Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 07-16-2022, 01:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Stripped spark plug hole in 16 hp kohler engine. I didnt.

Pulled spark plug from 16 hp kohler engine I bought. Someone previous had stripped hole and put an insert in to fix. Well the insert came out with plug. I put it back in but tightened slightly.I guess he should have used a thread locker.Is there any repair for this situation?

Old 07-16-2022, 11:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Would you be able to pull the head, repair with JB Weld and then re-chase the threads?

Old 07-17-2022, 12:28 AM
Senior Chief

What type of insert was it? Helicoil?

Years ago when I worked in a small engine shop, we would see this type of thing frequently.

A properly installed Helicoil should not come out, at least I have never seen one. Right way to repair would be to pull the head, and install a Helicoil, but have heard of some people able to do it with the head on by either vacuuming out the aluminum chips from the tap or heavily greasing the tap to catch the chips from dropping in the cylinder.

Old 07-17-2022, 10:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not sure it was tight on plug.

Old 07-17-2022, 11:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would reinstall the Heli- coil insert with red loctite.

After that's dry I would install the plug with never-sieze.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 07-17-2022, 03:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a time cert kit that will put a solid bushing in the stripped out hole for a more permanent repair. I assume this is a flat head aluminum head? If you want to send it to me I will put one in for you. If it's aluminum, it can be welded and re-tapped. Lots of ways to fix it.

Old 07-17-2022, 03:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks guys. When mowing season done I'm going to fix.ill take you up on that offer mgarblik. I did find a used good head. However I would like to repair.Also which I didnt even consider, the 4 bolts holding engine in tractor. Worked they way loose from aluminum oil pan. I heard common,from vibration. I got cast iron oil pan,blue thread locker will be used. My older Cubs dont have these little problems.