Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 07-17-2022, 09:34 PM
Senior Chief

Default Turning Silver Into Gold

My '77 Trans Am has a gold turned dash bezel. The old plate that went around the defrost switch was damaged beyond repair. I couldn't find a replacement gold one, and I'm adding a switch (the old-style power door lock switch), so I bought a reproduction silver plate with 2 holes.

Is there a yellow-tinted varnish I can use to make it somewhat match the rest of the bezel?

Old 07-18-2022, 01:18 AM
Suspended

Likely many. But you want it so weak and thinly applied that you can't even see it is clear yellow at first. Apply a coating, let it dry, compare. Add another coat. So many end up with a deep, sickly yellow dash and they look horrible and match nothing. Easy to test on a scrap piece of clean aluminium first. And even if you overdo it, drop it in some thinners and try again the next day, don't scrub or try to wipe too much or the machining will be affected.

Old 07-18-2022, 10:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

maybe try to contact randy combs to see if he would just coat it for you? he has the correct color for the gold bezels & that will avoid experimenting with unknown varnishes.