Old 07-17-2022, 07:35 PM

Default 62 Bonneville aftermarket AC

Non-AC car originally with factory power steering, looking for advice suggestions for an aftermarket AC installation and some photos of completed systems. Looks like the hurdles are compressor/alternator mounting and finding 3 groove pulleys.

Old 07-17-2022, 09:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Look for thread VinAir in 61 Pt 1 in this subject. Might help. I found original comp and generator mounts. Hard to find. Same for pulleys. When factory went to AC the crank pulley changed diameter and back spacing. Then added a separate third pulley for AC comp. WP pulley decreased a little in diameter. The PS pulley also changed in diameter and back spacing. Some used to come through ebay but I haven't seen any for quite a while. You might try Franks Pontiac Parts in CA.

Old 07-17-2022, 10:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think the 63 pontiac A/C alt bracket will work and line up.They show up on ebay.Tom

The Following User Says Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2022, 09:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I bought my 1962 Bonneville it had "OldAir" ac system on it. The car had a bracket that moved an Alternator to the drivers side. It ran the PS and Alt off the same belt and used the original 2nd pulley to drive the AC compressor. The compressor mounts to the head with what looks like a factory brkt held by the head bolts. There is a bracket on the front that is obviously supplied by them that also has a idler pulley. They supplied a water valve and controls. I didn't like their controls so I converted the factory heater controls to work their system. I installed a NAPA cable operated water valve and used the Heat lever to move it. I used the original fan lever to operate the 3 speed fan. I used the first push button to turn power on or off. The 2nd button to supply power to the fan switch. The 3rd button to turn on/off the compressor. I installed the Compressor TEMP switch to the hole where the cigar lighter was and added a 1962 factory dash knob to make it look correct. It works very well.