rate is around 1 hour depending on the options you may have. I would expect if their not super bust to expect a 2 hour wait to be safe. One thing in the text I just hate is the repair kit includes a few Scotch Locks that they expect the tech's to use. Under the best circumstances, they are crap and the worst possible way to repair wires IMO. Using them in a air bag system is sketchy at best.
The Toyota Air Bag recall gives the Tech some scotch locks as well, but they are for the old inflator, it shorts the wires together so the old one will not discharge upon removal or returning to manufacturer. Same manufacturer as toyota airbags.

Old 06-23-2022, 08:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans64 View Post
The Toyota Air Bag recall gives the Tech some scotch locks as well, but they are for the old inflator, it shorts the wires together so the old one will not discharge upon removal or returning to manufacturer. Same manufacturer as toyota airbags.
Thanks for the info. That would make me feel better and finally a legitimate use for Scotchlocks. !

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2022, 10:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I need to take my gmc in. The time is open from letter. Sooooo who knows.

The Following User Says Thank You to sdbob For This Useful Post: