Old 06-29-2022, 08:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Question REPLACING BODY MOUNTS

Is it possible to do this with the front clip on, my car is complete and I would rather not pull it apart.

Old 06-29-2022, 09:42 PM
Senior Chief

Always did a frame off but if you have the time and patience I think it could be done. 14 body and 2 core support mounts. 64/67 first would try and see if I can loosen all the body mount bolts including the core support.if you can’t get them loose then you will have some work to do.
Take the rear shocks off the rear end so you don’t have to fight with that when you raise the body. I would also take the rag joint off the steering column. Also there are bolts that go from the front inner wheel well to the firewall. Do one side at a time. Loose one side a couple of turns and the other side remove all of them. See if you can jack up one side enough to remove the old mounts. The rear one over the rear end will not be easy to get out. The front fender will have to be raised a little also.
I might be wrong with some of this info. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Old 06-29-2022, 10:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428goat View Post
Always did a frame off but if you have the time and patience I think it could be done. 14 body and 2 core support mounts. 64/67 first would try and see if I can loosen all the body mount bolts including the core support.if you can’t get them loose then you will have some work to do.
Take the rear shocks off the rear end so you don’t have to fight with that when you raise the body. I would also take the rag joint off the steering column. Also there are bolts that go from the front inner wheel well to the firewall. Do one side at a time. Loose one side a couple of turns and the other side remove all of them. See if you can jack up one side enough to remove the old mounts. The rear one over the rear end will not be easy to get out. The front fender will have to be raised a little also.
I might be wrong with some of this info. Maybe someone else can chime in.
I didn't even think about the shocks and inner fender bolts, glad I asked the question. I have been able to loosen all the bolts expect the 2 at the firewall, I need to get a spanner on them as they are spinning.
thanks for the helpful info, please keep it coming.

Old 06-30-2022, 07:45 AM
Senior Chief

Maybe I was wrong about the finder to firewall bolts. I would think anything that bolts body to frame needs to be unbolted.

Old 06-30-2022, 01:34 PM
Senior Chief

https://youtu.be/-NdFIAt7ysE

Old 06-30-2022, 05:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzmann View Post
I didn't even think about the shocks and inner fender bolts, glad I asked the question. I have been able to loosen all the bolts expect the 2 at the firewall, I need to get a spanner on them as they are spinning.
thanks for the helpful info, please keep it coming.
I was able to loosen those two fronts with the front clip still in place on mine when I installed a one-piece trunk pan. It was kind of a last minute decision after I had already reassembled the car but before paint. It wasn't easy but as I recall I think I may have wound up using a big adjustable wrench slipped into the access hole in the lower cowl.
IIRC it's a square nut.
The trick is to get the wrench to capture the nut. Once you've done that the pressure from turning the bolt will hold it in place.
Keep in mind that I did not remove that mount but just loosened it so I could lift the rear of the body up from the frame. It might be real tricky to get that nut started if you're talking about a complete removal and replacement.

Old 07-11-2022, 08:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

OK, I did my body mounts with the car complete. Wasn't that hard, all caged nuts played the game, the only issue I had was the 2 firewall nuts.
I actually drilled a 60mm whole in the inner guard to access the nuts which were near impossible to undo, one bolt snapped.
I will fiberglass up the holes and paint over and no one will be the wiser.
Thanks for the advice guys.