Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 07-07-2022, 03:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Cleaned old hardware

Like most people I have a couple of drawers of GM hardware to go through if needed. I got tired of looking through a bunch of filthy rusty bolts and then having to fire up the bead blaster to clean them one at a time.

I had an old cylindrical rock tumbler on the shelf so I put in a handful of bolts, a cup or so of black beauty sand, cup or so of water and some degreaser. Closed it up and let it run for about two days or more.

Stuff doesn't come out perfect, not like you carefully glass beaded them one at a time, but removes 95% of the grease, rust and corrosion.

So every couple of days I grab a handful of bolts that are worth cleaning, flange head, special head markings, unusual designs ... stuff you can't buy off the shelf, throw them in, two days later throw in another batch. Way way quieter than a vibrator.

Slowly working my way through all the old hardware, at some point I may even sort them into sizes.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tumbled-Bolts.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	593852  

Last edited by dataway; 07-07-2022 at 04:10 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dataway For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2022, 08:35 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

nice

Old 07-07-2022, 09:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good idea

Old 07-07-2022, 02:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Awesome idea! I just cleaned out a shed and there was a tool box full of Pontiac bolts, the guy was going to scrap them and I said wait just a minute!!

Old 07-07-2022, 04:07 PM

yeah, i soak them in vinegar then have to put them in a cleaner then light oil to keep them from rusting again. this looks like a good method. thanks for the knowledge.

Old 07-07-2022, 04:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The parkerizing (black phosphate) process is pretty easy in the event you wanted to take it a step further. Bottle of chemical, outdoor stove with a pot and strainer and you can knock a bunch out quickly.

1968 GTO 4-spd convertible, console, factory gauges, hidden headlights, 3.90:1 posi, AM/FM radio.

1962 Catalina convertible, Starlight black w maroon interior & white top.
Old 07-07-2022, 04:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The bolts won't hold parkerizing " all over"unless they are degreased and or a quick etc.

Last edited by Formulabruce; 07-07-2022 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-08-2022, 02:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep I usually parkerize bolts before I use them, so often I have to glass bead them anyway. I originally was trying to devise something to glass bead them in volume. Some kind of rotating mechanism hooked up to a bead blaster that recircs the media ... but who's got the time to mess with something like that.

But a lot of engine bolts, and OEM painted bolts etc. won't need anything but a spray with brake cleaner after this process before they can be used or painted.

At the very least it prevents me from constantly wanting to throw them away because they are nasty. Strangely enough I expected these to rust immediately after doing this, so far I've been adding to the pile for two weeks and not a speck of surface rust forming on them. And I haven't put a drop of oil on them yet.

Soon I'm going to pick the most unusual of them and post pictures for identification, kind of like a Hardware Jeopardy